Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athiests - Who cares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Atheist logic: There are no other dimensions except the first, second and third.

And the pride which comes from their hubris in revelling in such wilful nescience only galvanises their ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Atheist logic: There are no other dimensions except the first, second and third.

So atheists don't pay attention to string theory or quantum mechanics, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

So, you are saying Atheists dont believe in time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Catholic/Muslim etc logic : I think, therefore it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Incorrect.

You can see the sixth dimension?

papu wrote: »
    so wrong.

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Laughing my ass off here at some of the posts on this thread.

Yes, we can thank the various churches around the world for quantum physics and string theory!

You can see the sixth dimension?

Do you describe your God as real or simply a theory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

smash wrote: »
    Can you address my previous post...

They all exist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, correlation is not causation.
    Shows your lack of understanding of human nature.

Again your post is nothing got to do with mine, I don't think you understand it yet from what you have written.

Yes, we can thank the various churches around the world for quantum physics and string theory!

Close!
    Monseigneur Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître, (French: [ʒɔʁʒə ləmɛtʁ] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen); 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Belgian priest, astronomer and professor of physics at the French section of the Catholic University of Leuven.[1] He was the first known academic to propose the theory of the expansion of the universe, widely misattributed to Edwin Hubble.[2][3] He was also the first to derive what is now known as Hubble's law and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article.[4][5][6][7] Lemaître also proposed what became known as the Big Bang theory of the origin of the Universe, which he called his "hypothesis of the primeval atom" or the "Cosmic Egg".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

maybe not those two, but their are many other examples of how various churches have contributed and worked with science to make great progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

And?

He's saying your pathetic attempt at making a smarmy quip about Atheists lack of critical thinking was not only wholly ignorant but laughably hypocritical.

Not a hard point to pick up on really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

And?

In spacetime there are 4 dimensions. Length, width, height and time. That is more than 3

Again your post is nothing got to do with mine, I don't think you understand it yet from what you have written.

Ah well...

In spacetime there are 4 dimensions. Length, width, height and time. That is more than 3

OK, you can see time?

kneemos wrote: »
    They all exist.

:confused:

• Advertisement

maybe not those two, but their are many other examples of how various churches have contributed and worked with science to make great progress.

Give me a list of the most important ones, seeing as there are many.

So why are you denying the possibility of the 6th dimension?

So why are you denying the possibility of the 6th dimension?

I'm not...at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I only believe in Father Christmas. At least he gives me stuff.

Constance - are you countering the atheism position by pointing at things that we cant see and asking why those are believed in if God isnt? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

OK, you can see time?

You should watch this:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/

It's very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

OK, you can see time?

We can measure time.

Constance - are you countering the atheism position by pointing at things that we cant see and asking why those are believed in if God isnt? :pac:

No.

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

OK, you can see time?
    Yes :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

No.
    Then what are you actually saying?

OK, you can see time?

No, I was correcting your there are 3 dimensions comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Personally I think there is a difference between Atheists and Anti-Theists Atheists.
    Its perfectly possible to be Atheist or Agnostic and absolutely not care about religion or what religious people do (as long as its in the parameters of the socially acceptable behavior of wider society), I had an elderly conservative close relative that this was the case for, absence of religion was not a factor in her life it just was.
    To me an example of this is attitudes towards schooling, an Atheist/Agnostic might campaign to have access to a schooling that fits their view point, the Anti-Theist Atheist view would be to have this but also to consider the closure of schools and increasing the difficulty of parents enrolling their children in a schools with a religious ethos as a positive. (this is a western european context where a national curriculum must be followed).

A second thing is I'm always sort of baffled by the attitude of some young Irish Atheists in relation to society, if somebody is ten years younger than me I don't understand how they feel they grew up in a conservative country :confused:

Atheists are a literal bunch.
    maybe one begats the other.

smash wrote: »
    Then what are you actually saying?

I'm saying we shouldn't discount the existence of something we don't fully understand.

No, I was correcting your there are 3 dimensions comment.

I never stated that I believed there were only three dimensions.

I never stated that I believed there were only three dimensions.

You claimed it was atheist logic to think so for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Had a friend going around telling the whole local pub he is an athiest after a few jars. I know another Athiest who loves telling people that he is an athiest and going on about how he has been arguing about his wife about baptising the child and keeps bringing it up. I don't care if you are an athiest just please stay quiet about it! How are your athiest friends?

But sometimes you get the same with religious people. I have had experiences with lots of different religions where they are constantly trying to convert you or something or sometimes they can sound a bit condescending when they are talking like they know they are going to heaven and your not or something.

I have a friend and she literally acts like she is some other category than you because of her religion but yet she expects me to have total respect for her religion (which I do), I don't feel that she has the same respect for my beliefs although my beliefs probably don't fit in any definition.

I was once having a conversation with her about Easter. I was explaining to her what Catholics believe and I said that Catholics believe that Jesus rose from the dead and that is what is celebrated on Easter Sunday. She turned to me and said 'yea but he didnt' and I said 'no im just saying what catholics believe in' and she said again 'but he didn't, it didn't happen' :-s

My husband is atheist and he was in the pub one time and someone asked him what his religion was and he said 'atheist' and the guy turned around shocked and said 'but your actually a nice person' haha

I do believe that some people have an idea that atheists are empty soulless people with no morals.

Like other posters have said your either a good person or not and if you are an atheist and a good person and do good things, at least your not doing it so you get a reward from god. Your just doing it because its a good thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ugh,

I feel a thread-lock coming.

Ugh,

I feel a thread-lock coming.

BRACE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Something I've noticed that the religious folks in this thread don't seem to be able to grasp is that 'atheists' are not a homogeneous group of people, akin to those who share a religion.

Atheism is just the lack of a belief in a deity. That is it.

'Not believing in something' is not a 'thing'. It's just a lack of belief. It's not a bucket you put atheists into, along with a load of other beliefs they share in common. There are no beliefs to connect them together.

Therefore you cannot say 'Atheists believe X, Y, Z' in the same way you can say 'Catholics believe in X, Y Z'.

The only assumption you can make is that 'atheists do not believe in a deity'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

kneemos wrote: »
    Atheists are a literal bunch.

It's true, when someone says "God exists", I think they mean it literally.

Lots of them really do, but sometimes I meet someone who says "God exists" but means something silly, like they have a teddy bear on their bookshelf at home named God.

Or that "God" means "the idea of God".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Claptop is God. Clapton exists, ergo God exists.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

\thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

o1s1n wrote: »
    Something I've noticed that the religious folks in this thread don't seem to be able to grasp is that 'atheists' are not a homogeneous group of people, akin to those who share a religion.

'Not believing in something' is not a 'thing'. It's just a lack of belief. It's not a bucket you put atheists into, along with a load of other beliefs they share in common. There are no beliefs to connect them together.

Therefore you cannot say 'Atheists believe X, Y, Z' in the same way you can say 'Catholics believe in X, Y Z'.

The only assumption you can make is that 'atheists do not believe in a deity'.

Yeah I made that point earlier - I am not an atheist, I am simply atheist.
    I don't meet up with fellow atheists discussing what we don't believe in and plotting the downfall of the Roman church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

o1s1n wrote: »

'Not believing in something' is not a 'thing'. It's just a lack of belief. It's not a bucket you put atheists into, along with a load of beliefs. There are no beliefs to connect them together.

Very true but I think there is a tendency towards a certain set of social mores/views that often coincide with someone being aware another person is an Atheist (e.g the type of Atheist that tells you ;) ), take a gander at A&A and you can see there is some very strong trends among the majority of posters that don't simply relate to lack of belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Very true but I think there is a tendency towards a certain set of social mores/views that often coincide with someone being aware another person is an Atheist (e.g the type of Atheist that tells you ;) ), take a gander at A&A and you can see there is some very strong trends among the majority of posters that don't simply relate to lack of belief

Yeah but A&A is not a random sample of atheists. It's a sample of people who are atheists who want to spend time talking about atheism. That's a much more specific group of people.

Yeah but A&A is not a random sample of atheists. It's a sample of people who are atheists who want to spend time talking about atheism. That's a much more specific group of people.

And biscuits.

We are all atheist really!

There are approx 200 documented gods or deities.

Christians do not believe in 199 of them.

Therefore they are atheist to all but 1 god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

This may be true in some cases in regard to issues like abortion, equal marriage and other similar issues of social justice/rights. This is most likely because religion is the root cause of these rights being restricted and because we do not subscribe to religion we share a lack of religious based opposition. Still it is not the case that all atheists will agree that such rights should be granted to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Duggy747 wrote: »
    No it isn't, it's a lack of faith / belief system.

No. Stating that God doesn't exist is a faith position, because there is no way of knowing whether this is true. Have an old think about it before you or anyone replies.

I think it might take 2 more generations but I think the majority of people in the world will be atheist soon enough. The internet allows people to see religion from all angles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

We are all atheist really!

There are approx 200 documented gods or deities.

Christians do not believe in 199 of them.

Therefore they are atheist to all but 1 god.

No, Athiest means they believe no god at all.

Advertisement