Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bassett hound wont settle at night

• 08-01-2015 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

It's goin on the last 2 wks getting up 3 times a Night to her now we did change her dog food as she seemed to be losing weight so she's on dry food thought maybe to salty so added water to it didn't change anything tried feeding her earlier in the day didn't change anything and its not like she needs a drink or wants to use the toilet when we let her out she just barks to get back in . Have her 5 years and this only starting have 2 other dogs 2 shih tzus and they ok. Driving me and the other half mad as we both do shift work so sleep getting messed up. Any ideas what's going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

could be just looking for attention? is it the youngest/oldest of the group? does it get regular exercise? my dog used to bark and bark non-stop for ages early mornings…he's keep doing it until someone actually got up to scold him..then he went back to sleep. just looking for attention, the decker.

or you say you think it may have lost weight? perhaps its feeling unwell and by barking, its seeking attention to let you know all is not well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishtris

berger89 wrote: »
    could be just looking for attention? is it the youngest/oldest of the group? does it get regular exercise? my dog used to bark and bark non-stop for ages early mornings…he's keep doing it until someone actually got up to scold him..then he went back to sleep. just looking for attention, the fecker.

She's the second eldest but even if we give out she not bothered she gets walked regularly and normally hikes up mountains at weekends

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Any unusual changes in behaviour in an adult dog should prompt a visit to the vet if you haven't done so already, particularly in light of her unusual weight loss too.
    By this I mean a proper vet exam with full blood testing and urinalysis, not just a quick poke before saying the dog's fine. Bar reducing the food and/or upping her exercise, unexpected weight loss should not be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Weirdly, our terrier had been doing the same thing for the last few weeks. She's 2 and we've had her 2 years without any issues. Slept no bother in the kitchen from day one. Then suddenly about 3 weeks ago she started scratching at the door during the night.
    Ruling out everything else, we assumed that something in the kitchen must've spooked her (possibly christmas decorations/ cards falling down). She can be quite a nervous dog at loud noises and sudden movements. It just became a habit then as the nights went on. When we would go down to her she would fly up the hall like something was after her, not her usual greeting. We eventually ignored the scratching for a few nights and she settled again once she wasnt getting the attention.

On a side note, I would second the opinion of getting the weight loss checked out by a vet. It may/may not be related but at least it could be ruled out.

Advertisement