Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Galway West - big shower of wet sleet and I think I heard some thunder.

3.5C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Am I gonna have to get the chainsaw out again?

[IMG][/img]Picture005.jpg

(Knocklyon 2010) I think!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Currently light rain with a temp of 7.1c here in Waterford City. I'm not that hopeful we will see any snow showers here tomorrow but one thing that is in our favour is a SW slow. A Westerly is useless here as the Comeraghs just soak up the showers. Still with snow potential for a lot tomorrow and a wind event Wednesday something interesting to follow anyway.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Look at all the deep convection out to the west, buckets of snow for yeeee
    http://sat24.com/?ir=true

Small change of a dusting in London by tomorrow night according to the met, got a warning on my phone earlier for snow for Buckingham, Oxfordshire, Reading etc. Nothing on the scale of what parts of Ireland will see but it's been an extremely boring winter so far so anything would do

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gonzo wrote: »
    looking at the radar the front is now stretching down the middle of the country but appears to be breaking up as it heads eastwards from County Offally down to county Cork.

Temp dropped 1.2C in a squally hail and sleet shower a few minutes ago here near Tralee, steady wind avg 26 kph W, gust 47 kph

Hail still melting in my gauge :)

Temp 5.8C atm

Bar 999.4mb Steady .Temperatures should start to drop soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Harps wrote: »
    Small change of a dusting in London by tomorrow night according to the met, got a warning on my phone earlier for snow for Buckingham, Oxfordshire, Reading etc. Nothing on the scale of what parts of Ireland will see but it's been an extremely boring winter so far so anything would do

Yea perhaps a chance in the early hours if one of those shower bands affects us, but don't think it will be cold enough anyway.

Will need some frontal snow to push up from the south and some evaporative cooling for snow!

A very boring and mild winter yep :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Pippy Baby wrote: »
    What can Dublin expect ? Anything like 2010?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pippy baby- for Dublin, very little if any showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Not a chance. Very little, if any snow at all unfortunately. Still will be chilly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

People really need to let 2010 go! Once in a generation event at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We'll see.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

I'll believe it when my phone predicts snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The best thing to expect is nothing, anything that falls over the next 48 hours will be a bonus! Keep this in mind to avoid disappointment. Atlantic cold rarely delivers to these parts and when it does it's usually not much.

Decent snow from the Atlantic over Leinster is much more rare than a decent easterly and those are rare enough as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The snow and ice warnings are no longer on Met Eireann website

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The snow and ice warnings are no longer on Met Eireann website

Probably being updated, give them a few minutes.

Knock airport now 2 degrees....with a gust of 29 knots....chilly!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temp of about 6, DP of about 2, no snow anywhere near here. Probably need to be about 500-600 meters up for anything starting to approach snowman.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Negative DP now at Belmullet.

pointrosee_uk_wdi7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cold in Sligo Town. Ice warnings on the car display, heavy showers, but no white stuff through it yet.

The same as mountain man, an inch or two would be nice to wake up to, but no more as have the usual day to day stuff to do as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Heavy hailstones in Galway West.

• Advertisement

Orange warning now issued

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Clare, Kerry and Limerick
    Wintry, thundery showers of hail, sleet and snow along with icy patches on roads and footpaths from early hours of Tuesday until Wednesday morning with snow accumulations of 4 to 8 cm. The highest amounts will be on high ground in Connacht and west Ulster.
    Issued:
    Monday 12 January 2015 22:00

Valid:
    Tuesday 13 January 2015 00:01 to Tuesday 13 January 2015 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

And we have an Orange weather warning ! typical And where am I tomorrow... leaving the lovely (snowy Hopefully) Northwest to drive to the East!! And is the East included in the warning nope its not.. just
    'Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Clare, Kerry and Limerick'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Thunder and lightening in Salthill with sheeting icy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Slight change in second Yellow Warning:

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Leinster, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow along with icy patches on roads and footpaths from early hours of Tuesday until Wednesday morning with snow accumulations of up to 4 cm in places. The highest amounts will on high ground.

Issued:Monday 12 January 2015 22:00
    Valid:Tuesday 13 January 2015 00:01 to Wednesday 14 January 2015 09:00

Mods please update thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cork and Tipp dropped in the update....oh there they are in the yucky yellow snow :)

The 2355 broadcast from met eireann on radio 1 will be a must!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Cork and Tipp dropped in the update....oh there they are in the yucky yellow snow :)

Booooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

only 1.9c in Sligo now as a clearer slot has moved in after the rain.

Still it could be -2c here and rain.

However Id be optimistic of seeing snow by morning time at least a dusting;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Villain wrote: »
    STATUS YELLOW

No-Snow-ice Warning for Dublin.
    Absolutely NO Wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow along with icy patches on roads and footpaths from early hours of Tuesday until Wednesday morning.
    There will be no snow accumulations of up to 4 cm in places. None on high ground either.

Issued:Monday 12 January 2015 22:00
    Valid:Tuesday 13 January 2015 00:01 to Wednesday 14 January 2015 09:00

Fixed your post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement