Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Have just looked at satellite animation on http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html and my confidence has grown a LOT that there may be a fairly substantial snow event in many parts tomorrow. That massive area of intensifying and enlarging area of precip (fairly safe to say that it is snow) that is currently moving southeastwards after originating just west of the south of Greenland is currently making a bee line for Ireland. I do have a fear that it may turn to a more easterly direction before it gets here (going by the current direction of the cloud masses to the west of and over Ireland) and may pass to the north or may only affect more northern areas but only time will tell.

I usually take a back seat for these kind of events and have a tendency to be pessimistic but I have a gut feeling that we could be in for something good by first thing tomorrow morning, in addition to the showers forecast during the night - not necessarily for everyone on the island but things seem have been turned up a notch or two in the past few hours.....from my perspective anyway.

I may well be eating my hat come tomorrow though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sleet falling in Castlebar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

Any snow falling in Munster yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Light snow shower in Galway city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Light rain in drogheda so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

murdig wrote: »
    Any snow falling in Munster yet?

Nothing of interest at the moment but I see an area of showers that appear to be getting more organised not far off the south west coast. This "might" give something more organised in southwestern areas in the next few hours, with higher ground in the south west being at highest risk. Hopefully Liam will be a happy man in the morning.

Just checked the 3 hour forecast on Met Eireann and they seem to have picked up on what I have just mentioned.....if this pans out, there could be a very decent covering in the south west, except maybe for those in coastal and very low lying areas - http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Nothing here near Enfield. 2 degrees. Bit of rain earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

light rain in maynooth too but then never expected anything here. fairly lively with wind though. laughing to myself here. people are like ships in the night peeping in here at all hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Still nothing in South Donegal... I am glad the storm for Wednesday isn't coming but I am disappointed with no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Thunderstorm activity in louisburgh Co. Mayo with hail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Thunderstorm Seems to be heading in the westport direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Going with the trends from earlier, here in Clare I've just got a slight rise in temperature and slight drop in temperature before a shower arrives, the temperature will now plummet, hopefully enough for snow :). Although it is west Clare, and snow is scarcer than jobs here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Feckin rain alarm app woke me with loud hissing rain sound wtf nearly had heart attack :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Snowing now in Castlebar, nice dusting so far and sticking, hopefully it gets heavier!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Car nicely covered in white East Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The deep convection continues to march steadily east, looking like a stead increase in shower activity from now on

http://sat24.com/?ir=true

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Having a heavy shower now, will be quite a bit if this keeps up. couple of pics :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Started snowing here in NW Cork 2 minutes ago. Fairly heavy too

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

marno21 wrote: »
    Started snowing here in NW Cork 2 minutes ago. Fairly heavy too

Whats your elevation there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Whats your elevation there?
    198m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Last shower was just a touch North of me and dropped some hail here. Still a few strong gusts around too.
    Finally the temp has decided to drop, it has been 4/5 degrees all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Snowing Cork airport not sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

Snowing northside of Cork City. Not really sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

There's a dusting of hail and snow in Achill, slowly melting before being replaced in the next shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Bitof snow on the floor here, nothing amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Good inch and a half here in Donegal Derry border region :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Snowing hard mid louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Very decent covering in Letterkenny at sea level, an inch or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Plenty of cloud cover in Dublin. city centre and cold wind but no snow (Grafton street).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement