Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

The snow accumulation risk at low ground is a good 20 or so miles at least inland from the west coast. That's the problem with an onshore breeze across thousands of miles of ocean.

Westport well covered 1/2 miles from coast but in general I would expect inland Mayo to fair better.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Snowing heavily the last 20mins here, no end in sight. 5-7cm must lie on the ground. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Oooh, getting dark again in Waterford :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Snowing heavily the last 20mins here, no end in sight. 5-7cm must lie on the ground. :cool:

where are you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at that on raintoday we may finally get some here in Dublin. I hope so anyway !!!

doesnt look like Dublin or indeed south meath is gonna get much, all the action is north of a line from Athlone to Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Oooh, getting dark again in Waterford :-)

What part of Waterford ? I'm in city still sunny

Edit I see darkness from a far ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gonzo wrote: »
    doesnt look like Dublin or indeed south meath is gonna get much, all the action is north of a line from Athlone to Drogheda.

Thank you Wicklow Mountains. The thoughts of negotiating the M50 with its keystone cops gritting service does not fill me with joy. Dry and cold is the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

jo06555 wrote: »
    What part of Waterford ? I'm in city still sunny

dunmore road

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Volatile here in the South Kerry mountains.. changing minute by minute... horizontal hail whiteout then some attempt at real snow and seeing it coming in over the western range is awesome.. hoping we will be spared thick snow...the wind is bitter now.. thankfully the dogs seem not to have heard that thunder... there it is again...gone almost totally dark now .. took photos but camera downstairs and no idea where the flex is.. must be some really heavy stuff coming on..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

http://sat24.com/en/gb?ir=true
    Sat 24 has an interesting afternoon ahead... Ah well.. there goes any work to be done!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Darkening skies in Waterford City with a temp of 3.8c and DP 1.2c. Check out here for the live webcam on my site

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxwebcam.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo, looking on Net weather Extra radar, Dunshaughlin "might" also be hit by that intensifying and enlarging area of precip moving from Westmeath and into Meath at present. There are also further developments further south from this area, in Offaly. Things may get rather interesting. It just has to hold itself together for about 80km!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

where are you?

Drumkeen, between Letterkenny and Stranorlar. Proper snow event, constant hail then snow for about and hour now...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Cavan Courthouse at 2:00pm today

B7PCatpCEAEKvAL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Thunder, lightening ,hail & snow in the last hour in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Very dark in waterford now let's hope it's the white stuff too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Snowing again in Cavan! Kettle is on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

North Meath about to get plastered as per last radar

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Snowing lightly in South east Kerry for the last 15 minutes,Started out as heavy hail which whited the ground.
    However sky's look to be brightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Drumkeen, between Letterkenny and Stranorlar. Proper snow event, constant hail then snow for about and hour now...
    The girlfriend is coming into letterkenny from drumkeen for college, are the roads ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

stop confirming its falling, post pictures!

poor dubliners only see sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

If I wasn't so strung out for snow, it's actually a gorgeous day in Dublin. Clear, bright skies and a crisp temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Could that blob over Mullingar make it to Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Rumbles as she past through..
    dhJUuRFYc76ru7OD_8mErsCmoEW0oSp9AFwWQX1P0w=w369-h207-p-no

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Something finally headed toward Dublin in the next hour or so. Much bigger more cohesive cluster of showers heading for the west coast. Interesting evening ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Something finally headed toward Dublin in the next hour or so. Much bigger more cohesive cluster of showers heading for the west coast. Interesting evening ahead.

Yes that one looks to have built up more over land, now to see if it holds together when coming towards the coast...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This photo of Donegal was posted on FB just now. I think this is just a wonderful scene.

334811.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The deep convection hasn't had time to cross the country yet really, on the latest satellite image (with my crude drawing on top) you can see it hasn't reached the east/south-east yet.
    Wgk8ErQ.png

Also winds are to change to slightly more Westerly rather than South-Westerly over the next few hours which should be a bit more favourable for Eastern locations too. Wouldn't give up hope just yet.

TiP3fs2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Phone App is showing Snow, it has shown snow before and nothing happened.

I'm not hopeful for much tonight.

Getting pounded with grapple and big flakes this morning, and it was showing fog. Now showing snow again.

Anyone recommend a more predictable one for windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Trogdor wrote: »
    The deep convection hasn't had time to cross the country yet really, on the latest satellite image (with my crude drawing on top) you can see it hasn't reached the east/south-east yet.
    Wgk8ErQ.png

Also winds are to change to slightly more Westerly rather than South-Westerly over the next few hours which should be a bit more favourable for Eastern locations too. Wouldn't give up hope just yet.

TiP3fs2.png

You can already see a more westward shift on the netweather 5 minute radar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement