Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

redsky7 wrote: »
    I am, no snow it's all either melted or been washed away but the roads were snowy til the top of the hill coming into bray roughly.

Traffic might be a bit crazy heading into Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

In my opinion the snowiest area of the country is the North-West, more precisely Northern Donegal and County Derry. They seem to get a decent snow fall every winter. Snow from the south-west, west, north-west, north and sometimes even the north-east (there is a decent fetch between Donegal and Scotland). The East coast probably gets the biggest/best events, but these are rare and occur once every 10 years (1982, 1987, 1991, 2001, 2010). If you want a decent snowfall (by this I mean 5-10cm or more) every year I would move to a place like Letterkenny or Derry, or possibly even inland Mayo/Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Just back from a lovely walk in the snow and the roads were freezing over an hour ago. West Cork

Graces 7 cats wont be able to walk in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Some average pics sligo n collooney

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

vizualpics wrote: »
    I hope this ends the debate about the east coast never getting any snow from the West!

not it wont, today's snow was still pathetic for most of us east of the midlands! few lucky spots got an inch or two. Most of the showers were over as soon as they started and melted within minutes.

In an easterly the snow trains can go on for an entire day with a decent 20-30cms by the end of one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

M50 busy both ways. Blizzard as we came home an hour ago from Foxrock to Sandyford. Really good covering of snow now and it's freezing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Recent snow in Greystones north Wicklow.

Didn't stick. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Gonzo wrote: »
    not it wont, today's snow was still pathetic for most of us east of the midlands! few lucky spots got an inch or two. Most of the showers were over as soon as they started and melted within minutes.

In an easterly the snow trains can go on for an entire day with a decent 20-30cms by the end of one day.

Ah look, we are grateful for any snow that we get at all in this country, I wouldn't begrudge it, if there is a bit of proper snowfall on the Dublin Mountains then I'm happy. Ideally we'd have blizzards lasting all day, but at the end of the day, it is Ireland where we hardly get snow at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭hadepsx

BTW if you're driving please give room to the car in front of you. I've had countless cars up my arSe in this snow. How stupid are you. Get home safe, not just on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

ThunderSnow Donegal. Flashes reflecting off the snow is something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is there anything different to thundersnow and normal thunder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

ThunderSnow Donegal. Flashes reflecting off the snow is something else

Ah now I normally love Wexford but FFS :( even sum sleet will do at this stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pangea wrote: »
    Is there anything different to thundersnow and normal thunder?

Nothing really Pangea, same processes involved. Strong convection from a relatively warm surface (in winter, usually from the sea and often aided by encountering 'lift' on approach to higher ground) leading to heavy showers or thunderstorms. This is one of the reasons why today's showers tended to trickle away as they moved further inland, they just had no surface warmth to sustain them. And what did survive were aided by a strong upper level wind.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A half decent band of snow leaving Galway, will reach the midlands and may go further

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Can report more of the white gold in Newbridge for the last 30 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

patneve2 wrote: »
    In my opinion the snowiest area of the country is the North-West, more precisely Northern Donegal and County Derry. They seem to get a decent snow fall every winter. Snow from the south-west, west, north-west, north and sometimes even the north-east (there is a decent fetch between Donegal and Scotland). The East coast probably gets the biggest/best events, but these are rare and occur once every 10 years (1982, 1987, 1991, 2001, 2010). If you want a decent snowfall (by this I mean 5-10cm or more) every year I would move to a place like Letterkenny or Derry, or possibly even inland Mayo/Sligo.

I think lots of people forget the terrible snow that was in East Ulster around two years ago, It was amazing how different one side of the Country could be. Thousands of livestock perished.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Too much of a Westerly flow for Waterford City chances today as showers more or less died when they hit the Comeraghs. We may see a few flakes later but nothing significant

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Can report more of the white gold in Newbridge for the last 30 minutes

"White gold" the next snow tread should be called that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I am just going outside (to cycle home from work) and may be some time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Easterly's are definitely becoming more of a rarity, I remember as a kid growing up in the 80s we seemed to get one almost every winter, sometimes 2 or 3 times in one winter. They weren't always huge events like the famous years listed but they were enough to shut the school down for a day or 2, sometimes a week.

Cold/mild battles from the Atlantic also seemed a bit more regular back then with heavy snow at first turning to rain later.

Now we find huge gaps between one easterly and the next. We got lucky in 2008,2009 and 2010 but since then nothing. Not all easterly's are major snow events, some can be just dry and frosty and of course the IOM plays a major factor into areas getting very little if any snow to an area 10 miles away with snow up to your knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

One on the way in FI....Tuesday next week worth watchin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

Nice display of the 'ol boob cloud in Carlow earlier:

20150113_161511.jpg

Which soon after lead to blizzard conditions for a while. Arriving home from work a small covering in the garden:

20150113_181228.jpg

Hope temps rise overnight, don't fancy tackling those icy roads in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Finally some snow - had to go out with the kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Another big fall in Sligo 2-3 hours ago, dumping an inch or so in about 10-15 minutes. Another dusting in the last hour or so as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

From Mount Merrion circa 5pm.... Probably as much there than up here in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Amazing difference driving from Dublin city to South Dublin. Nice snow cover around Dublin 18. 0 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Frostybrew

And so begins a night of lamppost watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looks like a band of heavy showers just hitting the west Mayo coast now.

74DSt3.png

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Frostybrew wrote: »
    And so begins a night of lamppost watching.

I will be intermittently watching lampposts too but only when the radar suggests I should :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Didn't realise it had been snowing the last while - curtains closed - just went out with the dogs and it's a winter wonderland nice blanket of powdery snow now in South Sligo - starry skies - lovely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement