Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

For anyone interested, sleet and snow should proceed tomorrows impending snow. Then about 2 days of milder weather before a 2nd colder blast for a few days. All charts seem to agree on it and looks good for north, western and eastern countries given the intensities of the possible precipitation coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Between 4 and 5 inches here now, heavy shower right now, is this to continue until the storm arrives tomorrow?

Couple of inches here too. Looking at the BBC Radar, theres a big blob of white over Sligo around midnight, and a smaller one again at 6am. Then heavy rain tomorrow evening, with another huge white blob over it at midnight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

For anyone interested, sleet and snow should proceed tomorrows impending snow. Then about 2 days of milder weather before a 2nd colder blast for a few days. All charts seem to agree on it and looks good for north, western and eastern countries given the intensities of the possible precipitation coming.

Thank you, that has cheered me cherryghost, not a flake have i seen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A lot of activity now in the southwest. Chance to make it good way across the country. Winds slightly southwesterly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

A lot of damage done at home today in Castlebar from the first bit of lightening around 11.30am, left holes in the ground right across the property, blew a steel garage door out, blew a hole in a block wall and nearly blew the outside boiler off the ground, amongst other damage. I'll post up pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

A lot of damage done at home today in Castlebar from the first bit of lightening around 11.30am, left holes in the ground right across the property, blew a steel garage door out, blew a hole in a block wall and nearly blew the outside boiler off the ground, amongst other damage. I'll post up pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see them.

Please do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Bbc1 Northern Ireland weather said the hills in Donegal/Derry currently have more snow than the french alps. In excess of 30cm. How accurate that is I do not know. Almost 6 inches with me 40m asl Donegal. Way more than I expected or was forecast. With snow showers to continue for the rest of tonight and heavy rain tomorrow evening, flooding may become a concern. Plus with the storm tomorrow night, trees can fell more easily in heavy saturated ground. All in all interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Light snow Knocknacarra Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A lot of activity now in the southwest. Chance to make it good way across the country. Winds slightly southwesterly again.

Possibly due to a minor trough that seems to be developing around 50-70 km off the coast, though I may be misreading the IR satellite sequence.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

they'll die out by early tomorrow morning in most places.

Thanks, a melt will be very messy, I assume it'll melt tomorrow.

And poo the batteries seem to have gone in my weather station, great timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

cobh got dusting very light but it stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

More snow showers pushing in over Galway city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

tashiusclay, you wouldn't be located in the moneen area would ya, I heard several reports of that kind of damage done today. I saw the flashes around 11am, very bright and instant thunder, not even a second delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Good man kermit could you sort us out down here again after the storm tomorrow.....with more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Holy sh1t!!! And there's me giving out Notting exciting happing here in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paidi_ed

snowing again here just outside ballincollig in Cork for the last 20 mins, quite blizzardy at times with the wind the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks, a melt will be very messy, I assume it'll melt tomorrow.

And poo the batteries seem to have gone in my weather station, great timing.

well, given your height above sea level, you could expect blizzard conditions tomorrow for a time before the milder air kicks in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I had 4 inches this morning at my property which is at over 300metres. With the way its snowing here here that should be doubled I'd say. SE Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

DarkJager wrote: »
    Bucketing down in Limerick now and sticking at last. Thank you Snowy Christ for the perfect excuse to work from home tomorrow :D

Wooo! I'd stopped looking outside after I put the little guy to bed but this post made me look out the window and everything is white. Fingers crossed it hangs about til morning. My son was so excited by the snow I showed him on the cars before bed, seeing snow everywhere will just blow his 2 year old mind. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Still mad snowing on northside of cork city :-) better than I ever expected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

As is customary, pics or GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice piece on the 9 o clock news there of the Sligo based rescue chopper(R118) bringing out supplies to a cut off Tory island today.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Looks like we're going to miss out in Waterford, possible chance of the odd flurry. Great to see parts of the country getting some white gold. Cars, grass and roofs already turning white here in Waterford since 8pm, anyone out and about stay safe, it's going to be a slippy one especially for those who are getting or have got snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

well, given your height above sea level, you could expect blizzard conditions tomorrow for a time before the milder air kicks in.

Eek:eek: well that should be interesting:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Snowing away here in NW Cork. Massive clap of thunder just knocked out the internet. At least it wasn't the power...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Snowing the ****e out of itself out there now! South Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Stinicker wrote: »
    I had 4 inches this morning
    Was she disappointed? :P

Sorry couldn't resist!

Plenty of showers pushing in but not making it as far East as earlier
    16088444337_cacb6ec984_b.jpgScreen Shot 2015-01-13 at 21.26.04

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

As is customary, pics or GTFO

I saw a bloke on the dundrum/sandyford exit slip southbound out of his car, writing something in the snow and couldn't for the life of me think what he was up to!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

tashiusclay, you wouldn't be located in the moneen area would ya, I heard several reports of that kind of damage done today. I saw the flashes around 11am, very bright and instant thunder, not even a second delay.

Living in town but the damage was done out at the old home place out the Pontoon Rd. I've never seen anything like it, the damage seemed to travel right across the property from perimeter to perimeter, and travelled onwards slightly to the house across the road and did lighter damage over there, blew phone sockets off the walls and blew a few lights. Was there much damage like that in Moneen did you hear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Snow gently falling again.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement