Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Villain wrote: »
    I demand an independent investigation into what caused the Snow Cork shield to fail :p
    They spend all the budget on a new & improved weather shield for Dublin which i can say has worked too well :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I would well believe it. Been pummelling down up there all day !
    Harps wrote: »
    According to someone on my Facebook feed there's about 30cm in the hills in Donegal and that was 4 hours ago. No pic for proof but considering the NW has been under moderate to heavy precip all day I wouldn't say it's far off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There seems to be a particularly nasty cell popping up just off the north Kerry coast and heading ENE on the latest radar.

Met Eireann weather radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just landed in Dublin airport and about to try to get home to Cork. Bad idea? Want me snow fix though....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So so so disappointing here in Dublin, haven't seen a snowflake all day. :(:(
    Nothing happening at all.

this was kinda expected tho, Met Eireann largely gave a dry forecast for Leinster yesterday. Atlantic cold snaps are as good as useless for the majority of people in eastern coastal counties.

It's like the reverse of an easterly where living on the tip end of county Clare is not gonna benefit much from Irish Sea streamers. We are waiting in hope that this current spell with shift to an easterly early next week to finally give us some proper snow that's 4 years overdue!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Started snowing here in South Dublin about 4pm and rapidly covered the ground. Had to go into town and below Stillorgan - nothing but slush.

Got back about 8pm, chronic traffic. Snow lying from roughly Leopardstown upwards, also on the M50.

A good 3cm here, everywhere white, untreated roads glassy, temp 0c and icicles hanging of various things like bins and gutters.

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tactical wrote: »
    Met Eireann weather radar?

Yep, seems to be weakening again, but also expanding. Could trigger some more lightning as it hits land.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hey dubs ye have the jobs but we have the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

All quiet here in Dublin, as has been the case for most of the day. The only "action" we got around Ballymount was a brief snow shower around 15:40. No sooner had it started, it ended, and quickly brightened up. Whatever fell did stick. Apart from that, it was just a pretty normal day. Of course, other areas in Dublin did get affected too. I don't expect anything noteworthy tonight or tomorrow here, but I could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

What part of Dublin? Quite a lot on the south side, haven't been up the north side today.

Was in City Centre till 5pm and then Swords :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree, I didn't expect this much lying snow in Dublin 18, easily about an inch of snow. Hardly snowmegeddon but wasn't really expecting any. You could see driving up m50 that the proper snow kicked in as you got to Sandyford
    Started snowing here in South Dublin about 4pm and rapidly covered the ground. Had to go into town and below Stillorgan - nothing but slush.

Got back about 8pm, chronic traffic. Snow lying from roughly Leopardstown upwards, also on the M50.

A good 3cm here, everywhere white, untreated roads glassy, temp 0c and icicles hanging of various things like bins and gutters.

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Heavy snow shower Galway City 5 minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Gonzo wrote: »
    this was kinda expected tho, Met Eireann largely gave a dry forecast for Leinster yesterday. Atlantic cold snaps are as good as useless for the majority of people in eastern coastal counties.

It's like the reverse of an easterly where living on the tip end of county Clare is not gonna benefit much from Irish Sea streamers. We are waiting in hope that this current spell with shift to an easterly early next week to finally give us some proper snow that's 4 years overdue!

We had some good snow days in 2012 and 2013 in Dublin also...at least where I am in west Dublin.

Good to see Cork city getting a dusting....a ten year event being so south and generally mild...

If the wing switches easterly God help Dublin/Meath/Wicklow ...and that can bring serious snow that lasts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Stopped snowing for the moment but there's a good cover - Northside Cork City.

Road is becoming relatively impassable at this stage.

2d18y0n.jpg

308jsr6.jpg

b4hle8.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great shots Northgirl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Decent big flakes here now. Neighbours are out making a snowman! More on the way by the looks of things.

northgirl wrote: »
    Stopped snowing for the moment but there's a good cover - Northside Cork City.

Road is becoming relatively impassable at this stage.

2d18y0n.jpg

308jsr6.jpg

b4hle8.jpg

Impassable for Cork City...barely a centimeter!!! What a laugh!!!

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    If the wing switches easterly God help Dublin/Meath/Wicklow ...and that can bring serious snow that lasts...

If you look back at the archive charts, you'll see that most, if not all of the easterlies brought less snow over the last few years to the east that what this current westerly is bring to other areas right now. Big snowfalls - from any direction - are rare. 20 / 30 cm totals are infrequent, even in an easterly.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Naas got a really light dusting around 4 or 5. Nothing since and it is getting warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Fair bit of snow on the ground in Mullingar. Snowing as I type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Impassable for Cork City...barely a centimeter!!! What a laugh!!!

It's a hill, that's the lower part but behind gets very steep into much higher terrain so yes, many cars had to turn back..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Lots of snow earlier today in North Meath/Cavan border - still lots of white on the ground but SERIOUSLY freezing now - roads will be lethal tomorrow! Snow is SO GREAT, but not for those travelling - keep safe all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

In Douglas, nice bit after falling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tom_k

Snowing at the moment and quite a bit on the ground in South Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Mesmerising waves of snow blowing in off the sea into Salthill just now

Total white out here now :cool:

New Moon

If you look back at the archive charts, you'll see that most, if not all of the easterlies brought less snow over the last few years to the east that what this current westerly is bring to other areas right now. Big snowfalls - from any direction - are rare. 20 / 30 cm totals are infrequent, even in an easterly.

The Dublin/Wicklow mountains can get drifts of several meters...quite common. Suburbs can get up to 20/30 centimeters. 1982 saw 50 cm fall in Dublin. City centre alone and 30 cm in 2010. Lasts for several days or even a couple of weeks with an easterly...a day or 2 at most with westerly winds and that is the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

No snow here in Kilkenny sadly. I was wondering, where could I see a meteorological explanation using charts etc. of why the country had snow today and not the usual ****e due to an Atlantic victory?

I'm sure it's explained in one of the threads here but I couldn't find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Easterlies overall are probably the least snowy cold setup we get, far more often than not they're dry with light coastal flurries at best. In extreme cases obviously they can deliver plenty of snow but that's true of any flow. Give me a good Arctic northerly any day :)

• Advertisement

The Dublin/Wicklow mountains can get drifts of several meters...quite common. Suburbs can get up to 20/30 centimeters. 1982 saw 50 cm fall in Dublin. City centre alone and 30 cm in 2010. Lasts for several days or even a couple of weeks with an easterly...a day or 2 at most with westerly winds and that is the difference.

So can any mountain in Ireland, so I don't see your point. Harping back to 1982, 87 or 2010 does not change the fact that big snowfalls from the east are rare.

In fact, it only proves it more.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement