Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Total

Whiteout

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Near 3 inches now!

Galway

I know where you live :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Bucketing down in north cork again. Have winds gone westerly? are these showers to continue you through the night ?
    Yes in your area,but a rapid thaw by dawn,I'd imagine so get out there now

Lovely pics from the western and southern coasts tonight
    I see a lot of concern about road conditions in the morning but I'd imagine the strengthening southerlies by then will clear things rapidly in Munster and south connaught anyway

As an easterner,I'm tentatively looking at the FI output,it's rather exciting and not just for the East, the potential for snow trains etc is there but knowing our luck it's going to downgrade

Dry all day by the way in Arklow,a lovely day in fact, westerlies are usually dry here (distance over cold land does that) except awkwardly in summer :(

Historically here with the exception of the great Jan 82 blizzard, it's north easterlies that deliver most snow in winter off the sea but obviously they need to be sourced in Scandinavia not Manchester
    Those are rare,common in the 80s but after 91,there were none of merit for 18 years
    Then we get 3 spells in a row.
    Artic Northerlies are good too and more common but not usually memorable the further south you go
    Anyway Isn't everywhere different? No need to argue about it,just enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snow from a southwesterly in Cork??

Better believe it!!

I would imagine the roads will be ok down here in the morning as the thaw sets in before noon.

Then more fun and games aft thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm the only one outside lol not even a tire track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This band of snow has enough room for the end of the Clare peninsula doesn't it?

Capture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Steady snow falling for about an hour here in N.Cork .. If it continues through the night there will be a big accumulation by morning .. About 3inches now on the ground Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

6 inches in my front garden. Should have been a red snow warning for Donegal today as per met.ie criteria for such(Greater than 8cm below 250m)15cm here at 40m asl. I'm not complaining tho just saying ha. More snow still to come tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Steady snow falling for about an hour here in N.Cork .. If it continues through the night there will be a big accumulation by morning .. About 3inches now on the ground Id say.

That private forecast you had was very accurate!

I don't think anyone guessed this amount of snow was possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No snow here in Kilkenny sadly. I was wondering, where could I see a meteorological explanation using charts etc. of why the country had snow today and not the usual ****e due to an Atlantic victory?

I'm sure it's explained in one of the threads here but I couldn't find it

its an exceptionally cold airmass( Canadian arctic), it also probably helps that the sea temperatures are colder than normal in the north Atlantic, due to a series of low pressure systems dragging very cold air from the canadian arctic behind them into the Atlantic

That private forecast you had was very accurate!
    Yep it turned out to be very accurate here .. From the forecast at work 3am was to be significant too for the bones of an hour .. We'll know in the morning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

This has to be not far behind 2010 in regards to inches

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I don't think anyone guessed this amount of snow was possible.

There was a few forecasters in here had it predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just to note along with snow showers its actually quite windy in the south with a gust of 53 knots at Sherkin at 2300 along with Kinsale at 50 knots.

Met Éireann had 80mm as a guideline in the Western half of the country - seems like the vast majority of the country will see that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Snowing Galway City again.

Just to note along with snow showers its actually quite windy in the south with a gust of 53 knots at Sherkin at 2300 along with Kinsale at 50 knots.
    Amazing because it's almost still North of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Totally agree it's just a shame it's going to be washed away tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Dublin 24 it hasn't snowed since around 1900 and that was only a light sprinkle. Wind is picking up outside though, had to tie the bins down.

Is there much of a chance Dublin will be hit overnight with a nice blanket?

• Advertisement

Im rather disappointed most snow has melted here in clare.
    Anyway, better some than none!
    (The roof gutters are completely stuffed with snow.)

I had about 18" at peak Xmas week 2010 near Arklow co Wicklow and full snow cover on the ground for 30 days so No
    The 6 inches up near letterkenny is quite a major snow fall,I have a gut feeling, that area is going to see falls like that quite a few more times over the next month or two,I can kind of smell a broader colder picture developing
    I hope the weather nerd in me isn't disappointed which could easily be either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Is there more snow coming after the storm?

Not as intense for the 3 following days to the storm, but there may be a severe cold on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

The 6 inches here isn't close to what we had in 2010 but I'm happy with anything tbh

Yes in stages
    Slightly less cold,so coastal areas may just see rain unlike inland and high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not according to Met Eireann:
    Dry and clear spells this evening and tonight in the Dublin area but some scattered wintry showers about also, the showers becoming isolated overnight. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +1 Celsius with some frost and icy patches in places, especially sheltered areas. Winds will be moderate to fresh southwest.

After the cold start to tomorrow it's rain and rising temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Dublin 24 it hasn't snowed since around 1900 and that was only a light sprinkle. Wind is picking up outside though, had to tie the bins down.

At first glance I thought you sarcastically meant the year 1900 !

Snow to top of my ankle boots here in S Sligo about 4inches and considerably more than I expected. Cars having difficulties on the hilly rural roads nearby too - as it stands or sits ;) it's hard to believe this will be washed away tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have had light falls for the last hour or so in Sligo. Flakes have got a bit bigger in the last 10 minutes or so, and getting heavy again now. The BBC Radar has been preety much bang on today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

irishfeen wrote: »
    Met Éireann had 80mm as a guideline in the Western half of the country - seems like the vast majority of the country will see that tonight.

Take away the 0 and that's what's on the ground here, nearly all big showers this evening died out on the way except one.
    Still it's good to see so many got a decent fall of it even if it's only gonna last a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement