Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What I dont understand, is that there is so little percipation yet I have been covered by the "rainfall radar" for an hour already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What I dont understand, is that there is so little percipation yet I have been covered by the "rainfall radar" for an hour already!

Where? 1st rule of snow club: post your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The Atlantic is such a shower-machine, been producing thunderstorms, showers, larger bands of sleet and snow all day, amazing to see. Meanwhile that cold air has managed to filter all the way over here to Northern Denmark, currently thunder-sleet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Some great photos posted. Nice to see the west get snow. Not often -8 uppers make their way to Ireland. Easterly is you best bet for cold, but they can lack precip.

Thanks to all for their update. Reading through the posts shows how isolated the showers can be. No doubt Kermit.de.frog will get some flax for calling it wrong; regardless that a neighbouring county got 4cm

Anyone who didn't get snow, I expect you to 'call it' and end our winter misery :)

Humidity for my station averaged 92% today. Last time i can remember snow in Dublin4 2012/2013? It evaporated due to low humidity.

Be safe in the morning everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rougies wrote: »
    Where? 1st rule of snow club: post your location.

I posted 2 posts together. In the first I mentioned my location, -West Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Well over 100 boardsies on after 1 o'clock on a school night must mean we have SNOW!!!!! Dromahair is covered in the glorious white stuff, there must be about 2-3 inches out the back garden. It has been snowing gently for most of the evening but eased off a little for now. Judging by the raintoday.co.uk radar however there could be more about to be delivered. :)

Didn't hear any thunder or notice any lightning etc.. all day but I believe up in Donegal on the NW coast they had a terrific lightning and thunder session earlier this morning. The hail was pelting down and could be easily heard over the phone in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Curtains are open. I'm sitting up in my bed with a ciggy hanging out of my mouth as I type this and as I wait for the sky to turn a white orange again. which it seems to be doing again. I've just now taken that ciggy out of my mouth to give it a flick into an ashtray, as I did this, the snow outside is becoming heavier. All this I can see from my bed.
    Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I posted 2 posts together. In the first I mentioned my location, -West Clare.

So you did, apologies! The radar can be a bit misleading at times, it can be hard to judge exact locations of precip. on the ground especially in quick moving showers like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

A Nice heavy shower in Tullamore - adding to inch that stayed since 16.00, very happy snow lover

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ok almost the last chance for Dublin to get something. A trough line is crossing the country with a large precipitation field (relatively). It may make it, it may not. Whatever falls anywhere will settle no matter how little the amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Fine powdery snow blowing about now

patneve2 wrote: »
    The Atlantic is such a shower-machine, been producing thunderstorms, showers, larger bands of sleet and snow all day, amazing to see. Meanwhile that cold air has managed to filter all the way over here to Northern Denmark, currently thunder-sleet :pac:
    This is a funny one, they look very different from this weather forum's typical idea of streamers - being somewhat narrow (e.g. 20 km wide showers) in a continuous line to either side of the Isle of Man. I always found that part of the Irish Sea version of streamers hard to reconcile with convective showers that form over the Atlantic (which on a showery day in Ireland would look very similar on the radar to today's radar images). The entire west coast has enjoyed something of the showers and fair dues. It makes a change seeing more than pictures of Donegal when there's an Atlantic-sourced cold spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Great to see some posters of old back posting on boards again. Ye have been missed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

A good layer in Athlone. Not so secretly hoping the rain won't wash it away by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Oi5in

Heavy snow on ground here in North Cork. Outside Buttevant. Snowed non stop from 10pm till after midnight.and now the room just lit up with a flash out to the west. 3rd one in last 30 min. Magic stuff

How can you sleep when the snow is coming down so hard - still a heavy fall in offaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

More and more snow Donegal. Friend said he has a foot at his place up on high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Nearly finished drive from Dublin airport to Cork (pulled in). Snow starts in Kildare and is all the way to Cork. Started day in snow in the alps and ending that way in the PROC. Who'd have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Ok almost the last chance for Dublin to get something. A trough line is crossing the country with a large precipitation field (relatively). It may make it, it may not. Whatever falls anywhere will settle no matter how little the amount.

I think you're right about that Kermit, was heading to bed but think I'll stay up just in case (& watch it melt away above Kildare in about 30 mins)

Hope everyone on in the west is enjoying the snow! :)
    but keep in mind there's a storm to hit there tomorrow (info on the other thread) so tie down what you can safely in the AM & do look in on elderly neighbors/relatives

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Seems to be something bubbling up over dublin at the moment....anyone awake out Tallaght way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

They are false radar returns over Tallaght and other areas of south Dublin just outside of the M50....very common and more or less semi permanent. I think that it is caused by radar at Dublin Airport bouncing off the Dublin Mountains.

Very heavy, beautiful snow shower in Tullamor efor the last 20 mins. Little sign of stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just in the door after driving from Dublin. Snowing again now here in Cork south suburbs. Nothing amazing depth wise but a lovely winter wonderland nonetheless. Happy bunny. Oh and charts for next week suggest we might not be finished with snow yet this winter. Night night.

Some surprisingly beefy showers reaching into the midlands. I suspect anywhere within 10 km of Durrow in Co. Laois will wake up to a nice if modest covering of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Should be a few flakes in southwest Dublin around now. Should settle no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Had given up on seeing anything here in Carlow about 2 hours ago.

Played a few games of Fifa and looked outside and its a proper blizzard out there and doesn't look like stopping for a while yet.

I'd imagine there will be some sort of lying snow for almost everyone tomorrow. Maybe the extreme NE, E and SE might escape. Midlands looks like it took a pasting in the last few hours.

My drive off the hills might have to wait for a thaw in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Good covering of snow in Tipp town, still falling.

• Advertisement

Sligo and Donegal are gonna get hit hard.

019D6DBC5C2E427AAD003CF8BD7693B5-0000324468-0003716296-00887L-EE40113BB46A482DBAA196390ADEF0B3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement