Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Some surprisingly beefy showers reaching into the midlands. I suspect anywhere within 10 km of Durrow in Co. Laois will wake up to a nice if modest covering of snow.

Durrow got a nice covering after that prolonged shower. Still -0.3c here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperatures starting to rise now in the west. Thaw to begin before daylight in mid western and western counties and quickly extend north east. High cloud from the warm front of the "storm" approaching the south west.

Risk of snow in the south west later tomorrow. Snow showers return primarily to the north and west tomorrow night and continue through Friday and Saturday. I think there will be further accumulations at low levels in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Schools in the Midlands will probably be closed today as the snow cover should hold past the 9am opening hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The Atlantic has not disappointed, great covering here. All the tracks from making a snowman last night have been fully filled in.
    There is a horrible feeling of a thaw kicking in now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

i am liking the recent Met eireann forecast
    "While Sunday next will continue quite cold, winds will ease down steadily and showers will tend to die out. A hard frost will set in for a time on Sunday night but rain, preceded by sleet and snow, is likely to develop in the south and west of the country later. A mixture of rain, sleet and snow will then spread countrywide during Monday, and there may be a risk of significant accumulations of snow further east and north eventually. Generally cold conditions seem set to persist well into next week, with further threats of snowfall from time to time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just back from a lovely walk in the snow and the roads were freezing over an hour ago. West Cork

Graces 7 cats wont be able to walk in the morning.

I hear you! See my post later.. still catching up on last night as I close down around 3 pm!...

murdig wrote: »
    No snow in county Kerry well at least from where I am :(

Where are you? I am near Moll's Gap and we have snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

-2 in Cork right now with a couple of inches of lying snow

All from a southwesterly!!

Good morning everyone.. South Kerry Mountains reporting in! Heard heavy showers in the night and just now and there is a pretty sprinkling of snow outside the house and on the lane.. will try for photos when light comes. It is very still and no frost; towels on the line are limp and snow-encrusted. Not looking forward to the storm here but we will endure...Yesterday and today are for me traditional Irish rural days. Lit the range and after that used no gas or electricity. Cooked for me and the dogs and heated water on the range, and the day was spent knitting and tending to physical needs. I suspect I am cut off a the lane is lethal in ice but it matters not. I have all I need and everyone has problems in this weather.. Ashamed for Tory Island not being prepared. It is not exactly rocket science..Bitter cold here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Frustrating for me, it's been mostly hail showers here at my location in Donegal, while the place is completely white and most people will call it snow, I know it isn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Good cover of snow here. Must be a rapid thaw coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Certainly got at least the 8cm fall that Met E forecast here in North Offaly. Was nice for once watching the radar with banks of snow showers marching eastwards, and dying out as they hit Kildare Meath borders. It is usually the other way around with the east wind and I suspect will be next week for the next round. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Did someone say snow? This greeted me at my back door this morning, yup 16 inches at its highest. Nice wee accumulation at the door!

10930857_10205249478052301_8449013483814960708_n.jpg?oh=8e5907fb45af6bbfb484cabe8a74e783&oe=5538ADF5&__gda__=1428396622_de13b93ae3d2bfd80020038985405374

10896935_10205249473292182_7951744290722553188_n.jpg?oh=5e4b08cde63fc00e57d8f4bf49e6ad7a&oe=55257C46&__gda__=1429596607_2b92c1918f805d1da40d8cf620e9514c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

first report this morning from Ireland West reports 15 cm of snow.

SM 14/01/2015 06:00->
    AAXX 14061
    03973 11462 72104 11007 21010 39703 49961 51007 60032 70282 873//
    333 21021 3/102 43015 55001 84919 85624=

http://www.ogimet.com/synops.phtml.en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Drove from Waterford to Kilkenny just now. There were a few flakes stuck to the car at home when I was leaving, but nothing left on the ground. A different story in Kilkenny though - from around Danesfort (J9 M9) heading north it was all white. The main roads were good, but side roads were extremely treacherous - I was taking it extremely easy but even then, I had a number of low-speed skids.

Edit: I'd say about 2-3 cm lying here in KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

whoo hoo 2-3cm os now on ground in Athlone. Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Danno wrote: »
    Schools in the Midlands will probably be closed today as the snow cover should hold past the 9am opening hour.

Why on earth would schools close for a few cms of snow? Here in poland we quite regularly have 30 or more cms snow, last week -20 and business as usual for everything. Schools in my village do have the right to close if its below -20 and extreme health and safety conditions dictate, but its very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

snaps wrote: »
    Why on earth would schools close for a few cms of snow?

LOL, we're just not accustomed to it and everybody sort of freaks out - a bit like when it rains in LA and all the freeways get jammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

Light blanket of snow in North Wicklow, leaving for work in 10 minuites, hopefully I don't meet the usual nut jobs overtaking on icy roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

1 inch lying in Tullamore. Off to the train station

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    Why on earth would schools close for a few cms of snow? Here in poland we quite regularly have 30 or more cms snow, last week -20 and business as usual for everything. Schools in my village do have the right to close if its below -20 and extreme health and safety conditions dictate, but its very rare.

We also have a severe gale coming in. Last February they did not close the schools and kids got trapped and stranded when the gale hit and trees were coming down and vehicles getting blown over. I would not blame parents for keeping kids home today. And as others have aid we get snow so rarely and are not equipped to deal with it as you are. So please! Oh and never move to Ireland! You would go crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

signostic wrote: »
    first report this morning from Ireland West reports 15 cm of snow.

SM 14/01/2015 06:00->
    AAXX 14061
    03973 11462 72104 11007 21010 39703 49961 51007 60032 70282 873//
    333 21021 3/102 43015 55001 84919 85624=

http://www.ogimet.com/synops.phtml.en

Is that knock ?

MissMoc wrote: »
    How can you sleep when the snow is coming down so hard - still a heavy fall in offaly

Easy.. close the curtains, turn the light off and snuggle down. It will after all still be there in the morning..:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Considering the win direction, a pretty good snow event for the vast majority with some doing really well!! Surprised in south dublin to get a good covering and there it is again this morning. Didn't expect Dublin to get lying snow out of it. Bring on later this week and next week forecast from met eireann looks great!!

Considering the win direction, a pretty good snow event for the vast majority with some doing really well!! Surprised in south dublin to get a good covering and there it is again this morning. Didn't expect Dublin to get lying snow out of it. Bring on later this week and next week forecast from met eireann looks great!!

I would have quite liked to make a snowman but with raynauds i tis a dodgy endeavour...last one i made was on the island and I made it too near the window and kept freaking out thinking there was an intruder.. Hoping against your hope for next week but we will take and cope with whatever comes.. jut another old fashioned day up here; the cell phone is on charge and if I walk some way from the house it will work... if the power goes digiweb and blueface will go too

Off for a walk with Husky for his 1st xp in snow. Why waste the moment :)

Sounds wonderful...thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Pangea wrote: »
    Is that knock ?

Yes IWAK
    Knock Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

Really heavy snow showers here from that band in NI. When can we expect a change to rain as warm air moves in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Nice bit of THUNDERSNOW here in Donegal Town right now. 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No fresh snow here in D18 this morning, but as I guessed what fell yesterday combined with freezing temperatures has resulted in lots of fun this morning as people can't get their cars up the hill out of the estate.

Good thing I can work from home :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement