Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No buses turned up because of that???

That's bad even for this backward country...

The level of snow isn't the problem. There's black ice around the county as it froze on top of the snow. Buses can't get up some hills and around certain routes. Quite a few accidents this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ended up about 4inches in North Cork.. Secondary roads in a very bad way into Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The warm front has appeared on the Kerry coast, it will advance during the day and there should be no snow left anywhere by about 4 or 5pm

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! There hass been damn all snow in carlow!!!! Next week better bring a blizard

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The reactions are priceless. Did'nt know what to make of it.

Hens are even funnier.... their legs vanish and the expression on their faces when they look down is something else

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

is that the Galtees?

It's the Galtees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

racso1975 wrote: »
    BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! There hass been damn all snow in carlow!!!! Next week better bring a blizard

Looks like it might well, even to Carlow!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just got outdoor done and photos taken before the rain really started...bitter cold wind out there. This seventy-plus year old is settling in for a sleep if possible before the ordeal by gale starts. while I tend to be a tough old bird I don't bounce quite as easily as I used to... good luck all and please take care and I don't blame the buses at all. Too many risks taken by far because road and weather conditions are not respected. Life is precious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Loads of snow in sligo

2 or 3 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ended up about 4inches in North Cork.. Secondary roads in a very bad way into Mallow.

thaw just beginning to set in now but very slippery in places. cork mallow road supposed to be crawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What's next week looking like?
    In dublin especially?

Dublin are not getting snow this year 😂

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

In this part of Dublin temp -0.3c, was down to -1.5c overnight; snow cover intact, untreated roads icy - sun shining, sky blue.

Lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

UCC area covered in snow .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh and never move to Ireland! You would go crazy!

Im an ex pat from Mayo! I actually miss Ireland dearly. I live in the mountains in Southern Poland, Our land rises to 1120m in the Beskid mountain range. Highest mountain on our range is Babia Gora at 1753m. Tatra mountains to out south bordering Slovakia rising to nearly 3000m.

Its just amazing how the reactions by authorities and media in Uk/Ireland are for winter weather compared to Europe.

They don't salt roads here, just throw coarse grit down on the inclines and corners, which work and interact perfectly with winter tyres that we all have fitted to our cars.

I was watching Sky news earlier and its laughable and embarrassing how much trouble a few centimetres of snow can cause!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057091286

Some pictures from where I live in the pictures thread (Last year a very mild winter)

This winter we already have had low temps of -22c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

snaps wrote: »
    Im an ex pat from Mayo! I actually miss Ireland dearly. I live in the mountains in Southern Poland, Our land rises to 1120m in the Beskid mountain range. Highest mountain on our range is Babia Gora at 1753m. Tatra mountains to out south bordering Slovakia rising to nearly 3000m.

Its just amazing how the reactions by authorities and media in Uk/Ireland are for winter weather compared to Europe.

They don't salt roads here, just throw coarse grit down on the inclines and corners, which work and interact perfectly with winter tyres that we all have fitted to our cars.

I was watching Sky news earlier and its laughable and embarrassing how much trouble a few centimetres of snow can cause!

yes well irish cars or the vast majority thereof have no winter tyres which is what causes the problems together with inexperience of driving in such conditions. poland has snow every winter and has to be prepared accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

1489E1A8CE9B40948BD7CC4222A8D13F-0000359205-0003716357-00640L-D3908245D80443C9B3D29E0C12626D9A.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

yes well irish cars or the vast majority thereof have no winter tyres which is what causes the problems together with inexperience of driving in such conditions. poland has snow every winter and has to be prepared accordingly.

My poor Irish car that i brought with me here, goes into meltdown with temps below -15. Doesnt have a diesel preheater and it seems to freeze up with the slightest excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just started raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

ch750536 wrote: »
    Just started raining.

Nearly time to head over to the storm tread for later on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

tumblr_ni5wapLRcs1qa16vbo1_1280.jpg

There is currently an incredible amount of snow outside right now. Thaw is well underway, lots of snow sliding off the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭circadian

My brother just me a pic of his garden in Derry, at least 6 inches if not closer to 8 of snow there.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    My brother just me a pic of his garden in Derry, at least 6 inches if not closer to 8 of snow there.

yeeeahhh gonna need those numbersss....

pics or GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just started raining.

go away :P

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Anddddd it's started snowing again. Big fluffy flakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Temps rising slowly here in Slane. Was -1 earlier and now is just getting over 0.
    The ice on the driveway is crazy slippy though and the backroads here are the same. Winter tyres make little difference on the ice for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭circadian

rusty cole wrote: »
    yeeeahhh gonna need those numbersss....

pics or GTFO!

He won't go out with a ruler :/

He lives on the north facing side of an exposed mountain so I'd imagine there was some hefty snowfall there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Couple of videos I took this morning in Athlone

Snow in the back garden

Dogs enjoying the snow in the back garden

An Irish Snow Plough in action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just started raining.

Not sure how but I now have snow falling on an easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Some of the back roads in Carlow are deadly this morning.

I live on the hills under Mt Leinster and even though we had plenty of snow, there's virtually none on the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

11 months old hasn't a clue why everywhere looks white lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Raining heavily for the past hour in west Kerry and wind picking up. The small amount of snow has disappeared at lower levels at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement