Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

a cold front!!!!!!!! woot!!! stay away mild front. not welcome in winter time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A dusting of snow here on the car in north Kilkenny, over 200m altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Tis right strange weather we're having

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Oh well hello there Mr Trough! :D
    gfs-0-66_icn0.png

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭snowinwinter

Ok I think I am going to give up on the snow front tonight. Another let down and disappointment.

The showers are getting lighter and temp has risen to 2.5c.. Not even going to bother waiting for Tuesday to get excited because it will be the same old sleety nonsense.

It nearly always seems like the snowline and the fun is at 200m. Don't know why but literally everytime I drive up a hill or mountain thats where the snow starts. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

gingergirl wrote: »
    Tis right strange weather we're having

It sure is ..................last night it was 15 degrees on my car screen , and tonight its 2 degrees , but feels like about minus 5

It sure is ..................last night it was 15 degrees on my car screen , and tonight its 2 degrees , but feels like about minus 5

Yep, I was looking at my base station last night and the temp was about 14c at 1am and then like 4 hours later 2c..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very interesting feature there Ian, could bring widespread snow.

Tuesday is a very interesting day for youse in Ireland especially.

And that feature winds up dramatically over Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

A westerly just doesn't bring proper snow. 850 hPa temperatures and 500-1000 thicknesses do not guarantee snow. Met Eireann were 100% correct with their "conservative" forecast. Next time maybe people will listen.

21Z

334425.PNG

I am beginning to think you are right you know about westerlies, usually almost any airmass would bring lying snow with -8c uppers but we are struggling tonight really badly. I guess the main factor is the wet bulb line.

I've noticed it can rain to the bitter end in these air masses, even right down to 1.0c. I did expect to see more snow though based on the met office warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

nice bit of sleet in athlone - tis wonderful to see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ive looked out my window and can report there is big flakes of wet snow falling here in north meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

@FWVT So are you saying Monday night/Tuesday will be another non event in your opinion? From the West again but I believe it always meant to be more likely than today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

FWVT wrote: »
    A westerly just doesn't bring proper snow. 850 hPa temperatures and 500-1000 thicknesses do not guarantee snow. Met Eireann were 100% correct with their "conservative" forecast. Next time maybe people will listen.

21Z

334425.PNG

What are you going on about? They didn't even mention sleet or snow in their national forecast and it quite evidently snowed and sleeted in a good few places.

I don't understand why you keep flogging this?

@FWVT So are you saying Monday night/Tuesday will be another non event in your opinion? From the West again but I believe it always meant to be more likely than today

Well to be honest Tuesday looks really cold with a wet bulb freezing level and a freezing level of 300m so that would certainly deliver snow but after todays unexpected failure I am not holding out any hope.

It seems to be nigh on impossible to get a covering of snow lately.

What are you going on about? They didn't even mention sleet or snow in their national forecast and it quite evidently snowed and sleeted in a good few places.

I don't understand why you keep flogging this?

Yes but it didn't deliver what -8/9c uppers would normally do i.e. a couple of cm's of snow at least.

It just wet snowed for a few hours and then its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

21Z

334425.PNG

I disagree regarding the Westerly comment. Granted they are usually useless but page 120 of the snow lovers appreciation thread Oneiric 3 supplied this picture of snow from a Westerly last February.

6V7s4i.png

And yet only 4 of the 31 official stations and regional airports on the island received snow, and all were above 150 m.

No photos here of snow at low levels, as would normally happen. Nothing.

Sleet doesn't deserve a thread, I'm afraid.

Hands up those who are happy about today's snow?

Blue light pub near stepaside reporting on Facebook that it is starting to snow up there

I disagree regarding the Westerly comment. Granted they are usually useless but page 120 of the snow lovers appreciation thread Oneiric 3 supplied this picture of snow from a Westerly last February.

Yup provided snow here too.

• Advertisement

And yet only 4 of the 31 official stations and regional airports on the island received snow, and all were above 150 m.

No photos here of snow at low levels, as would normally happen. Nothing.

Well why would anyone take a picture of snow falling? We get about 20days a year so its no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

A layer of snow in carryduff and still snowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Lumi wrote: »
    owenc is permanently banned from the weather forum so it's neither fair nor appropriate to discuss him seeing as he can't respond

If you suspect a rereg then report it - please don't speculate on-thread

Thanks guys

owenc and snowinwinter now site banned - permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

18z teeing up something more significant for Tuesday. Lovely snow chart for south and east. Note secondary low crossing the south.

Rtavn661.gif

Rtavn664.gif

Rtavn662.gif

Lovely. Development begins at just 48 hrs so can't be taken lightly. But is it a pub run special sadly to disappear in 6 hours time? Note how it is exactly the right depth not to introduce onshore southerly or easterly winds, just what we want.

EDIT: Sorry yeh all posted already - got giddy with excitement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sigh...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The hot headness in here is keeping temps high :)

There will be a slightly more southwesterly component to the flow than there was today, but the airmass off Greenland and Canada will be colder, so it remains to be seen how much modification will occur in the lowest levels. ECMWF has 850 hPa temperatures around the same as today, but around 150 m lower down (~1280 m vs ~1430 m). Convection should be stronger, so on paper it looks a better prospect. Still strong winds so not much cooling in the hours of darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think you need to grow up a little bit to be perfectly honest.

At no stage did anyone say that any sort of event was going to occur. This thread is also split in to two - one for yesterday, one for midweek but such nuances are conveniently swept aside in favor of attacking other posters, saying things that were never said and taking things out of context (on purpose).

You would also think we were not dealing with a set of highly volatile dynamic variables and rather something written on a tablet set in stone. Really...

Can we move on now?

Monday evening onward should be the focus now and there is a lot to focus on.

I think you need to grow up a little bit to be perfectly honest.

At no stage did anyone say that any sort of event was going to occur. This thread is also split in to two - one for yesterday, one for midweek but such nuances are conveniently swept aside in favor of attacking other posters, saying things that were never said and taking things out of context (on purpose).

Can we move on now?

Monday evening onward should be the focus now and there is a lot to focus on.

Well, firstly the title "Snow showers from early Saturday to Sunday", then all of these statements, would tend to get people's hopes up. It didn't meet these expectations, so we'll leave it at that and I'll go and now grow up.
    Folks,

Snow showers becoming heavy and frequent in the northwest and north early Saturday morning should extend to many other places (but not all) during daylight hours with the potential for significant falls in the northwest particularly later Saturday evening. The far southeast could stay dry.
    I wouldn't be as pessimistic as Iancar29 regarding snowfall at low levels on Saturday nor how widespread precipitation may be given most of the variables are on the right side of favourable but I agree with Redsunset to a certain extent that the bigger "prize" potentially is from Monday night. Lots of interesting outcomes available for the following few days. It's not a question of whether we will get snow but rather how much and in what form because there is a hint around midweek that a secondary low from the southwest might interact with this air mass bringing potentially a longer period of sleet and snow to some places for a while. But it's too early for specifics.

12z's out soon. We can start going in to more detail at this stage for the weekend anyway.

But I know some get frustrated with the language we have to use here at times and how it can seem unclear, indecisive and confusing.

It will turn much colder this weekend with snow showers on Saturday and Saturday night. Most of these in the northwest and down along the west coast so places like Derry, Sligo, Galway, Limerick etc have a real chance of snow but some getting through to other areas as well. Temperatures during Saturday in low single figures. Slightly milder for Sunday and part of Monday before potentially even colder weather returns again bringing more snow showers and low temperatures.
    There is little or no difference tomorrow north or south. All the variables are met for showers to be of snow well in to the early hours of Sunday morning. Don't worry ;)
    As long as you are away from an immediate windward coast in the west your chances of seeing snow (even in Cork :p ) are quite high. Obviously showers by their nature are hit and miss but even allowing for this they should be plentiful and heavy and dragged to most places on a pretty strong wind. I think most will at least see snowfall tomorrow. As to whether it settles the northwest is the best hope there. But later tomorrow night there should be settling snow elsewhere as well.

Gone by daylight Sunday - next Tuesday and Wednesday looking ever more interesting though.
    As Pistolpete says this is not an "event" and should not be treated as such. Any disruption should be limited to the north west.

From around 9 am on wards away from direct windward coasts that is when the cold air digs in and the showers turn to snow although they will be snow at higher levels before that and that is where the bulk of any accumulation of snow will be.

Through the day the showers will keep coming though the far southeast could stay dry throughout. Favored locations for any significant falls are the north west and just inland of the west coast in Connaught. Showers further east always more scattered and not as heavy.

Progressively colder through the day. To give some idea of the pace of the fall later on it's progged to be around 12c in the east circa 4am and down to 4 or 5c a couple of hours later. It's a fast steep transition. Temperatures gradually rising from the west during the early hours of Sunday morning with showers dieing out and the snow level rising again.
    The air mass is not quite as cold as was progged up to yesterday evening (the south and southwest barely touching -5c 850hPa temps) but none the less you can see already how today pans out with frequent showers in the northwest and close to Atlantic coasts, more isolated further inland. For Connaught (away from immediate windward coasts), Ulster and North Leinster it looks like a fun day. The southwest, even inland, is much more marginal now for snow at low levels.

Temp 3.9, DP 0.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm a weather watcher not at all practiced in the science of it, like most of you people but the weather seems extremely odd to me at the moment.

Last night I stood outside in the raging wind in a teeshirt - it was an unsettling thing it was a warm wind at night in January - today hat, coat, scarf and gloves and I was certain of snow flurries...is that the problem - temps raising too quickly when there is precipitation and no preciptation when the temps drop.

I was certain we were in for snow this year after such a long autumn but perhaps it's going to be one of those freezing March's - it's like we are months behind this year!

Edit to add: I live in a hilly northwest area so we often see the white stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement