Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've procured a dog...

• 08-01-2015 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

I think she's a jack Russell puppy.

I have a pug who's 9 months old. They are play fighting a lot, biting each others necks and jumping on each other.

Is this OK? Are they hurting each other? Sometimes they might growl a bit, but not loud or anything. Never had two dogs so I'm really not sure what's ok.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Sounds like they're getting on great :D
    As long as the playing seems pretty evenly matched, given their ages, I'd be confident they're just having a ball together! They'll figure it out amongst themselves when it gets too much.

Pics?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Thanks for that! Terrified one will get hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Procured lol :pac:

Just keep an eye on them while they learn each other's limits but the older dog will be doing you a huge favor teaching the pup bite inhibition and manners!

tk123 wrote: »
    Procured lol :pac:

Just keep an eye on them while they learn each other's limits but the older dog will be doing you a huge favor teaching the pup bite inhibition and manners!

Technically I stole it so I think procured sounds better!!

I don't know which one is older but I think it's my pug. I'll bring her to the vet next week and see what she says.

Pity they're not like trees or ladybirds and I could just count their dots or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Technically I stole it so I think procured sounds better!!

I don't know which one is older but I think it's my pug. I'll bring her to the vet next week and see what she says.

Pity they're not like trees or ladybirds and I could just count their dots or something.

How did you steal a dog?

• Advertisement

Luke92 wrote: »
    How did you steal a dog?

Ah I didn't really steal her. She was in Aldi, soaking wet, matted, filthy. They said she comes in a lot for warmth and shelter. The owner got her for Christmas and doesn't give a f*ck about her. I asked if I could take her home and I'll leave my number for them to contact me.

They said yeah,she'll be hit by a car or freeze to death otherwise. So I have her all clean, fed and dry and don't want to give her back :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That behaviour is perfectly normal, just keep an eye so that it doesn't get too feisty and one of them gets hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Ah I didn't really steal her. She was in Aldi, soaking wet, matted, filthy. They said she comes in a lot for warmth and shelter. The owner got her for Christmas and doesn't give a f*ck about her. I asked if I could take her home and I'll leave my number for them to contact me.

They said yeah,she'll be hit by a car or freeze to death otherwise. So I have her all clean, fed and dry and don't want to give her back :o

You didn't steal or anything like it! You rescued that dog. Fair play!

Luke92 wrote: »
    You didn't steal or anything like it! You rescued that dog. Fair play!

Apparently the owners are very unfriendly and rough, so I don't think they'll see it that way. Afraid to walk her in case they see me and go mad.

She's so quiet and gentle. I was worried she'd be a bit aggressive but she's the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I 'procured' a dog in similar circumstances, and had him for 17 years - the most gentle and loyal soul ever. Fair dues to you. <snip>

As to the fighting and biting - sounds like good puppy fun - as others said, keep an eye on them to make sure no-one is getting too rough. Dogs will snap at each other when things are getting out of hand or they dont like what the other dog is doing. They will settle in and become friends, and have their play-fights and collapse with exhaustion and have a snooze, and it will all start all over again. Im sure they are delighted with their new playmate - they are of a size too, which is lovely

VERY BEST of luck to you and your lovely dogs

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    I 'procured' a dog in similar circumstances, and had him for 17 years - the most gentle and loyal soul ever. Fair dues to you. <snip>

As to the fighting and biting - sounds like good puppy fun - as others said, keep an eye on them to make sure no-one is getting too rough. Dogs will snap at each other when things are getting out of hand or they dont like what the other dog is doing. They will settle in and become friends, and have their play-fights and collapse with exhaustion and have a snooze, and it will all start all over again. Im sure they are delighted with their new playmate - they are of a size too, which is lovely

VERY BEST of luck to you and your lovely dogs

Thanks a mill! Hope I have no run ins with her owner now. That would break my heart. They clearly don't deserve her!

She was ice cold and matted and just in a bad state. Staff said they've seen her loads like that :(

She's delighted with life here, except she wants to be out the back all the time and stands at the open door until I keep telling her to come in. Then she curls up by the fire!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, whilst the op hasn't "stolen" this dog as such... It is perfectly acceptable to take a stray dog in off the street, as long as the correct procedures are followed, and OP, for your own sake I would call the local Garda station to let them know you've found the dog as this will cover you legally and protect you from potential allegations of stealing... It is not on to advocate doing anything dodgy or illegal.
    Do what ye want in your own time, but please don't implicate yourselves or boards.ie by using the forum to pass on not-quite-legal advice.
    Thanks,
    DBB

DBB wrote: »
    Folks, whilst the op hasn't "stolen" this dog as such... It is perfectly acceptable to take a stray dog in off the street, as long as the correct procedures are followed, and OP, for your own sake I would call the local Garda station to let them know you've found the dog as this will cover you legally and protect you from potential allegations of stealing... It is not on to advocate doing anything dodgy or illegal.
    Do what ye want in your own time, but please don't implicate yourselves or boards.ie by using the forum to pass on not-quite-legal advice.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Will do thanks! I've also posted on the Facebook page for the local area.

I want to keep her, but not illegally!

Advertisement