Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would stove be too hot?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi All
    Our baby will be a week old tonight.
    Anyway, I am dying to light our coal stove(Waterford Stanley Oisin) as to save on the gas. I am wondering would this be too hot for baby and should I just stick with having the heating on instead?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Have you got one of those Gro-Egg room thermometers? They're great for monitoring the temperature in a room and making sure it's just right for the baby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Does your baby monitor have a temperature reading?

A few places do promotional cards with basic room thermometers on them. I think I have one from energy ireland, and maybe from eumom? They look like this

temp_gauge_magnets.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Thanks all. I have a Motorola video baby monitor and it has a temp gauge on it. So am i right saying room temp should be between 16-20c?? Sorry for asking but as a first time mammy you constantly worry about every little thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

We have ours burning solid here for months there shouldn't be a problem . Your house could be different than everyone else's houses insulation etc. .
    Sure once you turn down the draught on it.
    I was in a house recently with underfloor heating and it to me was sickening as to how hot it was so each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes I think that's the ideal. We are usually between 18 and 20. (I find 16 a bit cold myself!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

All over Scandinavian, Canada, Russia and northern USA right now there are babies enjoying the warmth from a stove. They are tough little creatures and will cope with snug room. Light it and let baby integrate into your family life rather than making them the centre of your world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

We've been lighting our stove with weeks, couldn't do without it now! I find it dries out the air a bit so I put a baking tin full of water underneath and it makes a huge difference. Might be a good idea for ye. You'll notice that the water evaporates gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

er1983 wrote: »
    Thanks all. I have a Motorola video baby monitor and it has a temp gauge on it. So am i right saying room temp should be between 16-20c?? Sorry for asking but as a first time mammy you constantly worry about every little thing

I have one of these too. Just be aware it's not very accurate. Ours always says it's about 6 deg higher than it actually is cos it's on the other side of a wall the rad is on.
    If you lit the stove you could just take a layer off the baby maybe?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

We have ours going all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our stove is always on too,we have no back boiler though so it does not heat the rads too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We've got an Aga wood burner and it churns out heat like Dante's Inferno so it's all about regulating the temp as I don't think it's healthy to have it too hot. When bubs is downstairs during the day I just dress him in lighter clothes but then during the night it keeps the house nice and toasty yet he's still in his little Grobag. I find the Gro Egg great and worth investing in as it changes colour during the night to reflect temperature, I like to keep it around 18-20, perfect for colder weather.

Advertisement