Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trailer security. Does anything work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

A noisy unsociable dog is as good as anything. They'll have any trailer well scoped out and will know what equipment to bring with them to defeat it. That said, unless you can put it in a shed, which is no guarantee either, all you can do is slow them down with obstacles like you linked to, hitch locks that fit up into the hitch itself, chain to loop in concrete drive etc. The problem with all them is they're a PITA for everyday use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

I hear you. I know that If I make it too complicated, I will go through the security rigmarole for a few weeks when it's still a novelty but if it's too much of a PITA it won't last long. Have a dog. He's pretty vocal but a real softie at heart. Only problem is he's nearly always in his run at the other side of the house and out of sight of the trailer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

I think I remember seeing some trailers made stand out, like with a name painted on them etc. Harder to shift a trailer that stands out so that may make it less attractive (in many ways!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I think I remember seeing some trailers made stand out, like with a name painted on them etc. Harder to shift a trailer that stands out so that may make it less attractive (in many ways!).

Seen this while talking about horseboxes. An obscure design painted on it. Something that someone would remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

• Advertisement

Those hitch locks look pretty secure but I've heard that the serious thieves come along with their own hitch arm attachment which they can just clamp on to the target trailer and drive away to deal with it at their leisure and behind closed doors. I know that a determined thief will eventually get what he wants but I just want to make it as difficult as possible while keeping the PITA factor to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Trouble is, thieves now have battery angle grinders. Even bicycle thieves use them now. Lads ready to steal a trailer can easily bring a con. saw. Better to build something similar to the above device, but on a massively heavy scale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Write your name and mob number on it, any kind of lock these days is easy to deal with as outlined above. Shed to keep it out of sight and a dog is still a good deterrent. Worst case scenario is when they load up your quad and tools in your trailer and take the whole lot off.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Park it in a corner and leave something heavy infront like a tractor or bale trailer anything really that wont move without the tractor. Very inconvenient for them if they make to much noise or take to long.

Nothing is theft proof now so I wouldnt spend a fortune, just make it as akward for them and hope they dont bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Don't mind any of the GPS trackers. Lad I bought a trailer off a month ago told me that they clamp the earth of a welder onto the trailer and fry the tracker. The only option is insurance really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭enricoh

a lad beside me has an oul pig of a trailer n leaves it in the driveway all year round no bother, the lads with the ivor williams every month that they still have it is a bonus! the shinier it is the faster it vanishes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

blue5000 wrote: »
    Write your name and mob number on it, any kind of lock these days is easy to deal with as outlined above. Shed to keep it out of sight and a dog is still a good deterrent. Worst case scenario is when they load up your quad and tools in your trailer and take the whole lot off.

been there and they had a happy exit. they were caught the following morning but everything gone except a few small bits. i got a dog and the problems been solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Record trailer identification no
    Use a Hitch lock
    Keep trailer behind locked gate
    Park large heavy vehicle in front of gate
    Paint unique reference number on inaccessible area of trailer ie on roof of horse box / cattle trailer - can't been seen from ground but easily identified
    If it's an IforWilliams - log on to IfW website and register the trailer on their database
    Get a security camera that can be trained on trailer and access from the road.

None of the above will guarantee the trailer can't be stolen - but they make the trailer a lot less attractive to thieves looking for an easy target

If you don't have a gate at the side of the house - think about getting one and keep it locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nobody mentioned insurance. Some insurance companies will insure it on 4x4 policy for a small fee.

Take photos of it, the serial plate and any other unique features.

Might be worth your while getting an old banger to park up against yard gate.

Lock the hitch. Stick on a wheel clamp. And f**k them they've earned it if they take it after that.

Really when you think about it you only really have to have your trailer a rad better secured than your bext door neighbour.

Have heard anecdotally about one particular "scrap dealer" in Co Louth who has a flatbed truck with a grab arm for loading his scrap. He can pull up alongside a locked gate and lift anything within grab's reach in the yard. You can imagine what it would take to stop the likes of him. :) And I'm sure he's not the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

insurance for the trailers are normally 100-140 per trailer on the jeep policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

jeffwode wrote: »
    Have heard anecdotally about one particular "scrap dealer" in Co Louth who has a flatbed truck with a grab arm for loading his scrap. He can pull up alongside a locked gate and lift anything within grab's reach in the yard. You can imagine what it would take to stop the likes of him. :) And I'm sure he's not the only one.

223 Remington?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Gardai recently recovered a large collection of stolen Trailers in Carlow recently

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/fifteen-stolen-trailers-recovered-by-garda-30814062.html

I like your thinking on how to stop the very determined thieves, Nekarsulm. Must get a quote from FBD to add the trailer to the insurance. Well worth it, by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

jeffwode wrote: »
    Those hitch locks look pretty secure but I've heard that the serious thieves come along with their own hitch arm attachment which they can just clamp on to the target trailer and drive away to deal with it at their leisure and behind closed doors. I know that a determined thief will eventually get what he wants but I just want to make it as difficult as possible while keeping the PITA factor to a minimum.

Yipp something similar was done the smaller low loader trailer that the coco had for taking around their mini digger for digging graves. Was robbed from out side the grave yard while the lads were digging inside. They heard something out side and when they got out it was already gone.

Best bet is to try and keep in side a shed. Most times they just target what they can see so out of mind out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭orm0nd

insurance for the trailers are normally 100-140 per trailer on the jeep policy

you need to change your insurer, I have €5,500 cover for €50

Advertisement