Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Scrum Masters in here?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:33am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys
    Wondering if there are any scrum masters on here, potential role has come up and I have been asked to apply.
    But to be honest I have little experience of what a Scrum Master does, not the internet version, but what they do in real life! :D
    I'm a good few years of Agile development and the tools involved, so that will help.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

It's basically a snazzy term for someone who manages the scrums and sprints. Usually a company who isn't playing by the scum rules brings in a scrum master to run the operation.

I'm yet to be in a company who does agile properly or the same as any other company. Everybody does it differently and I think this is correct, the agile way should be adapted to each companies needs and workflows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

slinky2000 wrote: »
    It's basically a snazzy term for someone who manages the scrums and sprints. Usually a company who isn't playing by the scum rules brings in a scrum master to run the operation.

I'm yet to be in a company who does agile properly or the same as any other company. Everybody does it differently and I think this is correct, the agile way should be adapted to each companies needs and workflows.

Cheers for that. Ya in the last year they are really nailing down the use of Agile tools and methodologies and trains to ensure that the groups are adhering.
    At first it was tough to get used to but in fairness its working very well.

Stupid question, but do you think a Scrum Master is the same as a tech lead or a Project Manager?
    Good for the CV? Not sure if it is or isn't or should I just seek another dev job with good skillsets.

Thanks for your time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

yop wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Ya in the last year they are really nailing down the use of Agile tools and methodologies and trains to ensure that the groups are adhering.

Stupid question, but do you think a Scrum Master is the same as a tech lead or a Project Manager?
    Good for the CV? Not sure if it is or isn't or should I just seek another dev job with good skillsets.

Thanks for your time

They are different roles.

Have you looked into becoming a certified scrum master? It will give you an idea of what is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Guys
    Wondering if there are any scrum masters on here, potential role has come up and I have been asked to apply.
    But to be honest I have little experience of what a Scrum Master does, not the internet version, but what they do in real life! :D
    I'm a good few years of Agile development and the tools involved, so that will help.

Many thanks

I certified last year. Also have CSPO.
    how much experience are they looking for?
    Where's the role located?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've done scrum master in the past (and do stand in at present) and the main thing is to listen to what the team is saying. They should match up what they did yesterday with what they said they would do.
    Any difference should be called out and explained either as an impediment or as a change to the remaining work estimate.
    Next is raising and managing impediments and keeping the team sheltered from external influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Thanks for your time

They're different roles but use many of the same techniques of a project manager, just based on the rules of scrum.

It's always good for the CV, most companies I've worked for are looking for someone with good scrum management capabilities to come in and improve the process.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for all the details on that. If I get the job I think I will look at the certification for sure.

Appreciate the feedback

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for all the details on that. If I get the job I think I will look at the certification for sure.

Appreciate the feedback

There's a small outfit who run the Scrummaster certification courses quite regularly. Unusually, they also do weekend courses and if you're on their mailing list they'll send you details of some really good last minute deals every once in a while.

If you're interested, drop me a PM and I'll dig out their details. I haven't used them yet but I'm planning to.

Advertisement