Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-raising flour - already salted?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I used to be of the understanding that self-raising flour in the US had salt already added to it for convenience but that this was just a US thing. Then I discovered that self-raising flour here also has salt in it - just look at the nutritional info on the bag and there's usually around 1g of salt per 100g compared to virtually none in plain flour.

But now I'm beginning to wonder... If salt was added then you'd think it'd be listed as an ingredient? And it never is. Is it maybe the sodium in the raising agents that make self-raising flour 'salty'?

Stuff baked with self-raising flour tends to taste saltier but this might just be more of a slight bitterness from the raising agents.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The sodium will be from the sodium bicarbonate used as half of the raising agent. They don't need to add table salt to the flour.

Advertisement