Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apt Timer for Central Heating

Options
  • 08-01-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Was looking to replace the current timer for the central heating with an APT timer. When I took the cover off the current one i saw there's a brown, grey, green/yellow and black wire. The APT timer has a live in/live out, neutral and an earth connection.
    Taking the brown as the live, grey as the neutral and the green/yellow as the earth, I'm a little stumped as to what to do with the black wire. Is there a protocol for such?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Black is the switched live - connect it to the live out connection on the new timer. Both browns go to the live in terminal, both grays to the neutral terminal, and both green/yellows to the earth terminal. Make sure the supply is isolated before working on the wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Pete67 wrote: »
    Black is the switched live - connect it to the live out connection on the new timer. Both browns go to the live in terminal, both grays to the neutral terminal, and both green/yellows to the earth terminal. Make sure the supply is isolated before working on the wiring.

Above is correct.
    Brown perm. Live to boiler is for a pump overrun when clock switches off boiler.

"ALL Boilers" should also have a switched 3 or 5 amp fuse switch on supply to timeclock. This is to protect the appliance and also provide a way of turning of all power, (includung perm. live) for boiler servicing.
    Fuse board switch is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭leinster93

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

Advertisement