Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router

Options
  • 08-01-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a Belkin wireless router http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wireless-G-4-Port-Router/dp/B001CN9K6E in the house.
    I have an office behind the house where the efibre box is and there is cat 5 cable going from the office to the house- router.
    The wifi in the house is poor and getting worse. is it a case that I need a new router if so what should I get?
    Help please.
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Download and run InSSIDer it will show you all the wireless networks in your vicinity along with the channel they are operating on. Try and choose a channel five away from the nearest ones. Channels 1,6 & 11 are the three with least overlap.

Wireless is very susceptible to RF interference. Signal strength does not equate to quality you can have high strength and zero quality if there are multiple routers all transmitting on the same channel.

It's just the same as having two adjacent radio stations on the same channel you'll get a great signal but just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Will91w

As FLS suggested try changing the channel on your wifi. It can make a big difference especially if everyone in your area is on the same channel. I usually use channel 13 and saw significant results as soon as i switched.

If that does not solve your issue then i would buy a wifi booster. They can be bought in argos ect.. and they are simply used to boost the signal of your wifi all over your house.

Alternatively you could get an old router and stick it in repeater mode.

1. the router will need to support repeater mode
    2. it can be quite tricky to set up
    3 it's free if you have an old router that supports it.

Just check out youtube for tutorials on how to set up repeater mode on a router.

Advertisement