Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from NZ to Australia

Options
  • 08-01-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Has anybody moved from NZ to Australia? We have been in NZ for two years and just dont like it here. I was thinking of moving to Australia, probably Perth. Is it any easier moving from here to there than it is moving from Ireland with regard to visas etc or do you have to go through the whole process again? We have our residency visas here but not citizenship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Get citizenship then just move over and start working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

That takes a few years does it not?

That takes a few years does it not?

Get NZ citizenship and that allows you to work in oz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Zambia wrote: »
    Get NZ citizenship and that allows you to work in oz

I mean, does it not take a few years to get nz citizenship. I am looking for a more short term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Where in NZ are you .Have you worked out what you don't like about NZ ? Could you end up "out of the fat and into the fire " by moving to a part of oz that still doesn't suit you "

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

We have been in NZ for two years and just dont like it here.

Out of interest, why do you not like NZ? I would say in most instances, people do the opposite to what you intend to do. When there Oz visa runs out they head to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Beware of the restrictions a kiwi citizen would have in Australia: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11210330

You might want to check out if you're better off with getting a visa with your Irish citizenship (I'm assuming your Irish) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I thought once you were a permanent resident in one that gave you working rights in the other.

I know that when I was flying to NZ from Perth there was a drama as I hadnt a return flight and was using a new passport. Once they confirmed I was an australian permanent resident they didnt give a hoot. I was told I could stay and work there if I wanted...

Slideways wrote: »
    I thought once you were a permanent resident in one that gave you working rights in the other.

I know that when I was flying to NZ from Perth there was a drama as I hadnt a return flight and was using a new passport. Once they confirmed I was an australian permanent resident they didnt give a hoot. I was told I could stay and work there if I wanted...

Sometimes people confuse a permanent resident for a citizen, from what I read the trans Tasman agreement States citizen only.

But hey I could be wrong. If the op rings diac they will no doubt let him know.

I mean, does it not take a few years to get nz citizenship. I am looking for a more short term plan.

Ah, I got squat there. Some things take time. Unless you can avail of a whv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Zambia wrote: »
    Sometimes people confuse a permanent resident for a citizen, from what I read the trans Tasman agreement States citizen only.

But hey I could be wrong. If the op rings diac they will no doubt let him know.

http://www.nzembassy.com/australia/going-new-zealand/working-new-zealand

Looks like it's only one way..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I moved from NZ to Australia. If you are unhappy in NZ then you need to specify why and what it is about the place that you don't like as you may not find solace in Australia either.

Of course the first thing to consider is the visa. If you are a Kiwi Citizen then you are laughing, even though there are restrictions in regards paying for Uni and Centrelink benefits, you can work away here.

As mentioned if you are a Permanent Resident in NZ then you are out of luck as it is only one way that is applies. Australian PR can enable you to work in NZ though.
    So I presume you are going to come here on a WHV or maybe a sponsorship. If you are working with a company with a presence in Australia, then talk to them about a move.

This is what I did. The move was suppose to be for a bit. I said I would give it a go for a few months and see what happens. 5 years and Australian passport in hand I am still here and quite happy. I never really wanted to move to Sydney, it just kinda happened but when you are in the scenario you put the effort in and make the most out of it, rather than waiting for it to happen to you. The rewards can be immense once you put the effort in.

The ironic thing was I was quite happy in NZ. I loved it (was in CHCH by the way pre-earthquake) and given my visa situation I would have stayed. Maybe because it was a new country and new experience at the time I held NZ up to a certain pedestal while my opinion about Australia was indifferent (meh, NZ rocks, Australia suck). I am a little older and wiser now, maybe more level headed and can see the good and bad more clearly in both places. Now, looking back I am much better off here than in NZ, my career has moved on, I am healthier by far, I am wealthier due to the good wages.

This comes back to why are you unhappy with NZ. If its about being away from home, being around strange people, hard to make friends etc, then Australia will probably not cure you of those feelings.

If its about opportunity, weather, beach lifestyle, money, pretty girls ;), living in a world city like Sydney or Melbourne, making your own way in the world, than Australia may well help you in this regard. I am not sure what industry you are in but you will in all likelihood be earning much more here than in NZ based on my experience.

I find some people struggle long term in NZ due to the fact that it is so hard to get ahead. It is a much smaller country, so opportunities are much less available, taxes are higher, so many things are expensive and there is a certain Kiwi-ness about somethings that drove me mad. NZ long term is in my opinion only for people who are tired of the big city rat race, in their 40's and are bringing a wad of cash with them to buy a decent place. Almost a semi retirement if you will. Australia is for those who are young, hungry and eager. If you fit into the latter then by all means give it a go, I never looked back.

Advertisement