Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MK2 Focus or MK5 Golf? Or something else below€4000

• 08-01-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a new car, my price range is about €2000 - 4000. I mainly drive about 20km in the city on workdays and two 60k drives at the weekend.

I'm driving an Alfa 156 1.8 TI atm, but the ride is not anywhere near as good as my previous mk1 focus in the city, its too harsh, although its nicer on the motorway. My Dad's a retired mechanic and is adamant that the mk1 Focus is one the most well built/reliable cars ever made!

I'm in two minds of getting a sensible car (mk5 Golf or mk2 Focus) or something fun when I'm still in my 20's. I've been lusting after Alfa GT/159s, E46 320cd's, E90 318i's . I think I'm going to exclude the Audi TT, mx5 and mk3 MR2, their too girly! (Although I do think their market price has bottomed out, could be good investments) Unless someone can change my mind?

If I was to get a golf or focus it would have to something of the sportier 3 door variety, but not ST/GTi engines, just the looks;)

Any suggestions? Golf TSIs are still out of my price range I think. I was also looking at sporty spec (1.6TDCI or 1.6i with tasteful ST kit) mk2 Focus's from the north, 05-06 models are only about €650 VRT, and they seem to be very rare in the south. Is the early mk2 diesel good? Dual Flywheel/clutch issues?

Or an I'm better holding out until I can afford an 08 model and reap the benefits of cheaper tax?

(Maybe in 5 years I'll be able to afford an E90 320cd:cool:)
    Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement