Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can bark be layed directly onto lawn?

• 08-01-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Can I lay bark directly on the lawn or do I need to put the weedcontrol layer on first?

I have to tidy the lawn. I want to make a path for the dogs especially.

I'm eager to get this done as the garden is turning to a muck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

No, you definitely need to prepare the ground first. Even after putting the weed control fabric down you may have an issue with the dogs digging away at the bark. My preference would be to lift off the sod from the path (i.e. digging the path area out by cutting it into sods and lifting the sods out- going down maybe four inches or so). Then lay the fabric along this and backfill with the bark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

baaba maal wrote: »
    No, you definitely need to prepare the ground first. Even after putting the weed control fabric down you may have an issue with the dogs digging away at the bark. My preference would be to lift off the sod from the path (i.e. digging the path area out by cutting it into sods and lifting the sods out- going down maybe four inches or so). Then lay the fabric along this and backfill with the bark.

I thought so. unfortunately conditions for digging and outdoor work a very poor right now.

I wonder if I temporarily threw down bark on grass how much damage bark would do to the lawn.
    I plan on fencing off most of the garden and then making at least a temporary path around the rest of the lawn so that the dogs can run on dry ground.
    The permanent solution will have to wait until Spring when the ground drys out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

lol you think dogs are going to stick to a path. you're wasting your time putting it directly on grass. list to previous advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

n1st wrote: »
    I thought so. unfortunately conditions for digging and outdoor work a very poor right now.

I wonder if I temporarily threw down bark on grass how much damage bark would do to the lawn.
    I plan on fencing off most of the garden and then making at least a temporary path around the rest of the lawn so that the dogs can run on dry ground.
    The permanent solution will have to wait until Spring when the ground drys out.

as others have said a complete waste of time and bark. it will blow away the dogs will dig at it, the grass will grow up through and around it. when you cut the grass the lawnmower will shred and scatter it.
    it will be an unholy mess.

taking up the sod and backfilling it is the way to go. to be honest bark does not make a great path anyway as it blows away and weeds and grass grow on and through it. if you want a good path you would be better to go with paving or at least gravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

farmchoice wrote: »
    as others have said a complete waste of time and bark. it will blow away the dogs will dig at it, the grass will grow up through and around it. when you cut the grass the lawnmower will shred and scatter it.
    it will be an unholy mess.

taking up the sod and backfilling it is the way to go. to be honest bark does not make a great path anyway as it blows away and weeds and grass grow on and through it. if you want a good path you would be better to go with paving or at least gravel.

Thanks all.

I'll be digging a permanent path for pebble and flagstone in the spring when the garden dries a bit.
    For now an emergency solution of bark is keeping the path cleaner than muck but not ideal.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement