Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLS 2015

• 08-01-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭

Opening fixtures announced today

March 6
    LA Galaxy vs Chicago Fire

March 7
    DC United vs Montreal Impact
    Philadelphia Union vs Colorado Rapids
    Vancouver Whitecaps vs Toronto FC
    Houston Dynamo vs Columbus Crew
    FC Dallas vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland Timbers vs Real Salt Lake

March 8
    Orlando City vs New York City
    Sporting Kansas vs New York Red Bulls
    Seattle Sounders vs New England Revolution

BT Sports will be covering the league as far as I know and some of the more attractive fixtures there would be LA Galaxy vs Chicago Fire (LA Galaxy last year's champions), Orlando City vs New York City (the 2 new clubs to the league as part of the expansion), and Seattle Sounders vs New England Revolution (last year's Supporter's Shield winners vs last year's Playoff finalists)

Expect interest to heighten in the summer if Gerrard and Lampard do end up in the MLS from July onwards with LA Galaxy and New York City.

There'd be a few familiar faces to those who follow European football already but aren't familiar with the MLS. Notables who made it in Europe include David Villa (New York City), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), and Kaka (Orlando City).

Some less notables who most of us would still probably know from their time in Europe include Emmanuel Pogatetz (Columbus Crew), Marco Di Vaio (Montreal Impact), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Tim Cahill, Bradley Wright Phillips (New York Red Bulls), Brek Shea (Orlando City) Stephen Caldwell, Luke Moore (Toronto), Zat Knight (Colorado Rapids), Giles Barnes (Houston Dynamo), Obafemi Martins (Seattle Sounders), Andy O'Brien (Vancouver Whitecaps) aswell as Owen Coyle who is managing Houston Dynamo

Still time before the season starts so expect a few more big designated player signings.

A decent chunk of the impressive US side from World Cup 2014 Brazil should still be playing in the MLS also. Dempsey, Besler, Beckerman, Jones among those.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

CSF wrote: »
    Opening fixtures announced today

March 6
    LA Galaxy vs Chicago Fire

March 7
    DC United vs Montreal Impact
    Philadelphia Union vs Colorado Rapids
    Vancouver Whitecaps vs Toronto FC
    Houston Dynamo vs Columbus Crew
    FC Dallas vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland Timbers vs Real Salt Lake

March 8
    Orlando City vs New York City
    Sporting Kansas vs New York Red Bulls
    Seattle Sounders vs New England Revolution

BT Sports will be covering the league as far as I know and some of the more attractive fixtures there would be LA Galaxy vs Chicago Fire (LA Galaxy last year's champions), Orlando City vs New York City (the 2 new clubs to the league as part of the expansion), and Seattle Sounders vs New England Revolution (last year's Supporter's Shield winners vs last year's Playoff finalists)

Expect interest to heighten in the summer if Gerrard and Lampard do end up in the MLS from July onwards with LA Galaxy and New York City.

There'd be a few familiar faces to those who follow European football already but aren't familiar with the MLS. Notables who made it in Europe include David Villa (New York City), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), and Kaka (Orlando City).

Some less notables who most of us would still probably know from their time in Europe include Emmanuel Pogatetz (Columbus Crew), Marco Di Vaio (Montreal Impact), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Tim Cahill, Bradley Wright Phillips (New York Red Bulls), Brek Shea (Orlando City) Stephen Caldwell, Luke Moore (Toronto), Zat Knight (Colorado Rapids), Giles Barnes (Houston Dynamo), Obafemi Martins (Seattle Sounders), Andy O'Brien (Vancouver Whitecaps) aswell as Owen Coyle who is managing Houston Dynamo

Still time before the season starts so expect a few more big designated player signings.

A decent chunk of the impressive US side from World Cup 2014 Brazil should still be playing in the MLS also. Dempsey, Besler, Beckerman, Jones among those.

Marco Di Vaio has retired from Impact De Montréal, they now have Nigel Reo-Coker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thanks for setting up the thread CSF.

Here's hoping for another successful season for The Galaxy. It's going to be strange eventually having Steven Gerrard on a team I actually like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mars Bar wrote: »

Here's hoping for another successful season for The Galaxy. It's going to be strange eventually having Steven Gerrard on a team I actually like.

New England Revolution myself. Uncle lives in Boston so on the rare occasion Id get over to visit ive ventured along to Foxboro, probably catch a game or 2 again in the 2016 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Not really an mls fan but I will be making sure to watch la galaxy this year when I can . Gerrard should be a great signing for them !!

New England Revolution myself. Uncle lives in Boston so on the rare occasion Id get over to visit ive ventured along to Foxboro, probably catch a game or 2 again in the 2016 season.

I spent the summer coaching football in "So Cal" and got to three Galaxy games. That's my connection to them.

• Advertisement

Not really an mls fan but I will be making sure to watch la galaxy this year when I can . Gerrard should be a great signing for them !!
    Yeah I'd imagine even with his age he is still at a high enough level to be the best player in the league when he goes there. Kaka, Villa and Lampard will all be pretty impressive additions to the league also, if Lampard does in fact end up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Yeah I'd imagine even with his age he is still at a high enough level to be the best player in the league when he goes there. Kaka, Villa and Lampard will all be pretty impressive additions to the league also, if Lampard does in fact end up there.

The only thing I wonder about Lampard will he actually go and play in the mls now . The loan deal got extended fairly quickly .

Going to be moving to Toronto in March so going to make an effort with the MLS this year.

Went to a couple of Chicago Fire games in 2009 and 2010 and thought the day out at the game was a great experience with tailgating and the general atmosphere around the place but the football on both occasion was not the best

The only thing I wonder about Lampard will he actually go and play in the mls now . The loan deal got extended fairly quickly .

Tbh, Id expect him to start around the same time as Gerrard but I'd expect his future to be in doubt again once the January 2016 window comes along and there's all sorts of MLS loan rumours like most years.

I spent the summer coaching football in "So Cal" and got to three Galaxy games. That's my connection to them.

Lived in Montreal for their last season in the NASL before starting in MLS, season tickets cost less than one game ticket to a hockey game then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Going to be moving to Toronto in March so going to make an effort with the MLS this year.

Went to a couple of Chicago Fire games in 2009 and 2010 and thought the day out at the game was a great experience with tailgating and the general atmosphere around the place but the football on both occasion was not the best

In Toronto myself for a wedding in the summer so hopefully I'll be able to catch a game. The BMO field has been extended in the off season so should be easier to get tickets than in the past.

dan1895 wrote: »
    In Toronto myself for a wedding in the summer so hopefully I'll be able to catch a game. The BMO field has been extended in the off season so should be easier to get tickets than in the past.

Yeah, its looking like it will be a pretty nice stadium now once finished...

gensler_bmo_day.jpg?w=672&h=448&crop=1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's in the middle of expansion. No extra seats till 2016.

It's in the middle of expansion. No extra seats till 2016.

Phase 1 will be complete which includes the extra seats;

Phase 1
    Additional 8,400 seats with additional washrooms and concession stands
    12 new executive suites, 2 party suites and a loge box
    New full service kitchen for restaurants, suites and clubs
    Two new private clubs:
    West Grandstand, Event Level – 230 patrons
    East Grandstand, Event Level – 420 patrons
    Expansion of Rogers Club – current capacity of 500 is increased to 750 with upgraded look and feel, improved food and beverage and washroom facilities
    New larger full HD videoboard replacing existing north videoboard
    New concourse (2nd level) around south end of stadium allowing for one continuous concourse (at the upper concourse level)
    Budget of $65M
    Completion May 1, 2015

Phase 2
    Addition of full size canopy covering all seats with exception of North Grandstand
    New sound and lighting system
    Budget of $40M
    Completion May 1, 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Maybe the Fire will realise this season that the objective is to win games and not draw them.

6 wins, 18 draws and 10 losses in the league last season. I did get to see them win a game though, and see Henry and Cahill in the process. Got to a few over the summer and really enjoyed them. There's a singing section with drums/horns/trumpets behind one of the ends, and it creates a great atmosphere. Only problem for Chicago is how far the stadium is outside of the city. But there are rumours that they may be moving back to Soldier Field, or at least playing some games there each season. Think they average around 17k.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Maybe the Fire will realise this season that the objective is to win games and not draw them.

6 wins, 18 draws and 10 losses in the league last season. I did get to see them win a game though, and see Henry and Cahill in the process. Got to a few over the summer and really enjoyed them. There's a singing section with drums/horns/trumpets behind one of the ends, and it creates a great atmosphere. Only problem for Chicago is how far the stadium is outside of the city. But there are rumours that they may be moving back to Soldier Field, or at least playing some games there each season. Think they average around 17k.

I still have their stupid chant in my head 4 years later

Cheerleader: "who's the best?"
    Crowd: "FIRE"
    Cheerleader: "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?"

and so on...

I still have their stupid chant in my head 4 years later

Cheerleader: "who's the best?"

and so on...

In the Stub Hub in L.A. when they are naming the Galaxy team, the announcer calls the number and then the players first name and then the crowd shouts out the surname. When a player scores he'll shout, for example, "Robbie!" and the crowd will shout back "Keane!". This happens three times and then he'll say "Thank You" and the crowd shouts back, "You're welcome!" :D Such a mannerly bunch.

In the Stub Hub in L.A. when they are naming the Galaxy team, the announcer calls the number and then the players first name and then the crowd shouts out the surname. When a player scores he'll shout, for example, "Robbie!" and the crowd will shout back "Keane!". This happens three times and then he'll say "Thank You" and the crowd shouts back, "You're welcome!" :D Such a mannerly bunch.
    That's from Bundesliga. Most clubs do the same except it goes 'Danke' 'Bitte'.

Altidore to replace Defoe at Toronto by the sounds of it. He'd probably have had bigger boots to fill if Defoe hadn't missed so many games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I'm kind of getting tired of the LA Galaxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Didn't realise Andy O'Brien was still playing!!

Sky have the TV rights this year. Anyone with any idea if they're showing a game each evening this week? Sky Sports 5 probably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I caught the end of the ad there earlier and they seem to be showing the 2 New York games on Sunday. Didn't see any mention of others. Thought it was odd they didn't have at least a game each day. especially seeing as its the first week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Sky have the TV rights this year. Anyone with any idea if they're showing a game each evening this week? Sky Sports 5 probably?

The press-release said they're showing at least two games each week. So that's Sunday night on Sky Sports 3. 9pm and 11pm, I think. And probably extended highlights the next day. I'd imagine their approach to it will be quite similar to NFL. It's great for MLS. Sky always push their programming, so you can expect greater coverage on Sky Sports News as well.

I caught the end of the ad there earlier and they seem to be showing the 2 New York games on Sunday. Didn't see any mention of others. Thought it was odd they didn't have at least a game each day. especially seeing as its the first week.

I thnk they are showing just 2 games a week and all the play offs with goals then on sky sports news

sugarman wrote: »
    So does that mean Setanta / BT wont have any games this year?

Yea sky picked them up from them, hope it does not mean an end to the highlights on the MLS app

It's actually the 10pm Orlando v New York City game that's on, and the midnight Kansas v Red Bulls game.

They'd have been better served going with the Saturday night game than midnight on a Sunday IMO. Realistically there's no hope of me staying up til 2 am on a worknight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I say this every year, but this year I'm gonna properly get into the MLS and watch as many games as I can

COYVB wrote: »
    I say this every year, but this year I'm gonna properly get into the MLS and watch as many games as I can
    Cracking evening of football next Sunday night anyway. Atletico vs Valencia followed by Orlando vs New York City.

I could not be more in.

• Advertisement

We just got rid of our Sky Sports package as it was too expensive. Got a much better deal on Setanta/BT. :(

We just got rid of our Sky Sports package as it was too expensive. Got a much better deal on Setanta/BT. :(
    Too much football these days to not have both for me. With Premier League, MLS, and La Liga on Sky, it is hard to justify not having it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

watched loads of the mls last year and this year will be no different.

Orlando with Kaka and NYC with Villa are great new additions however overall strength of their squads is very hard to tell just yet.

Should have lampard and gerrard arriving mid season but wont be big this year as both will be tired from a full premiership season.

Big spending Toronto look like they will have a go, however they struggled last year. With Givinco, bradley and altidore they have massive potential.

Galaxy still have keane but Landon retiring will be massive. Dont rule out Seattle with The hero that is clint Dempsey.

Overall might be the best MLS season ever. Lots of teams in with a shout.

The season was saved from not starting on time yesterday when the CBA was finally signed between the players and the league.

It all starts back tonight as last year's champion's LA Galaxy play the Chicago Fire in LA. The Fire will be buoyed by the big signing they made in bringing Shaun Maloney to the club.

Should be a good game to open up the season with, starts at 3am our time tonight if anyone is gonna watch. Think I'll try get a few hours sleep before it!

All fixtures for the opening weekend are:

All times are in GMT

March 7

03:00 LA Galaxy ? - ? Chicago Fire

20:00 DC United ? - ? Montreal Impact
    21:00 Philadelphia Union ? - ? Colorado Rapids
    23:00 Vancouver Whitecaps ? - ? Toronto FC

March 8

01:30 FC Dallas ? - ? San Jose Earthquakes
    01:30 Houston Dynamo ? - ? Columbus Crew
    03:30 Portland Timbers ? - ? Real Salt Lake
    21:00 Orlando City ? - ? New York City FC (Live on Sky Sports)
    23:00 Sporting Kansas City ? - ? New York Red Bulls (Live on Sky Sports)

March 9

01:30 Seattle Sounders FC ? - ? New England Rev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Come on you Caps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Panthro wrote: »
    Come on you Caps!

Booooo!!!

• Advertisement

The season was saved from not starting on time yesterday when the CBA was finally signed between the players and the league.

It all starts back tonight as last year's champion's LA Galaxy play the Chicago Fire in LA. The Fire will be buoyed by the big signing they made in bringing Shaun Maloney to the club.

Should be a good game to open up the season with, starts at 3am our time tonight if anyone is gonna watch. Think I'll try get a few hours sleep before it!

All fixtures for the opening weekend are:

All times are in GMT

March 7

03:00 LA Galaxy ? - ? Chicago Fire

20:00 DC United ? - ? Montreal Impact
    21:00 Philadelphia Union ? - ? Colorado Rapids

March 8

01:30 FC Dallas ? - ? San Jose Earthquakes
    01:30 Houston Dynamo ? - ? Columbus Crew
    03:30 Portland Timbers ? - ? Real Salt Lake
    21:00 Orlando City ? - ? New York City FC (Live on Sky Sports)
    23:00 Sporting Kansas City ? - ? New York Red Bulls (Live on Sky Sports)

March 9

01:30 Seattle Sounders FC ? - ? New England Rev.
    Is it not 10 and 12 for the Sunday night games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Booooo!!!

The fan rivalry is intense here on Boards!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Lets not forget Sean St.Ledger has signed for Orlando City.

Is it not 10 and 12 for the Sunday night games?

American clocks go forward this week, which is earlier than us. So there's only a four hour difference between the East Coast and here until our clocks change.

American clocks go forward this week, which is earlier than us. So there's only a four hour difference between the East Coast and here until our clocks change.
    So it is actually 9 and 11 Irish time? Lovely, I'll watch both games so.

• Advertisement

Ahh well Sky have ruined the MLS app, used to get 10 min game highlight videos now no longer get them

Fire dominated last night by LA. Shows the level they need to get to. Took Keane less than a game to get off the mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone watching Orlando v New York City? Kaka and Villa starting for their respective sides with St Ledger on the bench for Orlando. Nasty looking collision with a post for the NYC goalkeeper there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great atmosphere for a game where 2 clubs are straight out of the box. A good few light blue jerseys around the stadium too. It will be interesting to see how Orlando's attendances fair over the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Did that ref used to be in the LOI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rivas of Orlando is rapid. :eek: Has been caught offside a couple of times in great situations so could certainly learn to use his pace a bit better however.

Well New York is a new team Orlando have been going for 4 years this is 5 season but 1st in MLS

Did that ref used to be in the LOI?

Yep. Alan Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Same Orlando, Always Cheating

It's not been a great advert for MLS so far, barring a few moments of Kaka magic

• Advertisement
Advertisement