Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLS 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Galaxy in complete dissaray, Sean St Ledger the bedrock on which this Orlando performance has its foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galaxy in complete dissaray, Sean St Ledger the bedrock on which this Orlando performance has its foundation.

Galaxy are having an atrocious season. Keane is just back in training and should be fit in the next few weeks.

In other news, Los Angeles Football Club is confirmed for the 2017 season so an L.A Derby will be on the horizon. They'll be going in to the existing LA Sports Arena that has been left idle and they'll be renovating it.

It seems mad to have two clubs 20 minutes drive on the 110 from each other.

The first L.A derby shots have been fired :D

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/600370529732722688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nil all against your arch rivals, penalty in the last minute, ah sure I'll just belt it wide.

Poor Kevin Doyle an unused sub also.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

So tonight there is the New York derby first up which will be exciting I think. Then as a dessert, we have what my pal calls the hipster derby of Portland against Seattle. Clint Dempsey will be back against the team he lost the rag with in the cup.

That's a pretty tasty double bill IMO. Anybody watching, or planning to?

So tonight there is the New York derby first up which will be exciting I think. Then as a dessert, we have what my pal calls the hipster derby of Portland against Seattle. Clint Dempsey will be back against the team he lost the rag with in the cup.

That's a pretty tasty double bill IMO. Anybody watching, or planning to?

Will watch the Derby for sure, the later games are usually too much when I've work in the morning.

CSF wrote: »
    Will watch the Derby for sure, the later games are usually too much when I've work in the morning.

Usually the case for myself but I luckily got tomorrow off. Who are you going for? I'm going for redbulls first because I'm not too attracted to a man city/Yankees selection

Seattle to win the other. Paypack for the other week

Usually the case for myself but I luckily got tomorrow off. Who are you going for? I'm going for redbulls first because I'm not too attracted to a man city/Yankees selection

Seattle to win the other. Paypack for the other week

Think I'm on the blue side. They seem destined to be the team of the New Yorkers with Red Bull attracting more from New Jersey. Looking forward to making a trip over there to see what it's actually like though because you never really fully grasp that on the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Think I'm on the blue side. They seem destined to be the team of the New Yorkers with Red Bull attracting more from New Jersey. Looking forward to making a trip over there to see what it's actually like though because you never really fully grasp that on the Internet.

I was at their last two home games, good atmosphere created by the supporters.
    25k at each game, however it's just not right in a baseball stadium.
    They are starting to play a bit better recently.

dobsdave wrote: »
    I was at their last two home games, good atmosphere created by the supporters.
    25k at each game, however it's just not right in a baseball stadium.
    They are starting to play a bit better recently.

Watched the game they won the night of the Ireland/Scotland game. Can't remember the opponents, possibly DC United. Saunders the keeper is absolutely the weak link. Villa and Diskerud are absolutely strong points, but I'd fear for Diskerud with the introduction of Lampard/Pirlo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Watched the game they won the night of the Ireland/Scotland game. Can't remember the opponents, possibly DC United. Saunders the keeper is absolutely the weak link. Villa and Diskerud are absolutely strong points, but I'd fear for Diskerud with the introduction of Lampard/Pirlo.

Montreal, yeah they badly need some help in midfield. Villa was trying to do it all at times!

Dempsey is still suspended for tonight is he not?

I'll be shouting for Man City Melbourne City Yokohama F-Marinos NYCFC in the derby I think.

Lotta love for NYCFC. Hopefully it'll be a good game regardless, a close affair unlike the pats Longford game I watched Friday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good game last night in the New York "Derby", Red Bulls really hammered City. Wright-Phillips made it on the scoresheet for the Red Bulls as well.

Portland hammered Seattle 4-1 but I didn't bother staying up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Portland were by far the better team in the first half, Seattle just scraped a set piece goal, couldnt manage the second half but seems the right team won. As for the NY game, NYCFC are horrid bad, have watched them at least five times this season and they are consistently poor, Diskerud went awol, Villa tries but has no help and the left back literally cannot pass the ball anything longer than ten feet. If i was them id not bother with Pirlo and look for a second DP striker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The defending for the third Red Bulls goal was shocking and the NYCFC keeper looked dodgy as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Portland were by far the better team in the first half, Seattle just scraped a set piece goal, couldnt manage the second half but seems the right team won. As for the NY game, NYCFC are horrid bad, have watched them at least five times this season and they are consistently poor, Diskerud went awol, Villa tries but has no help and the left back literally cannot pass the ball anything longer than ten feet. If i was them id not bother with Pirlo and look for a second DP striker.

With Lampard and Pirlo to join along with City academy left back Angelino(who city have massive hopes for and is top notch) they will be much better for the second half of the season.

POKERKING wrote: »
    With Lampard and Pirlo to join along with City academy left back Angelino(who city have massive hopes for and is top notch) they will be much better for the second half of the season.

When is Lampard scheduled to make his debut?

Can't play before July 7 afaik, so probably Toronto game on July 12

• Advertisement

Can't play before July 7 afaik, so probably Toronto game on July 12

Not a moment too soon for NYCFC, they are having an awful season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

POKERKING wrote: »

Still think they need more help up top, Villa cant play every game and they have nobody capable of replacing him or even anyone capable of getting goals at MLS level, a seasoned MLS campaigner like Kenny Cooper would have been a good signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You can see in the way he plays that Villa basically thinks the rest of the team is shit.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You can see in the way he plays that Villa basically thinks the rest of the team is shit.

We were talking about Villa in work today it's like playing 5 a side and there's one lad who's miles better than everyone else and he knows it, the only way that lad will pass you the ball is by mis-shooting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

You guys should check out the amazing freekick routine for the first goal:

Anyone watching the redbulls game now on sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The brilliant Copa 90, who cover some of the biggest fixtures on the planet including our own Dublin Derby, have made their way Stateside in their latest edition of Derby Days. This time, it's Portland Timbers vs Seattle Sounders in the Battle of Cascadia. Well worth a look and could stir up interest in the North West of America. These guys are cool.

Have any of ye seen Robbie's goal for the Galaxy last night?

Just watching the NYC vs Toronto game now and the camera angles are all weird.

3 penalties and there's only been 38 minutes played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Giovinco with a first half hat trick

Very entertaining game. Toronto have also missed a penalty and David Villa missed a sitter so it could have been 3-4.

Giovinco's dink over the keeper was lovely for the third.

• Advertisement

Another pen lol
    4 penos. 2 each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a game this is!

Haha, 4-4 now! Great game for the T.V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Have any of ye seen Robbie's goal for the Galaxy last night?

Just watching the NYC vs Toronto game now and the camera angles are all weird.

They play at Yankee Stadium, narrow/short pitch.

NY Red Bulls' Matt Miazga's celebration after he scored against them a few weeks ago:

Pzc1wXl.gif

MLS saleries published:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Interesting ones:

COL Doyle Kevin F $ 1,125,000.00 $ 1,170,000.00
    LA Keane Robbie F $ 4,500,000.00 $ 4,500,000.00
    LA Gerrard Steven M $ 6,200,004.00 $ 6,332,504.00
    ORL St. Ledger Sean D $ 124,992.00 $ 147,492.00
    NYCFC Pirlo Andrea M $ 2,000,004.00 $ 2,315,694.00
    NYCFC Villa David F $ 5,610,000.00 $ 5,610,000.00
    SEA Dempsey Clint F $ 3,913,008.00 $ 4,605,941.50
    SEA Martins Obafemi F $ 2,400,000.00 $ 3,000,000.00
    TOR Altidore Jozy F $ 4,750,000.00 $ 4,750,000.00
    TOR Bradley Michael M $ 6,000,000.00 $ 6,500,000.00
    TOR Giovinco Sebastian M $ 5,600,000.00 $ 7,115,555.67
    ORL Kaka M $ 6,660,000.00 $ 7,167,500.00
    NE Jones Jermaine M $ 2,800,000.00 $ 3,052,500.00
    CHI Maloney Shaun M $ 1,550,000.00 $ 1,586,000.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus ,Toronto seems to be the place to go if your an average player looking to get big money

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Would have thought St. Ledger could do better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

peacock169 wrote: »

Would have thought Pirlo would have done better. He's getting paid less than half of what 1 goal a season Altidore gets?

Jesus ,Toronto seems to be the place to go if your an average player looking to get big money

However beyond those 3 DP's, the rest of the team is shyte.

Serious vibe of Austin Powers off Kevin Doyle's salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm not looking to attack the league as I enjoy watching the games but I'm just wondering is it a deliberate move from clubs not to invest in "star" defensive names to create higher scoring, more entertaining games?

Some of the anticipation and positioning of the goalkeepers and defenders is really amateur making it easy for the likes of over the hill players like Keane to bang in goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You don't even need to be average, you can get good money for merely being Jozy Altidore!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

peacock169 wrote: »

I'd say a club in the LoI could have stumped that up. I always liked St. Ledger, that list just goes to show that some players have better agents than others.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd say a club in the LoI could have stumped that up.

Hes still only 30. Even if he does fancy a stint in the LOI theres plenty of time. I'd happily do a few years in Orlando on 3 grand a week over the same in Cork or Dublin tbh. He wouldnt have been getting pics with Taylor Swift and having papers make up stories about a relationship playing for Rovers.:)

Live the good life for a few years while you can imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

FatherTed wrote: »
    MLS saleries published:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Interesting ones:

COL Doyle Kevin F $ 1,125,000.00 $ 1,170,000.00
    LA Keane Robbie F $ 4,500,000.00 $ 4,500,000.00
    LA Gerrard Steven M $ 6,200,004.00 $ 6,332,504.00
    ORL St. Ledger Sean D $ 124,992.00 $ 147,492.00
    NYCFC Pirlo Andrea M $ 2,000,004.00 $ 2,315,694.00
    NYCFC Villa David F $ 5,610,000.00 $ 5,610,000.00
    SEA Dempsey Clint F $ 3,913,008.00 $ 4,605,941.50
    SEA Martins Obafemi F $ 2,400,000.00 $ 3,000,000.00
    TOR Altidore Jozy F $ 4,750,000.00 $ 4,750,000.00
    TOR Bradley Michael M $ 6,000,000.00 $ 6,500,000.00
    TOR Giovinco Sebastian M $ 5,600,000.00 $ 7,115,555.67
    ORL Kaka M $ 6,660,000.00 $ 7,167,500.00
    NE Jones Jermaine M $ 2,800,000.00 $ 3,052,500.00
    CHI Maloney Shaun M $ 1,550,000.00 $ 1,586,000.00

The wage disparities in the league are crazy. A good deal of posters here likely make more than the majority of MLS players

The wage disparities in the league are crazy. A good deal of posters here likely make more than the majority of MLS players

Even after 20 years it is still a growing league. Salaries for the younger players are still low and a lot bolt for Europe when they get the chance. A lot of young US players playing in Norway, Netherlands, lower leagues in Germany etc, even Mexico: http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=players

The disparities didn't really exist until the DP rules came in with Beckham but teams still need to fit under the salary cap. They are making great progress though in the last 10 years especially with new stadiums all over the place, most teams now have a reserve team playing in the lower USL league and development academies for the younger players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a match

Best match iv seen for quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Headshot wrote: »
    What a match

Best match iv seen for quite a while

Really enjoyed it myself. loved Villa's first goal out of nowhere in a game where he had hardly got a pass.

Kaka just floats around the pitch was lovely to watch as well. larin getting a hatrick was madness consdering some of the rest of his play including decision making at times was dreadful. He is very raw but having a good season for his first in the MLS.

Pirlo looked his usual best when he came on his passing always finding feet.

St ledger looked poor to be honest also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll give this league one thing its seriously entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Drogba the latest to add his star billing to the MLS. Also saw Shaun wright phillips joined his brother at New York red bulls.

Advertisement