Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canyon (Grand canyon) mtb sizing

• 08-01-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭

Calling all Canyonero's.

Looking at ordering a Grand canyon or grand canyon slx and the canyon sizing tool is recommending a medium or 17.5 inch. That runs counter to every other site, which points me (at 5 11 and a half) towards "Large" or 19" to 20" bikes.

I ride a 55-56 virtual top tube road bike.

Would like to hear from anyone who rides a canyon and how the sizing works for them. :)

Edit - I think they're sizing yoke is out of whack, either that or I've my dimensions all wrong, but I just plugged in my data for a road bike and it's recommending a small for me. That's mental. I'd be a medium for definite and bordering on a large.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Go through the bike fit tool on Competitive Cyclist.

For mtb, the top tube length is most important. On my first mtb I went with the recommendation based on conventional inseam measurement and ended up with an 18" frame that I always struggled a bit on. Since then I've bought two Canyons (Nerve XC and Grand Canyon 29er), both with the smaller 16.5" frame, and the difference is huge. Way more balance and control on technical stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

for someone who's 180cm in height the size "L" frame is what you need..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    for someone who's 180cm in height the size "L" frame is what you need..

Yeah, I went to a shop today to sit on some stuff and I'm definitely looking at a 19 to 20 inch. Not the 17.5 canyon have me on. Reach is fine on medium but way too much seatpost required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yeah, I went to a shop today to sit on some stuff and I'm definitely looking at a 19 to 20 inch. Not the 17.5 canyon have me on. Reach is fine on medium but way too much seatpost required

I don't know a whole lot about mtb sizing but I;m same height as you. Had a 20" cube which was a little stretched and find my 19" a much better fit. I've also ridden an 18" without issue.

With an mtb I'd be going for the smaller of two sizes if unsure, just for ease of handling more than anything. Unlike a road bike your never in the same position for long and rides generally are of shorter duration.

3-4 hrs on a mtb is a proper spin and very few rides will be in excess of it. Most spins will probably be under 2hrs

I've given up with that canyon sizing calculator it had me on a xs or s road bike ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I know two lads who are your height and have the L size Canyon MTB HT frame, so you should be grand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I'm the same height as you and have a Grand Canyon 18.5", bought it 3 years ago so the geometry may have changed but I find the size is perfect. For comparison purposes I have a 58cm Canyon SLX Roadbike, fit is perfect, virtual top tube is 56cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Calling all Canyonero's.

Looking at ordering a Grand canyon or grand canyon slx and the canyon sizing tool is recommending a medium or 17.5 inch. That runs counter to every other site, which points me (at 5 11 and a half) towards "Large" or 19" to 20" bikes.

I ride a 55-56 virtual top tube road bike.

Would like to hear from anyone who rides a canyon and how the sizing works for them. :)

Edit - I think they're sizing yoke is out of whack, either that or I've my dimensions all wrong, but I just plugged in my data for a road bike and it's recommending a small for me. That's mental. I'd be a medium for definite and bordering on a large.

Hi, I'm same height just over 5'11" and ride a 2013 Canyon AL 8.9 Medium size (29er). I find it perfect. Previous bike was a 20" cube which was a bit big, ended up putting a shorter stem.
    You could get away with either medium or large depending on what you like. If you want a more compact fit with a good bit of seat post extended the medium would do or if you want a bit more room and slightly longer reach a large would do.
    Be carefull with the canyon sizing as if you look at the cheaper AL Canyon hardtails they have shorter reach and more up right position than the higher spec SLX. If your around the Ballyhouras at any stage PM me and you can try the medium for size

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

ADW1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm same height just over 5'11" and ride a 2013 Canyon AL 8.9 Medium size (29er). I find it perfect. Previous bike was a 20" cube which was a bit big, ended up putting a shorter stem.
    You could get away with either medium or large depending on what you like. If you want a more compact fit with a good bit of seat post extended the medium would do or if you want a bit more room and slightly longer reach a large would do.
    Be carefull with the canyon sizing as if you look at the cheaper AL Canyon hardtails they have shorter reach and more up right position than the higher spec SLX. If your around the Ballyhouras at any stage PM me and you can try the medium for size

forgot to say I ride a cube 58 road bike which is similar to a trek 56

Advertisement