Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it like to live in Farndreg Dundalk

Options
  • 08-01-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm thinking of buying a house in Farndreg, its one of the older houses, is it a good area? I'm not from the town so I don't know much about areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's an estate at the back of Cox's Demesne.
    It has some lovely people and some not very nice people.
    A bit like life in general.
    Not an area i'd feel safe walking around at night though.

Would you not be as well renting somewhere for a while before buying a house in a new town that you don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Would you not be as well renting somewhere for a while before buying a house in a new town that you don't know?

In fairness, the OP could be doing that already!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shark80

In fairness, the OP could be doing that already!

I live about 20mins away and although I'm in the town 2 times a day, I just know areas by general chat but no details. just hear this area & that area not good but no further details. and as far as I can see nearly every estate in Dundalk has a problem of some sort.
    don't think anywhere could be as bad as the area I live in at the minute. unfortunately I don't plan on interacting with neighbours no matter where I go, it's a case of lesson learned I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Shark80 wrote: »
    and as far as I can see nearly every estate in Dundalk has a problem of some sort.

Quite correct.

Nowhere is any where near perfect.

16 Is up for sale at the moment and 17 has just shifted. Why are two neighbours so keen to leave?

For the money a house there would cost, you may well find a similar home in a nicer area.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Quite correct.

16 Is up for sale at the moment and 17 has just shifted. Why are two neighbours so keen to leave?

For the money a house there would cost, you may well find a similar home in a nicer area.

I know when I googled the estate it mentioned deaths at those addresses so I'd say that's the reason for the house sales.

I know what you are saying about buying elsewhere but a nicer area doesn't mean nicer people living in that area!

I've talked to a few people the last few days about the area and found people who don't live in the area tell me to avoid yet they can't give me a reason as to why, yet people who live there or have close family there say it's ok a quiet place to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I lived in Beechmount Drive/Coxes right next to that estate for a good few years and never had one problem.In fact it was probably the quietest area in the whole of Coxes and Farndreg was exactly the same.
    From what i know those houses(in Farndreg) are excellent and you could really make a good home there.

Quietest area in the whole of Coxes. :pac:

Quietest area in the whole of Coxes. :pac:
    yup and despite your seemingly pre conceived idea that Coxes is some sort of a war zone it isnt.I also previously lived in Drive 2 in MM and that too was an excellent place to live in.A sister of mine lives in a €250k home in Dromiskin and has hardly any peace at all out there as the local teens in that area are a really wild bunch.

yup and despite your seemingly pre conceived idea that Coxes is some sort of a war zone it isnt.I also previously lived in Drive 2 in MM and that too was an excellent place to live in.A sister of mine lives in a €250k home in Dromiskin and has hardly any peace at all out there as the local teens in that area are a really wild bunch.

exactly my point I live in a lovely country estate & there's nothing but hassle with neighbours!

• Advertisement

I was born in Coxes and live 20 yards from it, so good luck with the Holier-than-Thou stuff. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

One of the best estates in Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

One of the best estates in Dundalk

Nothing wrong with the estate but you're stretching it a bit there. There are many estates much better but also more expensive.

I was born in Coxes and live 20 yards from it, so good luck with the Holier-than-Thou stuff. :)
    I think i've been honest and forthright in my answers and have posted well balanced replies to the op's question.And i don't believe in holy btw.

"I was born in Coxes and live 20 yards from it" ArdEassmuin? Lower Coxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

"I was born in Coxes and live 20 yards from it" ArdEassmuin? Lower Coxes

Excuse me! It's Upper Cox's, not Lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Excuse me! It's Upper Cox's, not Lower.

That's right - Ard Easmuinn = Upper Cox's. And/or Cox's Demesne = Iseall Easmuinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Beechmount and proud! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dundalkgirl15

MugMugs wrote: »
    Quite correct.

I think maybe you should do better research and maybe you would see that the owner of 17 Farndreg died in October, so two neighbours are not very keen to leave.

Also please do tell me where are the nicer areas for the money you would pay for a house in Farndreg ??

I have lived all over Dundalk and can tell you that Farndreg is a nice quite area.
    Yes it in the middle of coxes but it is away from any trouble.

It has its perks, close to town center, close to motor ways for Dublin/Newry/Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Here we go..... Offended resident takes exception to comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

The Dregs can give out all they want tbh. The area of coxes and beechmount has been quiet this last 10 years. Why move into the back of a council estate to give out? They can suck the left one tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

I think maybe you should do better research and maybe you would see that the owner of 17 Farndreg died in October, so two neighbours are not very keen to leave.

Also please do tell me where are the nicer areas for the money you would pay for a house in Farndreg ??

I have lived all over Dundalk and can tell you that Farndreg is a nice quite area.
    Yes it in the middle of coxes but it is away from any trouble.

It has its perks, close to town center, close to motor ways for Dublin/Newry/Belfast

I can agree its a quite nice area. The problem is you have to walk through Coxes to get there. And that is not a pleasant thing at night.

Advertisement