Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Night in Carlow

Options
  • 08-01-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,
    Myself and my boyfriend are heading up to Carlow on a Saturday night at the end of Jan. Can anyone recommend a good place to eat (maybe chinese or somewhere with an early bird menu) and also the best pub? We are early thirties, like a bit of music and a late drink.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Chinese - Joes or the Lotus. These are both within waddling distance of the pubs if you've a full belly. There are more but they're much further out of town.
    There is also Lemongrass which is more pan-Asian than Chinese.

Teach Dolman bar/restaurant is good for traditional fare, and is a nice pub too. Might have a band or DJ playing from 9 or 10pm.

Popular late bars (2am) would be the Med bar on Tullow St opposite AIB bank, The Barracks also near AIB, and the Dinn Rí. The Med doesn't do live music but has a DJ. Not sure about the Barracks but the Dinn Rí has live music most Sats. http://www.dinnri.com/index.php/events/

There's also a brasserie attached next door to the Med bar but I've never been so can't advise.
    The décor in the restaurant in the Seven Oaks Hotel may be dated I've had some lovely standard food there.

If you fancy a tapas winebar there's Mimosa. It's small so check if you need to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 melisswhel

Thanks for all the info slimjimmc. Its great!

Melissa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Mimosa, best in town by a country mile. Generally jammers by 8 so get there before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

For food I'd agree with Mimosa, and The Avenue and Lennons are great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'd highly recommend Smoque in the Haymarket.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend Smoque in the Haymarket.

Cheers for that, will definitely be checking that out so .... Smoque!!

Went to Smoque!! at the weekend and I have to see it was brilliant, food was as good as Mimosa as well. Its in a really nice part of town too, I don't get over to that side much and its a really nice little square. Nancys whiskeys is a really nice pub next door too.

I love being in a place and all you can hear is atmosphere, just the sound of people talking and laughing, great night and we'll definitely be back.

logo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Nancy Whiskies is not a pub that I would like to go into. It did or maybe had a bad reputation for rough behaviour. Maybe things have changed?

verywell wrote: »
    Nancy Whiskies is not a pub that I would like to go into. It did or maybe had a bad reputation for rough behaviour. Maybe things have changed?

Yeah? To be honest I knew nothing of it before that night so had nothing to go on, but we didn't have any problem at all, nor did any of us notice anything that you might think was dodgy. I wasn't really looking to see anything either though, if you know what I mean, we were just chatting in our group. Can't fault it, glad I didn't know of that before now as I might have been looking for negatives when going in there.

Maybe things have changed? Maybe they have :)

Advertisement