Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike storage on apartment balcony!!

• 08-01-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys, need some help and advice here please...I keep my road bike which was expensive on my balcony (3rd floor) under a bike cover but I would like something a bit more protective against the winter weather/elements rain/frost etc for my bike! Balcony is not that big so am looking for something preferably good strong plastic like what bins are made from that's approx 5.5 ft long by 2ft wide as any bigger and it would take up too much space on my balcony and only be in my way so any advice or ideas where I could get like a bike locker/storage kind of thing and any idea of prices greatly appreciated!! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This >>> Argos outdoor storage unit but it's expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

A friend used a tarpaulin originally sold as a garden furniture protector. She said it's heavy enough. Mine, bought at the bike store, is useless, it flies away with the wind, despite being tied at the bottom. Since I cannot cycle at the moment for health reasons, I am planning to wrap the bike tightly in food wrap. I found 100m rolls that should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

bcun1969 wrote: »
    Hi guys, need some help and advice here please...I keep my road bike which was expensive on my balcony (3rd floor) under a bike cover but I would like something a bit more protective against the winter weather/elements rain/frost etc for my bike! Balcony is not that big so am looking for something preferably good strong plastic like what bins are made from that's approx 5.5 ft long by 2ft wide as any bigger and it would take up too much space on my balcony and only be in my way so any advice or ideas where I could get like a bike locker/storage kind of thing and any idea of prices greatly appreciated!! Cheers!

Just stick with a bike cover, if the one you have is flimsy get a motorbike one. Oxford stormex or the like, very heavy duty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bcun1969

Just stick with a bike cover, if the one you have is flimsy get a motorbike one. Oxford stormex or the like, very heavy duty

Thanks the Red Baron I might just have to do that actually,the bike cover I have is an Oxford cover and pretty decent already but just thought something else might protect the bike a bit better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Nanazolie wrote: »
    A friend used a tarpaulin originally sold as a garden furniture protector. She said it's heavy enough. Mine, bought at the bike store, is useless, it flies away with the wind, despite being tied at the bottom. Since I cannot cycle at the moment for health reasons, I am planning to wrap the bike tightly in food wrap. I found 100m rolls that should do the job

I would be wary of the food wrap option. Chances of getting it entirely waterproof are slim and you'll end up with mildewed bartape and corrosion elsewhere as water inevitably gets in. The bike would be better off either covered against rain but with air circulation or hermetically sealed in a heavy bag with a silica gel de-hydrator kit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Also I don't know what your frame is made of but condensation will build up inside the film which = rusty death for steel. At least put a bed sheet or something in-between the film and bike, or just get a motorbike one. I have used a motorbike one and it was fine, got a bit battered taking it on and off everyday but if just left on fine. If you're not using the bike it might still be worth putting a sheet under the cover or leaving an air hole as _Cdaly says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Also think about locking it to the balcony itself. I've seen a few expensive bikes stolen from 3rd, 4th & 5th storey balconies in the last few years. The mind boggles how the scum manage to climb the balconies but I've witnessed it with my own two eyes. At the very least make sure your insurance will cover the bike on the balcony.

Vikings wrote: »
    Also think about locking it to the balcony itself. I've seen a few expensive bikes stolen from 3rd, 4th & 5th storey balconies in the last few years. The mind boggles how the scum manage to climb the balconies but I've witnessed it with my own two eyes. At the very least make sure your insurance will cover the bike on the balcony.

Yea thanks,I will most probably just have to keep it covered with the Oxford cover that I have already over it and as regards locking it to balcony I already do that too coz I know scumbags will still try to steal it no matter how high up your balcony is it would seem but thanks for the advice anyway!!

• Advertisement

Yea thanks,I will most probably just have to keep it covered with the Oxford cover that I have already over it and as regards locking it to balcony I already do that too coz I know scumbags will still try to steal it no matter how high up your balcony is it would seem but thanks for the advice anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭The Ging and I

Perhaps there is somewhere in the apartment you can get a hook in the ceiling and hang the bike from its front wheel ?
    You would be surprised how space efficient this is.

Advertisement