Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Gur pike fishing

Options
  • 08-01-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

anyone know any good spots for pike fishing on lough gur.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hunter456 wrote: »
    anyone know any good spots for pike fishing on lough gur.

Due to heavy growth on the margins, it is only fishable from a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

Id love to rake out a spot I lough gur get a clear spot on the bottom the rudd are HUGE in there I can only imagine the pike but its hard to fish with such a weedy bottom id say beside the hill might be your best bet but it might be flooded this time of year around that side...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joeyturbo

The rudd are massive mate i had a few big ones out over the summer with a few nice sized perch. The pike seem to be feedin pretty near to the bank aswell. My dad had a few big ones out of there a good 15years ago now. There a lake over towards croom think its called torihill or sumthin like that. Use to hold pike competitions so im guessin theres big ones in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

joeyturbo wrote: »
    The rudd are massive mate i had a few big ones out over the summer with a few nice sized perch. The pike seem to be feedin pretty near to the bank aswell. My dad had a few big ones out of there a good 15years ago now. There a lake over towards croom think its called torihill or sumthin like that. Use to hold pike competitions so im guessin theres big ones in there.

what part of the lake is best fish-able would you say cheer for replying you have made my hope grow for fishing for pike on lough gur.

yea hunter thats the one I was tellin ya about in croom

• Advertisement

what part of the lake is best fish-able would you say cheer for replying you have made my hope grow for fishing for pike on lough gur.

Iv seen pike get pulled out from the front of the lake just befor it gets dark on a spinner. I fish on the other side as u wont get many people over there. There defo in there as iv seen them. Just a matter of puttin in the hours really

have you tried deadbaits in there ?

db97 wrote: »
    have you tried deadbaits in there ?

Nar mate only had maggots on me an spinners. Well worth tryin dead baits tho

I think ill give it a bash one of the days but dont fancy been around the carpark can you go all around the lake by the hill.?

I think ill give it a bash one of the days but dont fancy been around the carpark can you go all around the lake by the hill.?

Yeah u can man. I always go over to the other side. Plenty of movement over there aswell. Only thing is its a shallow lake

• Advertisement

nice one man ill suss it out

nice one man ill suss it out

Yeah do mate, theres normally a bunch of 3 or 4 old fellas there in the afternoon thats been goin there for years. They will know whats in there if you ask them. I might even pop out there my self as im only over the road from there

Yeah do mate, theres normally a bunch of 3 or 4 old fellas there in the afternoon thats been goin there for years. They will know whats in there if you ask them. I might even pop out there my self as im only over the road from there

am my self might give it a try soon.

Iv seen pike get pulled out from the front of the lake just befor it gets dark on a spinner. I fish on the other side as u wont get many people over there. There defo in there as iv seen them. Just a matter of puttin in the hours really

when was the last time you seen a pike being caught out of lough gur.

when was the last time you seen a pike being caught out of lough gur.

End of september of 2014 caught on a spinner from the carpark side

End of september of 2014 caught on a spinner from the carpark side

cheers dude was he any big, might up during the week before the trout season kicks off.

cheers dude was he any big, might up during the week before the trout season kicks off.

Nar was only a jack mate there defo in there tho. Im gonna hit it once the weather gets a bit warmer

whats the snags like up there, im mainly a game fisher but looking to get back into the pike fishing.

whats the snags like up there, im mainly a game fisher but looking to get back into the pike fishing.

Shallow lake mate with plenty of weed haha theres a few opens tho. If u have wadders take them an walk around to the other side

If uv a fly rod try a few flys aswell mate. Caught two nice big rudd on flys there a few years ago. Well worth a go

• Advertisement

cheers man great help well delighted with that.

Advertisement