Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching practice tips

• 08-01-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm starting TP next month and have 3rd class. Any ideas for themes, or what would be nice to do? What are that age group into? Any particular film/movies/tv programmes that both boys and girls like?

Any idea of what basic materials I should have? What should I be finding out off the teacher before hand?

Any other tips, please share. Website etc. My first time!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from postgraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I'm starting TP next month and have 3rd class. Any ideas for themes, or what would be nice to do? What are that age group into? Any particular film/movies/tv programmes that both boys and girls like?

Any idea of what basic materials I should have? What should I be finding out off the teacher before hand?

Any other tips, please share. Website etc. My first time!!

The class teacher will be the best person to ask the questions in your first paragraph as no two classes are the same. David Walliams is great for that age group, and Roald Dahl usually goes down well.
    You could base your theme around their local area. English: write poems, letters etc to a penpal (even better if you can set up an exchange with one of your classmates) maths:time -bus timetables in the area, sese:mapping, looking at local plants or minibeasts, enquiry into the history of the school or a local landmark, art:construction, religion:the school patron saint.
    In terms of materials, permanent markers, a2 paper for charts, lollipop sticks (check pinterest for their many uses) envelopes for easy distribution of instruction cards etc, few crosswords and worksheets for early finishers. Plenty of stickers and small rewards like colouring books or pencils. TP is pricey :-(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you been to meet with the class teacher? Do you know if there are children with special need in that class and if so how do you plan to differentiate for them? Will you be able to use the school photocopier? Is there a visualiser and/or an interactive whiteboard? Can you use the computers, presuming there are some in the room?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have work ready for early finishers. Find out if children go out to the Learning Support teacher and if so at what time. What day do they do PE and is there a hall timetable (assuming there IS a hall

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bookseller2015

Redser87 wrote: »
    The class teacher will be the best person to ask the questions in your first paragraph as no two classes are the same. David Walliams is great for that age group, and Roald Dahl usually goes down well.
    You could base your theme around their local area. English: write poems, letters etc to a penpal (even better if you can set up an exchange with one of your classmates) maths:time -bus timetables in the area, sese:mapping, looking at local plants or minibeasts, enquiry into the history of the school or a local landmark, art:construction, religion:the school patron saint.
    In terms of materials, permanent markers, a2 paper for charts, lollipop sticks (check pinterest for their many uses) envelopes for easy distribution of instruction cards etc, few crosswords and worksheets for early finishers. Plenty of stickers and small rewards like colouring books or pencils. TP is pricey :-(

Thank you very much. Do you recommend any affordable shops to head to?

Where is cheapest to buy A2 paper/card and lollipop sticks and the likes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Thank you very much. Do you recommend any affordable shops to head to?

Where is cheapest to buy A2 paper/card and lollipop sticks and the likes?

Dealz

Advertisement