Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*SNIP* warns of future attacks if Muhammad is mocked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

they be bat sh1t crazy ... I dunno folks. where we headed ...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Strongly hoping for a south park episode dedicated to all of this bullsh!t, and if they do do one I hope it's the most offensive episode to date and calls out all the stupid sh!t the extremists believe and do

"Don't make fun of my made up God or I will kill real, existing people" - who the fuk was logic?

south park did a cartoon of mohammed years ago, in the super best friends episode. he had the power of fire.

then they did another one after the danish cartoon shenanigans when he was blocked out, unless he wore a dinosaur suit or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Don't think we should allow them air time. Anyone given the right to live in Ireland should respect the social norms. Otherwise - out the way ya came in if ya don't like it.

Well done Miriam!

Miriam for Minister for Justice. More b**ls than any of the former ones we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mr67stag

Why oh why do we tolerate these muslim facists.
    If these people come to the west they should accept our freedom of speech and expression.
    This man likened the french killings to crimes carried out by french in mali on prime time.
    How the fu k can he be a vocal leader of any right minded thinking people.
    If We go to saudi arabia or the likes we very much respect the law there,big time.
    Not to put a fine a point on it ,if you dont like freedom fu k off back home and enjoy your sharia state law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

seanaway wrote: »
    Don't think we should allow them air time.

Haha and you're probably one of the loons bleating about free speech. You guys crack me up :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Miriam O'Callaghan just put it to Selim that he wants to live in this country but not under certain laws.

He said he was quite happy to employ Irish law if possible and that's what got him in to trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

seamus wrote: »
    "Can this paper publish mockery images of the Holocaust? Can they do that?"

I'm pretty sure they can, they wouldn't be breaking any laws.

This is the same guy who believes that Irish schools should adopt Sharia law, he's an idiot. The muslim community in Ireland should be doing their best to distance themselves from his nonsense.

Why would they distance themselves from him though ?

I'd imagine the vast vast majority agree with him !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Islam is a cancer, a disease of the mind. It's worse than Catholicism and that takes some doing.

Haha and you're probably one of the loons bleating about free speech. You guys crack me up :D:D
    Fair point- ya got me there . But I didn't say he shouldn't be allowed to speak - just don't think he should be allowed to spout his venom on publicly funded TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

drumswan wrote: »
    Islam is a cancer, a disease of the mind. It's worse than Catholicism and that takes some doing.

My original comment was satire to show up the Blaspheme law and was done to support free speech such as yours - but your comment is just stupid. I will not respond to your retort. good bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

You seem to equate freedom of speech with being invited on television ? Are you serious ?

the_monkey wrote: »
    Why would they distance themselves from him though ?

I'd imagine the vast vast majority agree with him !

Nah. I don't believe that. I think most Muslims are like most Christians, Jews, Buddists etc... average decent people trying to make ends meet.

It's the loopers in the extreme wings that always cause the trouble - just like in politics.

Careful, most bigots like you end up killing themselves through self-hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Piliger wrote: »
    You seem to equate freedom of speech with being invited on television ? Are you serious ?
    Freedom of speech is most useful on occasions such as tonight. Apart from the fact that those Muslim gentlemen will likely never listen to reason or logic which goes against their religion. But talking is fun. And good. Better than killing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Don't think we should allow them air time. Anyone given the right to live in Ireland should respect the social norms. Otherwise - out the way ya came in if ya don't like it.

Well done Miriam!

Miriam for Minister for Justice. More b**ls than any of the former ones we've had.

He has the right to freely express his convictions. Kicking someone out of a country for not conforming to the general opinion isn't that far from the attitude of the religious extremists.

The first fella at least spoke generally courteously, clearly criticised the attacks, calling it an atrocity, and said that religion does not justify violence. The second fella should not be left on, however. And if I were cynical, I'd say that RTÉ pulled a tabloid-esque move to get some mentalist ranter on just to get people talking about the station. I'd expect the likes of Prime Time to have a better vetting process than to end up with people like that.

K4t wrote: »
    Freedom of speech is most useful on occasions such as tonight. Apart from the fact that those Muslim gentlemen will likely never listen to reason or logic which goes against their religion. But talking is fun. And good. Better than killing anyway.

Yes it is. But it's nothing to do with freedom of speech.

It certainly is and yes it does !

K4t wrote: »
    Better than killing anyway.

Lets hope Obama/Cameron/Netanyahu think about that before murdering their next batch of Muslim peasants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Piliger wrote: »
    Yes it is. But it's nothing to do with freedom of speech.
    Not inviting him on television tonight would be more harmful than good.

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    He has the right to freely express his convictions. Kicking someone out of a country for not conforming to the general opinion isn't that far from the attitude of the religious extremists.

The first fella at least spoke generally courteously, clearly criticised the attacks, calling it an atrocity, and said that religion does not justify violence. The second fella should not be left on, however. And if I were cynical, I'd say that RTÉ pulled a tabloid-esque move to get some mentalist ranter on just to get people talking about the station. I'd expect the likes of Prime Time to have a better vetting process than to end up with people like that.

Hang on. Did you just say "He has the right to freely express his convictions."

Followed swiftly by "The second fella should not be left on, however."

How does that argument work without being contradictory, pray tell.

As for " Kicking someone out of a country for not conforming to the general opinion..."

It's not about opinion, it's about social norms of the country people *chose* to come to.

If you went to Spain and ended up in a hotel you really hated...what would you do? Leave it maybe? Or say to yourself, 'ya know, I think Ill stay and make this place work the way I want it to be.'

See?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I remember back in 2005 when the the Danish Muhammad cartoon was published and there was uproar in the Muslim world. I happened to be on Camden St when I noticed a notice in a shop run by Muslim's that said we don't sell Danish products in here. I found this ironic since the 2 biggest Danish exports are bacon and Carlsberg, products Muslim's would not be buying.

I found the sign xenophobic and as we were in the EU we can't stop selling other EU countries goods. I emailed the Evening Herald and they got back to me saying they would look into. Of course nothing was done as they did not want to offend any Muslim's. I also contacted the National Consumer Agency and they also did nothing. Will we see shops in Dublin run by Muslim's with signs in the window saying we don't sell French products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lets hope Obama/Cameron/Netanyahu think about that before murdering their next batch of Muslim peasants.

True but what about the Muslims killing the Muslim ... How did you put it 'peasants'

Nothing to say about the hundreds murdered today by fellow Muslims. Or is it just another USA rant...

Zzzzx

Isn't there a mid-east forum for this stuff??

Hang on. Did you just say "He has the right to freely express his convictions."

Followed swiftly by "The second fella should not be left on, however."

How does that argument work without being contradictory, pray tell.

They both have the right to an opinion. That right does not, however, extend to being given an audience on national television. It's really not that hard to understand.
    As for " Kicking someone out of a country for not conforming to the general opinion..."

It's not about opinion, it's about social norms of the country people *chose* to come to.
    It's perfectly possible to come to a country, like most things about it but remain critical about other parts. The argument that "they should all go live somewhere else" for anyone offering criticism is beyond tiresome.

If you went to Spain and ended up in a hotel you really hated...what would you do? Leave it maybe? Or say to yourself, 'ya know, I think Ill stay and make this place work the way I want it to be.'

See?
    Did he ever say that he hates Ireland? Could you quote him on that? Thanks.

no_shoes wrote: »
    most muslims are much more religously devout than most christians

look at the charechter of most christian countries and then compare them to most islamic countries

turkey is probably thee most secular islamic country

Are you equating devout with radical?

The character of the country is neither here nor there in this. We are talking about people not states. But as you bring it up, Let's look at the 'devout' people in these states. Iran, Saudi, Yemen, Pakistan, No choice really but to be 'devout' - at least outwardly because if you don't, well let's say you're for the chop.

Do not believe all you see of these so called devout countries. They are run by religious dictators.

• Advertisement

They both have the right to an opinion. That right does not, however, extend to being given an audience on national television. It's really not that hard to understand.

It's perfectly possible to come to a country, like most things about it but remain critical about other parts. The argument that "they should all go live somewhere else" for anyone offering criticism is beyond tiresome.

Did he ever say that he hates Ireland? Could you quote him on that? Thanks.

Where did i say he said he hates Ireland?

Where did i say he said he hates Ireland?

You gave an analogy of a Spanish hotel that I lived in but "really hated". A pretty silly and irrelevant analogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I still can't believe we have this law, this country really is stupid at times. :mad:

You gave an analogy of a Spanish hotel that I lived in but "really hated". A pretty stupid and irrelevant analogy.

Sorry. I seem to have rattled your cage with that one.

Let's substitute 'disagreed with how it was being run'

That any better or less stupid?

As for the 'tiresome' comment earlier, there is nothing more tiresome than pseudo liberal muticultural tyrants spouting off about equality - and then using terms like 'stupid and irrelevant' to describe a perfectly suitable analogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In fairness to Ali Selim, the first thing he did was condemn the attack and said the terrorists don't represent Islam or Muslims.
    Then pretty much asked for the pictures not to be replicated for the sake of not causing pointless offence to Muslims

There's a bit of hysteria here whipping up around his comments and taking a lot of stuff out of context.

He's a conservative old fool in the same vein as John Waters or Dana, but I don't think he's a terrorist supporting monster

Perhaps,perhaps......perhaps....however it is always of value to listen to what the silvery tongue is capable of.....this is,I think,a very illuminating DCU interview of Imam Hussein Hawalla,with Dr Selim acting as "Interpreter"...there are some VERY pertinent questions asked......(Full Marks to DCU Students for asking them)

http://www4.dcu.ie/talkingheads/sheik_hussein_halawa.shtml

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

oh please , do you think those countries are the way they are simply due to the kind of leaders they have

if that were the case , at least one muslim nation would surely end up with a leader who was similar in style to the PM of denmark ?

countries are shaped by the charechter of the people that make up their population

Think you might have found the answer to this in your own earlier post. Turkey did just that. Ataturk was way ahead of the pack. Alas the pack have now cowed to the religious police and brainwashers.

I speak form experience by the way - not just newsfeeds and sound bites.

Sisko wrote: »
    I still can't believe we have this law, this country really is stupid at times. :mad:

We have it because we have politicians and others who like to think they are liberal and multicultural.

In fact, they know bugger all about either and go around trying to tell everyone we should copy the mistakes made by others. Then they call people ignorant if they express opinions which don't reflect their own new found 'beliefs'.

They made a mess of Britain with all that clap trap - as can be witnessed by the loony on rte tonight.

Sorry. I seem to have rattled your cage with that one.

Not at all, but if it makes you think you've won a little victory, then I'm happy to let you have that one.

Let's substitute 'disagreed with how it was being run'

That any better or less stupid?

Slightly less so, yes. Is my employment dependent on living in this hotel? Because it would be a lot harder to leave, if it did. I quite like my job.
    As for the 'tiresome' comment earlier, there is nothing more tiresome than pseudo liberal muticultural tyrants spouting off about equality - and then using terms like 'stupid and irrelevant' to describe a perfectly suitable analogy.

Haha, what a lovely description. You seem to have rattled your own cage.

Just been reading the news reports from around the world.
    Anyone here seen any reports of people in the streets in any muslim country showing solidarity for France?

Genuine question here and I'm NOT trying to make a point other than there were/are plenty of people on the streets supporting Palestinians, Iraqies, Syrians etc... in Paris and other western cities.

Just wondered if there is any reciprocation of solidarity. Hope so because it will be a real negative if there haven't been any.

And yes there were statements from Arab League leaders etc... but I'm talking about people on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does anyone really know what Mohammed looks like?

so ataturk was similar in outlook to the current or former PM,s of one of the scandanavian countries

My point was the advanced views held by Ataturk would have made him the equivalent in his time - almost a hundred years ago now.

He wears a trench coat and drives a white van with lollipops in the glove compartment

Yeah, he was in a Danish mag there a while back. Beard and all that.

Yeah, he was in a Danish mag there a while back. Beard and all that.

Bomb for a turban

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bit of an ugly ****er. Doesn't look good in pictures apparently, even Muslims are disgusted when they look at pictures of his mug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Apparently he had an Amish Beard

Not at all, but if it makes you think you've won a little victory, then I'm happy to let you have that one.

Slightly less so, yes. Is my employment dependent on living in this hotel? Because it would be a lot harder to leave, if it did. I quite like my job.

Haha, what a lovely description. You seem to have rattled your own cage.

I'll leave you to your childish pleasures so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

We have it because we have politicians and others who like to think they are liberal and multicultural.

In fact, they know bugger all about either and go around trying to tell everyone we should copy the mistakes made by others. Then they call people ignorant if they express opinions which don't reflect their own new found 'beliefs'.

They made a mess of Britain with all that clap trap - as can be witnessed by the loony on rte tonight.

Nope, cant blame it on the liberals this time. It was to do with the constitution. Hence why the law is a bit half assed and difficult to enforce.

It requires a referendum before we can get rid of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So many powerful beings who don't seem capable of fighting their own battles when insulted or blasphemed against. You'd swear to god the fuvkers arent there at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

We need to bring back the Crusades to sort out the extremists an what not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Like Gary Glitter but a bit brown with a bushy beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Does he look like a bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Does he look like a bitch?
    What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

KungPao wrote: »
    What?

You've obviously never seen Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction Best Scene - Does He Look Like a Bit…: http://youtu.be/9_-wndK57Ls

• Advertisement

batnolan wrote: »
    Dermot Ahern you absolute pillock

Why?

Advertisement