Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

Haha Catdog I think that rant was a way for me to convince myself that things were going to be okay!!! Lol!!!

Suppose you could say I have drawn inspiration from "don't stop believing" by journey!! i seem to have that song on repeat these days.....lol anybody have any other suggestions on particular motivating songs?!?could do with a wee change ..

Heroes by Alesso :) good wee running tune and cause we're gonna be heroes someday! And the script superheroes...every day every hour turn the pain into power! (Excuse my geekiness)

ps that video is amazing, my fitness instructor sent me it once before my fitness in the last campaign, gives me goosebumps every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭psnihopeful

QueenP wrote: »
    Heroes by Alesso :) good wee running tune and cause we're gonna be heroes someday! And the script superheroes...every day every hour turn the pain into power! (Excuse my geekiness)

ps that video is amazing, my fitness instructor sent me it once before my fitness in the last campaign, gives me goosebumps every time.

Ahh love it queenP!!! I really think that good tunes can drive you on and make u want to go out and do something !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sophiekoby

Got my letter yesterday :(

sophiekoby wrote: »
    Got my letter yesterday :(

So did I I showed the parentals and they said it was nicely worded and that it was nice of them to let us know it could be a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Anyone else feel a bit of pressure is off at the minute since the letters came out? Last week for example all I could think about was when the vetting forms or PCA letters would come out. Now I feel a bit more relaxed knowing we've got a bit of a break. Looking forward to it starting up again but I guess there is no point worrying at the moment when nothing can be done.

• Advertisement

fish2690 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel a bit of pressure is off at the minute since the letters came out? Last week for example all I could think about was when the vetting forms or PCA letters would come out. Now I feel a bit more relaxed knowing we've got a bit of a break. Looking forward to it starting up again but I guess there is no point worrying at the moment when nothing can be done.

I think it is a blessing in disguise tbh. I really hope I can get to the level of fitness required to pass the pca now that we have extra time.

I think it is a blessing in disguise tbh. I really hope I can get to the level of fitness required to pass the pca now that we have extra time.

I agree, time to get fit and time to finish my degree :) everything happens for a reason even if we dunno what it is at the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Definitely keep the heads up. In 2010 loads of people wanting to apply or coming out of uni and looking to apply were hit by a 4 year recruitment freeze!trust me a few months will seem like nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sophiekoby

So did I I showed the parentals and they said it was nicely worded and that it was nice of them to let us know it could be a while.

Yes it definately was nice to let us know instead of leaving us hanging for months but can't help feeling a bit disheartened after spending so long getting psyched up lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Yeah it seems those in the 2nd campaign are being kept informed so feed back must have got back to the recruitment team about leaving people in the dark for so long! I would say once the financial year comes about there will be vetting forms sent out!

I know someone who went for it in 2010 passed all the phases and got a letter saying they were not taking on anyone, so at least its not that!

Means you guys have longer to hit the roads and get fit!

• Advertisement

I agree, time to get fit and time to finish my degree :) everything happens for a reason even if we dunno what it is at the time :)

I'm with you on the degree part!!! Are we mad bringing extra stress on ourselves?!?! Lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

I was one of those disheartened souls back in 2010, think Highbury and Goonerdee were too? Gee22 was definitely.

I'm with you on the degree part!!! Are we mad bringing extra stress on ourselves?!?! Lol!!

Lol yes we are!! I wouldn't be doing this degree of they hadn't have stalled recruitment a few years ago! I've just been killing time doing it lol. Awh well coulda spent my time doing worse things haha although I am getting a little tired of good old Harvard referencing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hereshoping1

Hey guys been reading a lot
    Of your posts and threads lately! I used to read these quite a lot when I was applying at the time of the Patten scheme which ended its run in 2011.

I don't want to Seem disheartening to you guys but just honest and being optimistic is always a good thing.

In 2011 the PSNI budget was cut the same as what has happened recently and in fact being in that situation back then it's almost an identical situation. Guys I was fully vetted and medical etc passed and ready to start training anytime and i got the same letter then as many of you are getting now even though I had gotten that far on!
    It said that due to financial uncertainty bare with them at this time etc etc etc and like many of you I was hopeful that even though they were still taking in one or two final squads after that letter I would maybe get 'thebcall' as an Insider informed that my vetting would last 24 months!

The only positive thing I can say that It was only frozen until 2013 which was earlier than planned so 2 years rather than 4-5. What I have also heard from inside that yes they got some funding back 20m but that will be used to fund existing policing strains such as the last of this recruitment. Existing overtime etc

My best mate is in the Same situation as you guys and I warned him of this at the time of the latest budget cuts and he wouldn't belive me until he got the letter! Yes be hopeful guys but defiantly to not hang around and wait for this too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Not what I wanted to hear!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Is it only campaign 2 that have received these letters?

Those left in campaign 1 still in with a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

I think the difference is now that in 2010 the psni was looking to reduce the number of officers and we're happy to not recruit anet retirements reduce the numbers. They can't let that happen for another 3 years of a freeze for example as the service would fall below operational levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Personally, I remain hopeful.

I think the next policing board meeting will outline where the additional funding will be spent.

All news reports have stated that the additional money will enable them to continue on with recruitment.

Lol yes we are!! I wouldn't be doing this degree of they hadn't have stalled recruitment a few years ago! I've just been killing time doing it lol. Awh well coulda spent my time doing worse things haha although I am getting a little tired of good old Harvard referencing lol

Haha I know I'm doing a degree I've no intention of doing anything with so here's hoping I don't need to put it to use!!! Lol!!!!

Don't talk to me about referencing... Such a pointless exercise causing unnecessary stress if U ask me ! Lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

pb82 wrote: »
    Is it only campaign 2 that have received these letters?

Those left in campaign 1 still in with a chance?

Yeah man, as far as I'm aware nobody in campaign 1 has recieved one (obviously excluding those who are in both). Hoping we are still in with a chance, but only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Trust me this is gonna be different from 2010, my first application was last year for 1309 so I'm not sure what the score was in 2010 but I know people had all but to get a call and instead they said funding was not available for recruitment, but it is different times from then, no new blood for 3 years and dissident activity has surged, the previous chief was brought in as a peace time chief, and unfortunately that is not the case and never really was the case.

Security personnel since then have been killed and there doesn't seem to be any slowing down in terrorist activity. We have had flag issues and the level of sickness that has occurred due to injuries from violence and burn out is through the roof.

We're under a different chief con who has reiterated that maintaining operational resilience is a must and to continue that means recruiting, bear in mind they had wanted to open a 3rd campaign by now for another 378 and as said before all media reports has said this will allow recruitment to continue. I know this letter had thrown us a bit of a curve ball, but I believe this was done in advance as in this was gonna come out no matter what and was sent out as a precautionary and to keep us in the loop.

It's similar to campaign 1, right now they are trying to save as much from this year's budget, they will put forward the top scoring percentile to maintain the recruitment flow, again this is all what I've been told as I had panicked when I heard all this and until I got my letter and spoke to people in the job did I get a sense of okay this Isn't as bad at first feared. I believe there will be a few people who will say sod this and forget about it so numbers will fall from the merit list as they naturally would. Again just keep training folks, there will be loads of talk about it and rumours and what if's.

This is the card we've been dealt it allows us more time to prepare and I firmly believe they will continue as originally planned, they will keep note of those retiring as I have been told there is a high number who are now at their 3 weeks notice, not that everyone will retire straight away but they will keep note on retirements. Again this is my tuppence worth on it and from what I have been told from reliable sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

ZeGerman wrote: »
    I was one of those disheartened souls back in 2010, think Highbury and Goonerdee were too? Gee22 was definitely.

I was, I am hopeful by the way the letter is worded. But, even if the full quota is taken being in the very low 60s, I will be fighting for the last few places I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

You and me both lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31030993

http://m.u.tv/news/New-PSNI-command-structure-revealed/16b1f286-48a0-417d-be02-0c0912ae6af8

Some news reports I was reading there folks if anyone is interested, just on the new service delivery model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Just came across a sheet provided by Deloitte before leaving the assessment centre.

Indicative Timelines:

Sep-Nov = Assessment Centre
    Dec 2014 onwards = Phased processing of candidates according to merit list. Including; online learning, Medical, Vetting and PCA
    Jan/ Feb 2015 = Induction Weekend + Training Commences

Somehow, I think it's a bit far removed from reality. Made me laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Just to throw a bit of optimism in the mix - the quote below from the budget report would seem to confirm the Chief Con will continue recruitment throughout 2015/16.
    I am happy to be able to allocate £20 million. It is not all that the Chief Constable was looking for — I think he was looking for closer to £27 million or £28 million — but he has assured me that it will allow him to continue with his plans for police recruitment next year and to ensure that some of the worst effects of reductions on the policing budget and how it affects people and public safety will certainly be lessened considerably.
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rezone

Any word on anyone at all receiving PCA invites yet?

Anybody else feel like we're eagirly waiting from date to date as in, our results then the budget announcement and now the policing board meeting Lol, few days to go hopefully something will be discussed then about recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Anybody else feel like we're eagirly waiting from date to date as in, our results then the budget announcement and now the policing board meeting Lol, few days to go hopefully something will be discussed then about recruitment.

Yes right here. Wait after wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

I am! I'll be watching the policing board meeting live on you-tube because I don't think I could wait until the news that night to hear what was said! Fingers crossed they'll be recruiting and taking a high number of recruits on to give most of us a good chance!

Advertisement