Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

When is the actual date of the policing board meeting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

WannabePC wrote: »
    I am! I'll be watching the policing board meeting live on you-tube because I don't think I could wait until the news that night to hear what was said! Fingers crossed they'll be recruiting and taking a high number of recruits on to give most of us a good chance!

You can watch it live? Excellent. Thursday on work sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    When is the actual date of the policing board meeting then?

It's this thursday buddy. Apparently you can watch it live on youtube. Google the policing board and check their site for the link if you want to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Yeah some of their meetings are public others are private. Thankfully this months is public so we can watch! You can also go along and attend too!

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Yeah some of their meetings are public others are private. Thankfully this months is public so we can watch! You can also go along and attend too!

I didn't know that you could go and watch! I'm off today and tomorrow, if I was off on thursday I would definitely go out of curiosity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Yes, it is a public meeting broadcast live on Youtube - 5th February at 2:30pm

The waiting game is driving me crazy.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭psnihopeful

Hope we all get good news.

You can go and watch. It's like the DPP/ PCSP public meetings. A presentation to the public and public can submit questions. I wouldn't want to go and watch in case it was bad news about recruitment, I'd probably cause a scene and be removed...

Does anybody feel like this process has completely taken over their lives? It's constantly on my mind and I'm forever googling psni recruitment. Being kept in limbo and the uncertainty doesn't help!

Trying to focus on other things but just can't help mulling over it all.

Does anybody feel like this process has completely taken over their lives? It's constantly on my mind and I'm forever googling psni recruitment. Being kept in limbo and the uncertainty doesn't help!

*Raises hand* I know all to well how frustrating this process is especially if you fail the IST by a couple of marks or pass the AC only not to get processed any further, find out that that recruitment is to be frozen for a few years. I literally think about getting the call and leaving my current job every day. It's no way to live, but I have to have something to look forward/aspire to. One day...

• Advertisement

I am bad for this, on this forums loads looking for information. Ever since I sent the vetting forms away, think about post the next day and the next haha! Watched the psni road show on youtube, read all the websites and everything I can about recruitment and the job. Chasing the dream.... just time to focus on the fitness for the PCA and make sure I don't fail it or I would be gutted. The dream is within reach, only person standing in the way is the guy looking in the mirror.....

Yeah I think I would be devastated if I failed the PCA after this torture and to be honest, I am worried I am not fit enough so hoping I have enough time to make a difference!!!!

Well done on your Ac score Kevbo2015, hopefully now that you have sent your vetting away it would be long for you either:)

Wannabepc, I failed the IST the first time by 1 mark, talk about being gutted!!! and this time I passed with flying colours...my only fear is that if I ever have to do it again I might be put out again at the IST stage!!!!Ahhhhh the joys of this recruitment....

Yeah I think I would be devastated if I failed the PCA after this torture and to be honest, I am worried I am not fit enough so hoping I have enough time to make a difference!!!!

Well done on your Ac score Kevbo2015, hopefully now that you have sent your vetting away it would be long for you either:)

Wannabepc, I failed the IST the first time by 1 mark, talk about being gutted!!! and this time I passed with flying colours...my only fear is that if I ever have to do it again I might be put out again at the IST stage!!!!Ahhhhh the joys of this recruitment....

It's a pain in the arse lol. I've been trying for a good few years now and I've seen the changes in the AC stage which has made it, what I believe to be a lot harder to get through. I can't help but think if I had off passed the IST last year and had the same AC score I have atm, I could of been at GV now!!! Grrrrr

Thanks, happy enough I scored quite high in it not taking anything for granted tho because until I'm shaking the hand of the CC at pass out there is still work to be done!

Its hard to get into, I would have passed IST last year and this year if my scores were reversed ha! Long old hard process to get through, the amount of people who apply and the limited numbers they actually take makes it super competitive. Fingers crossed I can get all the way this time (2nd attempt!) and that there is money coming to let those others who want it badly into their dream careers!!!

Thanks, happy enough I scored quite high in it not taking anything for granted tho because until I'm shaking the hand of the CC at pass out there is still work to be done!

Its hard to get into, I would have passed IST last year and this year if my scores were reversed ha! Long old hard process to get through, the amount of people who apply and the limited numbers they actually take makes it super competitive. Fingers crossed I can get all the way this time (2nd attempt!) and that there is money coming to let those others who want it badly into their dream careers!!!

Shaking the hand of the CC?? He would be getting a massive bear hug and a big smouch on the lips from me.....lol jk pretty sure I'd get thrown back out haha! :-)😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

People will probably have to prop me up at the passing out parade, I'll be in tears with my fam looking on at me, I would be 4th gen, just wanna make them proud haha :)

People will probably have to prop me up at the passing out parade, I'll be in tears with my fam looking on at me, I would 4th gen, just wanna make them proud haha :)

Haha all this talk of the passing out parade is making me totes emosh!! It would be a very proud moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I am well jell of you lot, you are all in prime position for selection. I feel like its still a pipe dream too far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

I failed PCA :( still not over it lol quite a number of months later. Id be passing out in March if I'd been lucky. And I kick myself every other day lol every time I see a police car I'm like that coulda been meeee!!

Although I have every faith that it'll happen some day and when it does happen, for all of us it'll be the right time!! Afterall everything happens for a reason!

Highbury Lad everytime I'm about to give up on a run or in the gym I just imagine the passing out parade! It'll be the proudest day of our lives for us all :)

Ps it took Judith Gillespie 2 attempts to get in, back in the day, and look how successful she was in it!! Keep the faith peeps it'll happen :)

• Advertisement

Haha all this talk of the passing out parade is making me totes emosh!! It would be a very proud moment.

Psni hopeful delete some of ur pm I can't reply cause it says I've reached ur quota lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

I'm always eyeing people up in the gym, wondering if they are in this process too

(not in a weird way, I might add!)

the411 wrote: »
    I'm always eyeing people up in the gym, wondering if they are in this process too

Hahaha I do that too!! And did last time aswell, I was right a few of the times too lols (finding out through friends of friends etc) anytime I see people out running too I wonder are you doing this for the same reason I'm doing it lol

the411 wrote: »

Yeah sureeeeee 411!!! Lol just kidding haha. Yeah I'm the exact same! It kinda keeps me motivated though to see others out running.. Reminds me I should get off my backside and do something lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭warofattrition

Guys and gals,Im not a fitness expert but Id built up my own little regime which is very simple and doesn't require gym memberships or trainers.

It involved running in the park,I found wood chips easiest on the joints.Basically starting off by running at about 50-60%for as long as possible.This started off being around 800m then pushed myself further each time by around 50m up to about 1500m just before my PCA.Then test yourself as to whether you can sprint 20m and then jog 20m ten times.Its a pretty good indicator for the length of the course but remember that youll need to have reserves for the push/pull and that's when the legs may tend to be a bit wobbly!

I had been using barbells(not in a gym,they prob only cost about a tenner) to do arm curls,again just make sure you do more than the previous time and.If your arm isn't sore the next day youre not doing enough.Im not a fitness expert but from what I have gathered this is the case.

I did not have a sedentary job so had some level of activity to build on.

Folks,as a disclaimer:dont take this the wrong way but I would say that if you are carrying excess weight and not active normally,you probably will need a more accelerated programme.

This is one stage of the process that you have complete control over,please bear that in mind!!!

One final thing:the body is capable of many extraordinary things and when you feel you may be struggling,force yourself to get that extra 10-15% in the tank.You need to be staggering out of there banjaxed and gasping.

Before you do stagger out and this is the final final tip :) when you go to the push/pull,imagine that this it,this is pass or fail and scream and shout with every exertion.Dont be embarrassed at causing such noise.I did,and Im not ashamed to say it.Be aggressive with the machine and bounce back and forth timing the beeps in a nice steady rhythm.

Good luck,If anyone wants me to elaborate further via PM let me know.Ill be happy to help!

Sorry should really be in the PCA thread,Mods please move if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Guys and gals,Im not a fitness expert but Id built up my own little regime which is very simple and doesn't require gym memberships or trainers.

It involved running in the park,I found wood chips easiest on the joints.Basically starting off by running at about 50-60%for as long as possible.This started off being around 800m then pushed myself further each time by around 50m up to about 1500m just before my PCA.Then test yourself as to whether you can sprint 20m and then jog 20m ten times.Its a pretty good indicator for the length of the course but remember that youll need to have reserves for the push/pull and that's when the legs may tend to be a bit wobbly!

I had been using barbells(not in a gym,they prob only cost about a tenner) to do arm curls,again just make sure you do more than the previous time and.If your arm isn't sore the next day youre not doing enough.Im not a fitness expert but from what I have gathered this is the case.

Folks,as a disclaimer:dont take this the wrong way but I would say that if you are carrying excess weight and not active normally,you probably will need a more accelerated programme.

This is one stage of the process that you have complete control over,please bear that in mind!!!

One final thing:the body is capable of many extraordinary things and when you feel you may be struggling,force yourself to get that extra 10-15% in the tank.You need to be staggering out of there banjaxed and gasping.

Before you do stagger out and this is the final final tip :) when you go to the push/pull,imagine that this it,this is pass or fail and scream and shout with every exertion.Dont be embarrassed at causing such noise.I did,and Im not ashamed to say it.Be aggressive with the machine and bounce back and forth timing the beeps in a nice steady rhythm.

Good luck,If anyone wants me to elaborate further via PM let me know.Ill be happy to help!

This is probably one of the best pieces of advice I've seen regarding PCA.
    I can't agree more about being able to find the reserves to push a bit harder when needed and being vocal during the push pull does seem to help.

Personally when I came out of that hall my face felt like it was throbbing, lungs were on fire and was so happy there was a wall to rest against, I had pushed that hard I would have ended up on the floor.

Totally! I got made redundant at the end of last year and every day I'm looking for and applying for jobs that I have absolutely no fooking interest in! It's killing me but I know I need a plan B but I'm going to be miserable doing plan B!

Even worse is I failed my PCA by 2 seconds in August and the guys who passed it that day just started in GV last month! Could not be more annoyed at myself! Everything seemed to go tits up from then on! Especially now with this stupid delay letter!

I'm still not quite over failing the PCA last time and I'm finding it hard to motivate myself with the delay and uncertainty and I can't even watch police shows on TV because I feel sick! LOL!

Some great advice guys thanks! Sometimes when I'm coming home from work I think I can't be bothered but then just think of the dream and really it's you against you no one else at the pca stage. Really hope I'm doing enough to pass it I will be completely and utterly destroyed if I fail.

Any other tips? I've been doing some circuits, road running, skipping and boxing. Around 5 or 6 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Some great advice guys thanks! Sometimes when I'm coming home from work I think I can't be bothered but then just think of the dream and really it's you against you no one else at the pca stage. Really hope I'm doing enough to pass it I will be completely and utterly destroyed if I fail.

Any other tips? I've been doing some circuits, road running, skipping and boxing. Around 5 or 6 days a week.

When running I alternated between distance and pace, so one day would be 5 miles moderate pace and the other would be 1.5 mile best effort. Towards the end of each run I would run from one lamppost to the next as fast as possible and then jog to the next after that etc. Have a look at Fartlek Training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Sorry should really be in the PCA thread,Mods please move if necessary

Thank you.

Unfortunately I am carrying too much weight and I have a desk job. Needless to say going hammer and tongs at the running after Xmas has reaggrevated an old knee injury. I had to go to a physio to get some advice on strengthening the old leg joints.

I am wondering would it be easier to run on sand than on tarmac as I can get to a beach on my days off.

Advertisement