Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭warofattrition

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Thank you.

Unfortunately I am carrying too much weight and I have a desk job. Needless to say going hammer and tongs at the running after Xmas has reaggrevated an old knee injury. I had to go to a physio to get some advice on strengthening the old leg joints.

I am wondering would it be easier to run on sand than on tarmac as I can get to a beach on my days off.

Sorry,Gooner,Im not sure if that's a question to me or not but I wouldn't be qualified to answer it.

I would reiterate the running on wood chips is easier and even grass would be better than pounding the roads.

A treadmill would probably be better than all of the above though!!

A wee tip on the knee injury,if you make it to Pca,guide yourself round the course,getting down off the gate carefully and protecting your weak knee and push primarily with your uninjured knee on push/pull,using your upper body to compensate in the pulling action on the weak knee.Sorry to state the obvious but protect it at all costs and give it time to heal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Have you guys received your PCA invite yet?

To be honest, I'll be glad if I've a few more months to train - that's if funding does go ahead eventually .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Sorry,Gooner,Im not sure if that's a question to me or not but I wouldn't be qualified to answer it.

I would reiterate the running on wood chips is easier and even grass would be better than pounding the roads.

A treadmill would probably be better than all of the above though!!

A wee tip on the knee injury,if you make it to Pca,guide yourself round the course,getting down off the gate carefully and protecting your weak knee and push primarily with your uninjured knee on push/pull,using your upper body to compensate in the pulling action on the weak knee.Sorry to state the obvious but protect it at all costs and give it time to heal!!

Sorry, the Thank you was for you. The rest of the post was just a general gripe/wonderment at life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

the411 wrote: »
    Have you guys received your PCA invite yet?

To be honest, I'll be glad if I've a few more months to train - that's if funding does go ahead eventually .

At this moment my low AC score is a blessing as much as it is a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Just seen the psni strength of force statistics has been updated, I saved an image on my phone last month just to see what if anything has changed, and it has. Last month had 163 student officers and 6813 regular officers, this month as of Feb it states 163 student officers and 6826.75 regular officers, last week 39 passed out of garnerville squad 4 I believe, possibly 5, not sure, but doing the math basically since Jan til now looks like 26 retired. I seen also from Dec to Jan that it dropped from 6837 down to 6813, and I don't think anybody passed out from garnerville in Dec looks like if there is no body passing out each month it looks like there is massive dip due to retirements and natural wastage. Just thought I would post it up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Just seen the psni strength of force statistics has been updated, I saved an image on my phone last month just to see what if anything has changed, and it has. Last month had 163 student officers and 6813 regular officers, this month as of Feb it states 163 student officers and 6826.75 regular officers, last week 39 passed out of garnerville squad 4 I believe, possibly 5, not sure, but doing the math basically since Jan til now looks like 26 retired. I seen also from Dec to Jan that it dropped from 6837 down to 6813, and I don't think anybody passed out from garnerville in Dec looks like if there is no body passing out each month it looks like there is massive dip due to retirements and natural wastage. Just thought I would post it up there.

Good stats thanks lad. But where does the .75 come from? An officer fandering about with one arm or something?

I can't find the exact clip, but the Chief stated in one of the previous policing board meetings that he required just under 6,900 officers to maintain operational resilience.

The fact that he has nearly met this quota would suggest that they may only go ahead with 100 officers from this campaign, after all.

the411 wrote: »
    I can't find the exact clip, but the Chief stated in one of the previous policing board meetings that he required just under 6,900 officers to maintain operational resilience.

The fact that he has nearly met this quota would suggest that they may only go ahead with 100 officers from this campaign, after all.

Put it this way 411, currently 163 student officers, in at the moment this is roughly 4 squads, if each squad is of 39 and an average of 20 to 26 retire say 26 for arguments sake, just roughly, currently 163 student officers will bring the force up to 6878 that's with retirements in mind, just forecasting. 6963 is what the cc said to maintain operational resilience, that's to maintain it, they would need more than that to maintain due to retirements so if they get to 6963, then the next month 20 to 30 retire their down again.

I remember reading when recruitment opened last year, that they would need the guts of a thousand or more new recruits to maintain or plateau the numbers if that makes sense, I believe the police fed quoted it, and from the response with the planning of a third recruitment campaign i guess that was right. So effectively including us it was another 800 Odd new recruits. Trust me this is good news for us. Again these numbers aren't official just an estimate but it could be more or less, but that's the base of what I would say the powers that be will be looking at.

I hope that makes sense, hard to type it out as such lol.

fish2690 wrote: »
    Good stats thanks lad. But where does the .75 come from? An officer fandering about with one arm or something?

A decimal place is a job share lol, so probably either an acting sergeant or possibly part timers effectively doing regular hours

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭psnihopeful

Put it this way 411, currently 163 student officers, in at the moment this is roughly 4 squads, if each squad is of 39 and an average of 20 to 26 retire say 26 for arguments sake, just roughly, currently 163 student officers will bring the force up to 6878 that's with retirements in mind, just forecasting. 6963 is what the cc said to maintain operational resilience, that's to maintain it, they would need more than that to maintain due to retirements so if they get to 6963, then the next month 20 to 30 retire their down again.

I remember reading when recruitment opened last year, that they would need the guts of a thousand or more new recruits to maintain or plateau the numbers if that makes sense, I believe the police fed quoted it, and from the response with the planning of a third recruitment campaign i guess that was right. So effectively including us it was another 800 Odd new recruits. Trust me this is good news for us. Again these numbers aren't official just an estimate but it could be more or less, but that's the base of what I would say the powers that be will be looking at.

I hope that makes sense, hard to type it out as such lol.

Yayyyyyyy!!! I'm feeling hopeful again! Woohoo!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Well we have the policing board meeting tomorrow afternoon so let's hope we all get an answer on future recruitment and the number being taken on if possible too!

NEXT MEETING IN PUBLIC: 5th February 2015 in Waterside Tower at 2:30pm You can watch the meeting in public live on You Tube #nipblive.

Would someone please post any recruitment information that comes out of tomorrow's meeting.

I'm away on family matters, and would greatly appreciate it.

How are people feeling about the Board meeting today? I'm nervous.

fish2690 wrote: »
    How are people feeling about the Board meeting today? I'm nervous.

You and me both! Hopefully nerves will turn into excitement and motivation to keep up training etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

I am looking forward to it and hopefully some good news comes out of it, the top brass and those who decide what direction this whole process is going in are keeping their cards close! With all this recent budget talks and agreements I would like to think the news will be good.... or at least shine some light on it all.

If we don't get at least some info on further recruitment today I may very well cry! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭psnihopeful

WannabePC wrote: »
    If we don't get at least some info on further recruitment today I may very well cry! lol

You and me both. I already feel like throwing a very soppy tantrum. Lol!

You and me both. I already feel like throwing a very soppy tantrum. Lol!

Here's hoping that won't be the case! Went for a hard run this morning and it better not have been in vein! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Can somebody please post the details of recruitment from the board meeting when they come through.. It would be most appreciated! Thank you!

• Advertisement

countrycop wrote: »
    Can somebody please post the details of recruitment from the board meeting when they come through.. It would be most appreciated! Thank you!

The Chief Con said at the start of the meeting that the 20 million they have received is not an additional sum of money for next year but 20 million less that's not being taken off the budget for the new financial year. Instead of losing 60 million next year they're only losing 40 million off the policing budget. He did mention "reducing recruitment". Nothing else at all but we're not even half an hour into the meeting yet or the Q and A's yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

I was trying to listen while my dogs decided to pick the worst
    Moment to go mental at a cat outside the window.. But I thought he said something about having to deal with having less police officers and taking less on? Im hoping I missed what he said or picked up wrong? Can anybody clarify? I feel sick!

So they can only offer a balanced budget for 2015-16 by reducing recruitment.. Great we all know what that means! Feeling like total crap right now
    To be honest. Not the positive news I was hoping for... Good luck to the ones that got their vetting forms you're in the running for the small number of Jobs they are offering!

'While we will balance the budget for next year, this can only be delivered by reduced recruitment plans. PSNI is becoming a smaller organisation – losing more people each year than we can afford to replace.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Remember though, the original plans were to recruit 378 from campaign two and then 378 from a third campaign. Given retirements etc., the third campaign was required to bring numbers to operational resilience. The reduced plans could mean just shelving the third campaign for the next financial year.

I'm guessing it'll maybe be clarified in a few more weeks when the Draft Medium Term Resource Plan is released.

Sthm, I really really hope so!!!! But of course it's another couple of weeks before the Draft Medium Term Resource Plan is released which is even more waiting! It's just so hard to stay positive throughout all this and I'm really trying with keeping up fitness etc but it's all consuming!

Is there no medium through which we can get a definite answer.

I would prefer to know now if I've no chance, so I can come to terms with it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Sthm, I really really hope so!!!! But of course it's another couple of weeks before the Draft Medium Term Resource Plan is released which is even more waiting! It's just so hard to stay positive throughout all this and I'm really trying with keeping up fitness etc but it's all consuming!

Trust me, I know all too well of the anxious wait.

The only thing I can say is that it seems like yesterday that I applied for C1309. The weeks and months have pretty much flown in and they seemed to fly more when I put this process to the back of my mind... which I have tried to despite my posting here a bit too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Has the Q&A session happened yet? Hopefully somebody will ask a specific recruitment question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

Not the best of news from the CC however ladies and gentlemen, as I have found out through past experience, positive thinking brings positive outcomes.
    If you correct your mind, your life will correct itself... Just putting it out there

See the good in everything that happens, it's meant to be this way

• Advertisement

That's it over. No questions or real definitive mention of recruitment.

Advertisement