Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

chickidee wrote: »
    There's 900 odd of us on the merit list, but only seems to be about 20-30 regular posters on this thread.

I wonder why so little people post this time around when the first campaign was hiving.

I think it is a mixture of exhaustion and frustration about the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭chickidee

I'm still quite hopeful. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Just seen there's a tenth intake, happy days for all those who got in! Hopefully that'll be a few more numbers off the 908!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mappers27

Hi folks, I've a quick question. I have received the phonecall to go to garnerville. The process has obviously been long and at times uninformed. I have booked a holiday (before I heard from them - life must go on) The date of it is after my initial garnerville training but will only be a week after I join my new station. Am I likely to get going on this holiday or should I forget about it? It's a big holiday that means I will be away for just over 2 weeks. I've paid a significant amount already and don't want to loss it. As such, rightly or wrongly this will affect my decision as to whether I join.

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mambono5

If it's after Garnerville you could be alright it's up to your district you get allocated to decide but the problem is you don't get the district until near the end of Garnerville. Best speaking to your SSO when you start and see if you can get something sorted although they may just say they can't do anything about it as it's not when your in Garnerville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

You're insane if you don't join because of the holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

There is a public NI Policing Board meeting on Thursday 5th at 2.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

You'd be mad not to take the job, you can always go on another holiday if things don't work out, try and sell the one you have already booked etc.

Think about how long this process has been and what would happen should you have to enter it again. There is so much that’s uncertain with these budget cuts and numbers being reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mappers27

Thanks for the responses guys, I know the job is a good opportunity and has great prospects but there is more to my decision than that. In terms of actually knowing if the holiday time is likely to be granted, does anyone know/ been in this boat?

I would suggest giving HR a ring and having a chat with them?

If your having second thoughs about joining and this holiday is one of the reasons your thinking about it then maybe its not the career for you. What ever you do think long and hard about the decision, if you decide against it, no big deal life goes on and I am sure you have your reasons.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, I think it would be largely frowned upon if you were to go off on leave (for whatever reason) as soon as you have started in your new station.

Officers often make personal sacrifices to be available for their shifts. I believe I had heard of one officer who had booked her honeymoon well in advance, and was unable to take it due to restrictions on leave during the time of the G8 Summit.

I think that KevBo's suggestion is advisable, phone or email HR and explain the situation. Ask what your leave entitlement would be, and whether you can utilise it within the first weeks of your deployment to your new station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mappers27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys, I know the job is a good opportunity and has great prospects but there is more to my decision than that. In terms of actually knowing if the holiday time is likely to be granted, does anyone know/ been in this boat?
    It's the done thing that Moderators be clear about whether they're posting as a Moderator or just a normal Joe.

For the sake of the following post, and for clarity to my CMods, please consider the following to be personal opinion, and not the opinion of the PSNI:

Hello Mappers27.

You are not the first person to have asked this question, and you won't be the last. If you hang around here long enough, some of the guys currently in Garnerville will be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but, directly after you attest, you have additional training that you must pass before you can become operational. The standard Firearms course being a good example.

You would do well to give your current dilemma serious thought, because this is not going to be the only time you will be seriously inconvenienced in your personal life. You will miss events, social arrangements, school plays, and much more. To rub salt into the wound, while your child is looking for you when they're on the stage, you're cleaning vomit off your shirt, courtesy of someone who doesn't know their limits.

People don't do this job for the money. Most people reading this genuinely want to make a difference, they know they could make a difference if they just had the chance. They accept that they'll have to do the deeply unpleasant things...

Like knock on the front door of a house that's buzzing with giggles and tickles, and in one sentence, smash Daddy's world into tiny pieces, and, look... you can't look them in the eye but you can't look away, the slowly-changing expressions on their faces, they know something's wrong, Daddy is trying to be strong but he's human, he starts to tremble after asking how it happened, you try to remember your training but it's not there, you see the formation of the first of many tears to fall, it's so quiet, they're just standing looking at Daddy, he can't tell them, it's not true, "are you sure?" he asks, your training is useless to you now, he needs...

you.

Or does he?

That's deep thinking for a Monday evening, Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Shield wrote: »
    It's the done thing that Moderators be clear about whether they're posting as a Moderator or just a normal Joe.

For the sake of the following post, and for clarity to my CMods, please consider the following to be personal opinion, and not the opinion of the PSNI:

Hello Mappers27.

You are not the first person to have asked this question, and you won't be the last. If you hang around here long enough, some of the guys currently in Garnerville will be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but, directly after you attest, you have additional training that you must pass before you can become operational. The standard Firearms course being a good example.

You would do well to give your current dilemma serious thought, because this is not going to be the only time you will be seriously inconvenienced in your personal life. You will miss events, social arrangements, school plays, and much more. To rub salt into the wound, while your child is looking for you when they're on the stage, you're cleaning vomit off your shirt, courtesy of someone who doesn't know their limits.

People don't do this job for the money. Most people reading this genuinely want to make a difference, they know they could make a difference if they just had the chance. They accept that they'll have to do the deeply unpleasant things...

Like knock on the front door of a house that's buzzing with giggles and tickles, and in one sentence, smash Daddy's world into tiny pieces, and, look... you can't look them in the eye but you can't look away, the slowly-changing expressions on their faces, they know something's wrong, Daddy is trying to be strong but he's human, he starts to tremble after asking how it happened, you try to remember your training but it's not there, you see the formation of the first of many tears to fall, it's so quiet, they're just standing looking at Daddy, he can't tell them, it's not true, "are you sure?" he asks, your training is useless to you now, he needs...

you.

Or does he?

It's no longer like that shield

It's an intensive 22 week course including firearms and psp

The emphasis is on you to do the pre reads and most of the learning yourself

Pass out friday report to station on monday for operational duty is how it goes now, driving courses are detailed from district at a later date and if needed

And Mappers27

I gave up a holiday in vegas to do my training, I was due to be best man for my best mates wedding, not only did I have to cancel the holiday but I had to let my best mate down, horrible but thankfully he understands the nature of the job. Will be worth it a million times over in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1212

And in addition to above you don't actually get put on the holiday booking system until you pass out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Much appreciated. Can you advise our new forum member what his first impression to his colleagues would be if he went AL on Day 1 in his station?

Back in my day, after you attested, you were allocated your week off somewhere in the 10 weeks of ODP phase 2 training, which made ODP 11 weeks but one week of that was mandatory AL during those 11 weeks.
    pb82 wrote: »
    It's no longer like that shield

It's an intensive 22 week course including firearms and psp

The emphasis is on you to do the pre reads and most of the learning yourself

Pass out friday report to station on monday for operational duty is how it goes now, driving courses are detailed from district at a later date and if needed

And Mappers27

I gave up a holiday in vegas to do my training, I was due to be best man for my best mates wedding, not only did I have to cancel the holiday but I had to let my best mate down, horrible but thankfully he understands the nature of the job. Will be worth it a million times over in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Here's hoping for some development/news in tomorrow's board meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

countrycop wrote: »
    Here's hoping for some development/news in tomorrow's board meeting.

I hope your right bud, was just thinking we applied in May 2014, it's now March 2015 and we've only passed the assessment centre, still have the remaining stages to pass, and at that rate God only knows if it's to happen, when it will. Folks in campaign 1 are still waiting too. I was just sort of researching and really googling and was looking up Police Scotland and it says they're process now takes 10-12 weeks from applying to offer is made. Just such a stark contrast in comparison to here, wish here was as efficient, suppose money slows everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Anyone watching live later? Could i get any relevant info posted up as I am away to a doctors appointment this afternoon. I'll try and get watching it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lionfunk

Im watching it now, by april 2016 police numbers will shrink to 6700

• Advertisement

Chief Con on resources:

2015/16 will see reduced recruitment plans in order to balance the budget. More than 1,000 officers currently approaching the age of retirement. Human resources are shrinking, estimated that the PSNI will be reduced to 6,770 officers by April 2016. Limited recruitment next year.

reading between the lines, as there predicted number is 223 less than their previous goal, there will be 155 recruits in the 2015/16 financial year. With more occurring in 2016/17.

PCA is being reviewed for Campaign 2 due to the high female failure rates.

Is this still on going does anyone have a link I can get to watch it?

Numbers falling so much.... crazy policing is changing its entire make up in Northern Ireland it seems. PCA review could only be a good thing, makes it easier to pass surely haha. Wonder where the females are falling short the cirtuit or push pull... makes sense they review it as females never had to do it previous until you were in GV and had specific training for it.

look up the NI Policing Board on twitter

PCA amendment could potentially mean that there is a lower overall failure rate. That will more than likely make it harder for those of us further down the list to get a place.

I believe the intention is still to take 100 recruits this year, and an additional 100 in 2016 (if funding is available)

Thanks thought it was live on TV or something? haha. Will keep an eye on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

The final budget has been presented not finalised, I will say there will be more negotiations going on, 1000 officers with 30 years service done or approaching retirement is quite a shocking figure. I get the impression the chief is painting a realistic picture, this is the cuts you want, this is the service you get. Fair play .As for the fitness element, ACC Finlay said it was being reviewed, but he did rebuttle it was an occupational fitness test, I would be surprised if they changed this dramatically could easily see the wall being taken away again, but then the time could be shortened to what it was prior. Just guess work mind you. Again time will reveal all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Just my opinion, but removing the PCA element of the process would be a step in the wrong direction.

• Advertisement

Fully agree with the step in wrong direction if it was removed. If there are lots of females failing it you will have less females in the force which would misrepresent the population of Northern Ireland so its something to be looked at so as there are equal numbers at least getting into GV.

Advertisement