Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

Another meeting down with little to no new information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭chickidee

I had heard that the PCA was under review a number of weeks ago, but couldn't post it.

I am ambivalent towards any potential change. I failed it last time, so will make sure I put the work in to meet the requirement this time (whatever it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Well I can't say too pleased with what I'm hearing here. I didn't see the meeting or follow it but if there's going to be a reduction to 6700 officers and no commitment on taking on more than 100 this year I'm feeling really disheartened yet again!

Just feel like this is never going to happen for me! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Suppose it's on topic - did anyone else catch the front page of The Irish News today?

Apparently 'PSNI personnel unit fears 'reversal' of Patten reforms and moots return to 50:50' due to 'recruits being disproportionately Protestant males'. It references this recent Workforce Plan which mentions if PSNI is to achieve its aim of being fully reflective of wider NI society then 'PSNI will need to undertake additional measures' such as the 're-introduction of a specific Gender Action Plan or taking affirmative action to increase Roman Catholic representation'.

Aside from stating the obvious that any reintroduction of positive discrimination would add a huge hurdle to a portion of the merit pool, I'll keep my views to myself as I don't think this is the place to discuss politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Fully agree with the step in wrong direction if it was removed. If there are lots of females failing it you will have less females in the force which would misrepresent the population of Northern Ireland so its something to be looked at so as there are equal numbers at least getting into GV.

Can't give a source yet but I've it on v. good authority that 65% of females failed PCA.

• Advertisement

Well it's been on BBC and utv news that only 20% of females passed PCA in last campaign. So your source is off a bit! And it's not a secret figure...

I'll defend the PSNI's point. If I'm honest with myself, I was unfit before my PCA.

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Well it's been on BBC and utv news that only 20% of females passed PCA in last campaign. So your source is off a bit! And it's not a secret figure...

Well thats wrong, it's around a 35% pass rate, enough of a difference for some to class it as indirect sex discrimination. Hence the debate.

Just home to read the EQIA document on the workforce plan. It states that the intention (pre-budget cuts) was to take 299 officers from this campaign.

The BBC news story now says the PSNI will be taking '200 less recruits in the 2015/16 financial year'. I therefore assume that they are sticking with the 100 new officers this year.

I guess the rest of us will be waiting to the 2016/17 financial year. I just hope we make it into the next 100!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

chickidee wrote: »
    Just home to read the EQIA document on the workforce plan. It states that the intention (pre-budget cuts) was to take 299 officers from this campaign.

The BBC news story now says the PSNI will be taking '200 less recruits in the 2015/16 financial year'. I therefore assume that they are sticking with the 100 new officers this year.

I guess the rest of us will be waiting to the 2016/17 financial year. I just hope we make it into the next 100!
    This all sounds BRUTAL!! I wonder how low the ac marks will go for those 100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

That 200 less chickidee on the news is the 200 less the policing board and psni agreed upon by this time next year, 6763 instead of 6963 for operational resilience.

That document was drawn up in 2013 the projected numbers anyway. One of the FOI that gave details on us in the list said that probable recruitment numbers this year would be 100 to 200 New recruits, of the anticipated 378, and because the lack of campaign 3 which was to see another 378, it said that it will be likely used for 2016/2017, our merit list, if someone could link it again that would be awesome lol I can't find it again.

I say to wait and see, the chair on the policing board said they were meeting again privately to discuss further issues the final budget hasn't been settled, I'm not getting my hopes up, but until the new financial year I'll see what happens. I know all this news of budget cuts sucks, but I'm waiting to see what happens until official news is announced it may never be as it's done squad by squad, but I'm going to be reserved and conservative on this.

I wouldn't mind waiting, if I was guaranteed another shot at it.

There's 900 people on our merit list.

I have real doubts that even with my mid 70's AC score, that I won't be high enough up the merit list - even if they take the full 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

I can't see them doing away with the pca aspect of recruitment (remember previously the pca had to be completed at gv before passing out)

I can however see them dropping the push pull pass mark to favour females as I believe this is the aspect the majority may have failed on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Just read this post and about the girls failing the PCA. At the risk of pissing fellow ladies off they shouldn't amend it. I'm mid 30's and don't get gym time and I passed it twice. It's more mind over matter and I think anyone serious enough about joining the PSNI given how competitive it is regarding applicants vs spaces should have made the maximum effort to train for it as it's months before you get there. Its a hard as hell job both physically and mentally so I think making the PCA easier for girls to pass would be a bad idea. It's the nature of the business to be primarily male dominated and I seriously think it will always be male dominated as much as I'd like to see it get close to 50:50 male/female I think it's not possible, there's not enough of us muppets out there :P

pb82 wrote: »
    I can't see them doing away with the pca aspect of recruitment (remember previously the pca had to be completed at gv before passing out)

I can however see them dropping the push pull pass mark to favour females as I believe this is the aspect the majority may have failed on

I'd hate to see that happen. As soon as a chick is in a physical confrontation with a grown male, is she and the PSNI going to be happy they lowered the pass mark?! As J said in the PCA familiarisation EVERYTHING in the PCA is job related and specific. The job isn't going to change so I can't see the logic in the PCA changing. Just my opinion and I know there's plenty who would disagree

Mop a top wrote: »
    Just read this post and about the girls failing the PCA. At the risk of pissing fellow ladies off they shouldn't amend it. I'm mid 30's and don't get gym time and I passed it twice. It's more mind over matter and I think anyone serious enough about joining the PSNI given how competitive it is regarding applicants vs spaces should have made the maximum effort to train for it as it's months before you get there. Its a hard as hell job both physically and mentally so I think making the PCA easier for girls to pass would be a bad idea. It's the nature of the business to be primarily male dominated and I seriously think it will always be male dominated as much as I'd like to see it get close to 50:50 male/female I think it's not possible, there's not enough of us muppets out there :P

Well done for passing twice, nice reminder to those who maybe missed it by a second or a kg. If memory serves, did you not go horse riding or something equally physical?

The force is leaning towards being more community focused - not without the need for fitness obviously, but perhaps not at the risk of writing off substantially over half the female applicants.

It wasn't meant as a rub your nose in it remark it was meant as a "it's set to those forces/weights/heights etc as their applicable" remark so I can't understand why they'd change it. No disrespect meant but if you think it was meant as a kick in the teeth to those who failed, it certainly wasn't, I know how they feel, I get one every time I see people posting they're in with a 60-something score so I'm the last person who's wanting to be rubbing someone else's nose in it.

Yeah you're right I horse ride, once a week but had to give that up for the second time round since I messed up my ankle. I don't understand how that would put me at any advantage though. My thighs are no more toned than anyone else who goes to the gym or does the likes of crossfit. I get that the PSNI isn't seeing itself as a force anymore but branded and moving itself towards a "service" but there will ALWAYS be a time in any officers career where quite frankly brute force and ignorance are required. I have no doubt that some of the people who didn't pass the PCA would have made great PC's. It probably would have been fairer to them if they still operated the previous recruitment without the PCA as I'm sure they'd have passed it after 20 weeks of hotel GV's PTs working with them before their PCA and passing out.

Like I said in previous posts it's only my opinion, some will agree, some won't, I appreciate that and if were fortunate to get a place in GV and work in PSNI then we'll all have to listen to conflicting POV's we mightn't agree with.

0O0 wrote: »
    Well thats wrong, it's around a 35% pass rate, enough of a difference for some to class it as indirect sex discrimination. Hence the debate.

Well the words came out of the ACC's mouth... Only 2/10 women passed whereas 9/10 men.. So I'm going to believe him.. Unless you're saying he's wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I wouldn't mind waiting, if I was guaranteed another shot at it.

There's 900 people on our merit list.

I have real doubts that even with my mid 70's AC score, that I won't be high enough up the merit list - even if they take the full 200.

I'm pretty confident you will chickidee, from the foi I've read, there should be about 100 people who have been given vetting forms from our merit list. That went down to 78 in merit. I would say you will be in the next group to get vetting forms.

100 currently being vetted, with the rates of attrition and vetting has to be passed, as well as pca and smt and online learning you should get 50-60 out of that 100 to pass the remaining stages it could be less than 50-60. If your mid 70's, people with 76 got in squad 2 last campaign, I know it's slightly different as there is more people on our merit list.

That being said, I believe if they take say 200 on this year, you will be most definitely called forward with vetting. This list I believe will be different I think the rates of attrition could be higher, not everyone is going to wait around and others will move on and forward with their lives and careers. This is only me surmising mind you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

I'm pretty confident you will chickidee, from the foi I've read, there should be about 100 people who have been given vetting forms from our merit list. That went down to 78 in merit. I would say you will be in the next group to get vetting forms.

100 currently being vetted, with the rates of attrition and vetting has to be passed, as well as pca and smt and online learning you should get 50-60 out of that 100 to pass the remaining stages it could be less than 50-60. If your mid 70's, people with 76 got in squad 2 last campaign, I know it's slightly different as there is more people on our merit list.

That being said, I believe if they take say 200 on this year, you will be most definitely called forward with vetting. This list I believe will be different I think the rates of attrition could be higher, not everyone is going to wait around and others will move on and forward with their lives and careers. This is only me surmising mind you. :)

Plus... how many people applied for both campaigns? I'm sure there is quite a lot of people who did and getting experience from the AC first time round have maybe increased their score to sit in the forst 100. Some of these above us will have been offered jobs in Campaign 1 so will pull out of Campaign 2.

• Advertisement

Chickidee I'd have to agree with HighburyLad in that one. I got low 70's campaign 1 and I should have been intake 4 with that score only vetting held me up. If you think they're taking approximately 40 in each intake you might be in with a good shot after folk don't make it through vetting PCA and medical. Wouldn't get my hopes up just in case but don't lose faith :)

Fish2690 tbh I did worse second time round!! With all the hassle about repeat PCA's etc I can honestly at I was seriously debating whether to go or not, my score was still a pass but it reflected that and I've no one to blame but myself for my score.

Would highly recommend everyone takes the recruitment with a pinch of salt. Train for PCA's, give the stages your full focus and effort but no matter how well your recruitment is going and even if it's moving like clockwork don't put all your eggs in one basket, well that's what I've learnt since 2013 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Agree with Mop who has had a rough ride through this whole process to say the least, the more you get fixed on it and the more you let it get in the way of things the harder it hits you if you don't get it. I failed the first campaign and it was devastating like.

On a side note since this is about campaign news, the numbers being reduced will surely change the nature of the force? I imagine the service delivery side of it, or customer servcice will suffer from the lack of officers and time devoted to each case, victim or criminal or what ever else they would interact with.

Thanks my lovely :) I'm feeling very much like a bad smell, you just can't get rid of me lmao!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jackrabbit09

hi first time poster. wondering if anyone had any information regarding to campaign 2? have they started processing or are they still working through campaign 1?
    thanks

hi first time poster. wondering if anyone had any information regarding to campaign 2? have they started processing or are they still working through campaign 1?
    thanks

Still working through 1 ATM but vetting has been sent out to the top 200 scores in 2 as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jackrabbit09

Still working through 1 ATM but vetting has been sent out to the top 200 scores in 2 as far as I know

sorry again to bother you, do you know how many applicants there are within campaign 2?
    I suppose, the rest of the applicants will have to wait until the new financial year to hear back?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Was it 200 that scored 78 or above? l thought it was 100.. Just about quick question,which I hope isn't a stupid one lol when is the final budget for 2015/2016 decided? I know it comes into play at the start of April but will we get word of it before then or are we talking the April board meeting?

"Before the impact of the budgetary cuts, the original plan was that the 2013 police recruitment competition would deliver 378 appointments during the 2014/15 financial year and the 2014 competition would deliver another 378 appointments during the 2015/16 financial year, in accordance with the agreed Medium Term Resource Plan.

However, whilst we have almost attained the target from Campaign 1 in the 2014/ 15 financial year, the impact of the budgetary cuts has substantially affected the plans for Campaign 2. Instead of the original 378 appointments, it is likely that this will reduce to somewhere between 100 and 200, yet to be finalised.

As such, our aim is to manage candidate expectation and 810 candidates have been advised they will not be progressing further on the merit pool, at this time. However, this is subject to change should the financial position improve.

Also, the PSNI has put plans to launch Campaign 3 on hold and can continue to appoint from the Campaign 2 list in to the 2016/ 17 year, to meet future organisational need. This is subject to constant review and therefore it is difficult to provide any further information at present."

"Work has just commenced re Campaign 2 and a total of 908 persons are on the merit List."

• Advertisement

From the two above posts we can see that 98 people have thus far been processed while the remaining 810 have been told they are not progressing at this time. The 98 processed people have only received their vetting form so far but there is no word of PCA dates as of yet.

Advertisement