Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Campaign 2 there are 908 people on the merit list and 810 have received letters saying they aren't being progressed currently so only 98 people have received vetting forms to date. This info all from the freedom of information post released last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Beat me to it there fish! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Icarus9 wrote: »
    Campaign 2 there are 908 people on the merit list and 810 have received letters saying they aren't being progressed currently so only 98 people have received vetting forms to date. This info all from the freedom of information post released last month
    So I was correct in thinking that 98 people scored 78 AC or above! Can anyone comment on when the budget for 2015/2016 is finalised and when we should hear about it? April board meeting or before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

countrycop wrote: »
    So I was correct in thinking that 98 people scored 78 AC or above! Can anyone comment on when the budget for 2015/2016 is finalised and when we should hear about it? April board meeting or before then?

Final budget has been presented not finalised mate, that is being discussed over the next few weeks. I'm hoping a last few mil could be scraped through or even an emergency budget the millions that will be left over from this year maybe an exception could be made to carry over. I just can't see the executive allowing what's happening to happen with the shocking stats the chief discussed at the board meeting yesterday I just can't see it, he said 1000 are due to retire, that would be catastrophic if say 50% take retirement straight away, which is highly probable. I could see the argument to starting a new campaign but a normal logical thinking would be okay we have 900 people on the list, let's get as many through as we can.

Edit:
    I say this but again this is NI and we seem to make things in this country harder than they have to be for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Final budget has been presented not finalised mate, that is being discussed over the next few weeks. I'm hoping a last few mil could be scraped through or even an emergency budget the millions that will be left over from this year maybe an exception could be made to carry over. I just can't see the executive allowing what's happening to happen with the shocking stats the chief discussed at the board meeting yesterday I just can't see it, he said 1000 are due to retire, that would be catastrophic if say 50% take retirement straight away, which is highly probable. I could see the argument to starting a new campaign but a normal logical thinking would be okay we have 900 people on the list, let's get as many through as we can.

Edit:
    I say this but again this is NI and we seem to make things in this country harder than they have to be for ourselves.

The lack of a facility to carry over in-year underspends as part of a strategic reserve hampers my ability to improve policing and invest in long term effectiveness and efficiency. This has been starkly illustrated to me in my first eight months as Chief Constable. The considerable financial volatility, affecting both our in-year budget and our forecasts for next year, make strategic financial planning very challenging. The level of cuts we were notified of in October 2014 required a significant revision of our medium term financial plan. Weeks later, we were notified of a further £13m funding.

Under the leadership of the Deputy Chief Constable, we adopted a robust and prudent approach to 2014/15 spending in order to ensure we are fit for purpose in 2015/16. This included the creation of a limited financial reserve to ensure a response capability for any unforeseen public order or security related incidents. While we have written to the Department of Justice to request that any financial reserve we have created in-year could be carried forward to deal with pressures next year, regrettably a carry forward facility has not been possible. The reality of this situation is that while we face extraordinary challenges in the years ahead it is likely that we will end this financial year with an underspend.

• Advertisement

fish2690 wrote: »
    The lack of a facility to carry over in-year underspends as part of a strategic reserve hampers my ability to improve policing and invest in long term effectiveness and efficiency. This has been starkly illustrated to me in my first eight months as Chief Constable. The considerable financial volatility, affecting both our in-year budget and our forecasts for next year, make strategic financial planning very challenging. The level of cuts we were notified of in October 2014 required a significant revision of our medium term financial plan. Weeks later, we were notified of a further £13m funding.

Under the leadership of the Deputy Chief Constable, we adopted a robust and prudent approach to 2014/15 spending in order to ensure we are fit for purpose in 2015/16. This included the creation of a limited financial reserve to ensure a response capability for any unforeseen public order or security related incidents. While we have written to the Department of Justice to request that any financial reserve we have created in-year could be carried forward to deal with pressures next year, regrettably a carry forward facility has not been possible. The reality of this situation is that while we face extraordinary challenges in the years ahead it is likely that we will end this financial year with an underspend.

Well that confirms that lol lets hope that they can get some emergency funds. it's going to be yet another very long month...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jackrabbit09

Is there anyone that has not had any correspondance regarding campaign 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭chickidee

Most people know were they stand.

Either they received the vetting forms, or they received the letter.

fish2690 wrote: »

I still think negotiations may be still underway, I could be just grasping at straws here, but I find it amazing that with the history we have in this country and terrorism that this country faces, that the executive would allow the deterioration of the police service. I know everyone is facing economic pressures but there is things that you can't put a price on I.e. safety and as always it takes something disastrous to happen for the politicians here to do something. I'm taking solace in the fact that everything in this country is left right to the last moment, and I'm hoping that within the last moment, for the PSNI that something will materialise and will allow recruitment to continue or more to be taken on at least.

I'm hopeful but realistic

I doubt they'll receive more funding than that allocated. The 2010 budget cuts resulted in recruitment being stopped. I think we are lucky that a small number are going through this time.

• Advertisement

chickidee wrote: »
    I'm hopeful but realistic

I doubt they'll receive more funding than that allocated. The 2010 budget cuts resulted in recruitment being stopped. I think we are lucky that a small number are going through this time.

Your probably right, we can hope though, I seen the article in the telegraph of "recruitment crisis". This country is slowly going to pot lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

Anyone who filled out vetting forms heard anything back yet? The anticipation is absolutely killing me

They are coming up with the suggestions for the possible amendment to the PCA within the next two weeks.

I doubt they will process anyone further until that decision has been made.

I assume the same PCA standard will have to apply to those being processed now, and those who may be processed under the same campaign but at a later date. (ie. those of us with a lower score)

I would have thought everyone in the same campaign would have done the same PCA especially as they haven't arranged it yet, I think I can pass it if I work hard, but the '2 out of 10 women' statistic has me worried, I've done half marathons in the past and have a pretty good standard of cardio but my strength could definitely use some work, anyone got any tips for training for it?

I failed it last time, so I won't be much help to you I'm afraid.

I will say that it's harder than you think. Is this your first time applying?

Provided you have a decent level of fitness, you should be fine.

chickidee wrote: »
    I failed it last time, so I won't be much help to you I'm afraid.

I will say that it's harder than you think. Is this your first time applying?

Provided you have a decent level of fitness, you should be fine.

Yeah it's my first time applying, have thought about it before but there were other things holding me back, so a bit like a fish out of water!

What part of it do you think was responsible for the fail? Push-pull? I have an okay level of fitness but it's mostly just running I do, so this is a bit more variety than I'm used to, did I read in the applicant guidance that you can go in for a practice run before your date?

I would imagine if they are holding off on booking PCA for those already being processed until any amendments are made that they would also apply to those being processed?

I failed the push/pull. I was only 5'1 and under 44kg, so I struggled with it.

They give you a familiarisation before hand, so you can practice the elements of the course. In my opinion, it didn't give an adequate reflection of how much exertion goes into the test itself - but is beneficial.

I would continue training as you have been. I believe they may either reduce the push/pull, or move the PCA to the end of training itself.
    Either way, they will have to inform candidates of any changes. You should have adequate notice and time to prepare.

Cheers chickidee I am a good bit heavier and taller so hopefully that will help with the push pull but could work against me for the other elements of the course! All I can do it eat clean and train hard and hope for the best!

Best of luck for it. Hopefully you'll get word soon :)

Thanks love :)

Wow... An Internet forum where people are nice and helpful to each other :O

I didn't even know such a thing existed!

• Advertisement

It's a collective struggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

The PCA is seriously worrying me. Looking at some of the articles of those who struggle, they are far more fitter than me. Personally the longer I have to wait the better.

The course isn't impossible. I received my AC results in late Feb last year and did my PCA at the beginning of April. Approximately 6 weeks notice.

I did no cardio training before the PCA at all! I had never entered a gym, and did absolutely no cardio/ running and still managed to pass the laps in the time frame (just about)

It is do-able

Hopefully so, my cardio is pretty strong but strength and conditioning could let me down the girl in the video makes it look so easy though!! I feel like ive come too far to mess up as the process has taken so long already

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Aerobically fit people fail the test every time. They think that because they can run for a few miles, it won't be a problem.

Those of you who have yet to do it, drop the 3-mile run yesterday. The PCA is all about how your body performs when your body is low on oxygen, also known as anaerobic performance. This is measured by getting you to do stuff, run, stop, do more stuff, run, stop, more stuff, and so on. It has to reflect real-life policing scenarios.

You're never going to chase someone on a 3-mile continuous run. Instead, you'll be turning corners, climbing over walls, running up and down stairs, and so on. I have seen instance after instance of people either failing the PCA and not knowing why, or people passing the PCA, but said it was much harder than they had imagined.

Drop those weights in the gym. Instead, try the beep test, also known as 'shuttle runs'.

Have a look at this page to download the beep test.

I am open to correction on this, but from memory, men have to hit at least 8, and for women it's 6. Only 1 person I know ever finished the beep test at level 20. He was a savage, and had much experience of this kind of training. We were simply gobsmacked, as was the PT.

Finish the beep test, and I'll happily buy you a free bag of fresh sea air.

Hey shield! I remember doing the beep test back in school and it was pretty hard, is this something you do as part of PCA as I haven't heard it mentioned? Or is it in GV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Jalapeño, I wasnt a distance runner at all. Any time I went for a run it was about 1.5 miles and I did it in sprint bursts and a slow jog rather than a continuous pace. I'm not a gym person at all, used to horse ride once a week until I messed up my ankle but I did kick boxing and Gymfit for conditioning and muscle tone. It's do-able, I'm female, 5.5 and weigh about 68 kg, my thighs and arms would be quite toned so I think the weight helped with the push pull.

When I hurt my ankle the PTI at the familiarisation day was awesome. He said I should get on an exercise bike and go flat out for 45s then slow down for 15s and repeat this for 4 mins. He reckoned that would mimic the stop start kind of feel to the PCA but you literally have to go hell for leather at it. I worked my way up to 10mins of this and only did the muscle conditioning at Gymfit cos I was paranoid I'd go over on my ankle for my second PCA. You will literally feel like you've emptied yourself of every breath and ounce of energy when you walk out of the doors of your PCA but that's what they reckon you should be like but the most important thing I could say is you HAVE to be 100% positive in it. You'll feel exhausted and what's the point I'm never getting round it in time but you need to dig deep, give yourself a kick up the arse and sprint to that finish line like your life depends on it and when you get the medical booklet it will be all worth while.

Good luck my lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Hopefully so, my cardio is pretty strong but strength and conditioning could let me down the girl in the video makes it look so easy though!! I feel like ive come too far to mess up as the process has taken so long already

Yeah the video makes it look really easy actually but remember you have three laps to do! I did my PCA last august and failed it by 2 seconds which was just devastating!! I fell off the balance beam on my last lap so lost a couple of seconds there but I can honestly say it's probably the hardest thing I've ever done! I think with nerves I was breathing heavily before the first obstacle and then going straight to the push/pull without a breather is tough but I passed it with ease and that was the bit I was more worried about.
    I'm female 5'6 and about 70kgs so the height and weight helped with the push/pull.

It's definitely achievable but don't underestimate it! Maybe if I hadn't fallen off the beam I would have scraped a pass but I've beaten myself up about it enough and I just hope I'm given the opportunity for another crack at it in campaign 2!

I hate posting negative news, but has anyone seen the debacle of what is happening regarding the Stormont House Agreement? If things couldn't get worse.

• Advertisement

I hate posting negative news, but has anyone seen the debacle of what is happening regarding the Stormont House Agreement? If things couldn't get worse.
    What now???? Lol

Advertisement