Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭chickidee

Yes, well if the stormont house agreement isn't passed then I assume the £20 million reprieve on the budget will fall through. There may be no recruitment for any of us. Worst case scenario though. I'm sure it won't come to that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

chickidee wrote: »
    Yes, well if the stormont house agreement isn't passed then I assume the £20 million reprieve on the budget will fall through. There may be no recruitment for any of us. Worst case scenario though. I'm sure it won't come to that.....
    So best case scenario we get the £20million reprieve and recruitment is drawn out as expected and worst case we don't get it and recruitment stops? is there definitely no chance of getting more money at all?

I don't know, but I would struggle to see where they could secure extra funding from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

countrycop wrote: »
    What now???? Lol

Sinn Fein have pulled out of the agreement, because of social welfare, if it isn't addressed at the end of the month, it's another 114 mil fine to be paid. I despair for this country not just for us or policing but right across the board, there is nothing for the future, plenty of Mickey mouse jobs but no careers. I really don't know what this means and whether it can be salvaged again. I hope. Time will tell.

I don't know, but I would struggle to see where they could secure extra funding from

Anybody any spare change lying about? we could start a "whip around" !!

• Advertisement

Anybody any spare change lying about? we could start a "whip around" !!

Funny I was just going to say the same.

We may raid our off shore accounts and stump up the missing £40million.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

The sooner they dissolve our so called government the better

how can that collection of imbeciles govern anything

Everyone of them are there for their own personal agenda and care not one bit about the tax paying public

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Against the grain but I have to say fair play for sticking to their guns if the DUP are trying to change what has been agreed. I mean we need more money to run the country and the cost is imposing welfare cuts on the poorest in society. Grab with one hand take with another, the rich get richer and the poor poorer. The politicians of this country are not fit to govern, waste public money on Irish signs and taking gay people to court for wanting to give blood, ENOUGH of the petty party politics and lets focus on the communities of Northern Ireland weather orange or green. Sick of this ****.

pb82 wrote: »
    The sooner they dissolve our so called government the better

how can that collection of imbeciles govern anything

Everyone of them are there for their own personal agenda and care not one bit about the tax paying public

And what would be the alternative? Being ruled from Westminster?

Because from what I've seen, the Tories would cut the tripe out of our economy.
    I don't think they are fully appreciative of our security situation here either - so I doubt funding would be forth coming.

Anyway, I won't argue the point any further or the lovely shield will politely remind us to keep the forum on track (sorry shield ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

The whole thing really is a disaster and really saps any hope of getting anywhere near this job at the moment, and this is all i want to do. I imagine if this pans out and recruitment does go ahead a vast number of the 900 merit pool will either lose interest or go on to take other opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

Surely recruitment will go ahead but just a smaller number, no?

That was with the 20million budget reprieve, unless that gets sorted there may be even less/none at all

I would imagine there will be some form of recruitment. The country cannot afford to have a weak police force in the circumstances we live in, budget cuts or not we simply cannot foster peace with a weak police force.

Yikes! Would they really throw so much money into the process so far not to have anything out of it though?

Yikes! Would they really throw so much money into the process so far not to have anything out of it though?

Hopefully not!

You're right it cant afford to have a weak police force but invariably these cuts are weakening it below what the CC has determined to be operational resilience.

They froze recruitment in 2010 after running a successful campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

If it were to freeze does that mean the current merit list would be held until its unfrozen or would it kick.off with a new campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

2010/11 is different from now in that they had reached, or gotten near, to 7,500 officers and 30% RC.

Nothing more than another political stunt. Of course, it'll have nothing to do with any upcoming election. Most of the parties within this province remain to be nothing more than a joke.

So you think that recruitment will continue as planned?

I'm just surmising of course but I couldn't see it being frozen. Even before the 20m budget reprieve, the CC announced that recruitment would continue with re-calibrated plans.

This welfare debate will last a month or two whilst SF rub their hands in hope that their constituents lap it up before the election.

• Advertisement

So you think that recruitment will continue as planned?

The key word is THINK here because all we are doing is blowing out hot air, no matter what sources people have said they have nothing is guaranteed until we hear it from the CC himself. Even then, it has been shown that he cannot always stick to what he has said under changing circumstances, i.e. he gets money, he doesn't get money.... its very volatile at the moment.

Best bet is keep the ears up when the news is on and see what happens with this political fall out.

Well I'd say the best thing to do is keep training hard and assume that all is going ahead as we won't have any control over that, that way even if it doesn't go ahead we will all be looking good come summer ;)

With so much uncertainty regarding the process, I have decided to put my training on hold for a while. They will likely contact applicants in the next number of weeks with information regarding PCA standards.

I was reading an EQIA document which stated that back in Campaign 10 (many moons ago) there was concern regarding the number of female applicants. As a result, they made the decision to put the PCA at the end of training. I could be wrong, but it looks like this may come into effect again.

Regardless, we are now 10 months into the process with much uncertainty. For some of us, it is likely we will be waiting to April 2016 to see if we fall into the next bracket on the merit list.

Obviously it's all speculation, but I couldn't see them doing away with the PCA pre-appointment. I reckon they'll adopt pass thresholds for the circuit and push/pull dependent on gender and age, something like Police Scotland do with their fitness tests.

In my opinion, whatever PCA adopted, every candidate has had a huge amount of notice to get fit enough to pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Don't know if anyone has read or is interested but the below shows the minutes of the NIPB meeting from February. Look at Section 17 in particular.

http://www.nipolicingboard.org.uk/northern_ireland_policing_board_-_5_february_2015_-_minutes.pdf

I assume you are referring to the point:

- Funding for 2015/16 and beyond based on 6,963 Police Officers and sub-optimal recruitment of 100 Officers per year.

This is in line with what I had heard internally. 100 officers this year (those with the vetting forms) and up to another 100 in the 2016/17 financial year.

I just hope I make into next years batch. I would be frustrated if I thought I had to wait to April 2017.

I assume you are referring to the point:

- Funding for 2015/16 and beyond based on 6,963 Police Officers and sub-optimal recruitment of 100 Officers per year.

This is in line with what I had heard internally. 100 officers this year (those with the vetting forms) and up to another 100 in the 2016/17 financial year.

I just hope I make into next years batch. I would be frustrated if I thought I had to wait to April 2017.
    Was it only 100 people got their vetting forms? Surely they won't get 100 recruits out of that and they have to send out more vetting forms to those with below 78 AC?

Was it only 100 people got their vetting forms? Surely they won't get 100 recruits out of that and they have to send out more vetting forms to those with below 78 AC?

I don't think it's likely that they will get 100 recruits out of tnge 100 with papers as we still have vetting PCA and medical to finish so they are bound to call more forward

I thought that the failure rate for both vetting and medicals were low.

• Advertisement

The failure rate for vetting and medical is pretty low but with that said with a 25 % approximate overall failure rate for the PCA they could be looking to bring about another 25 forward from the high 70's

Advertisement