Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭chickidee

I'm not high 70's so that rules me out.

However, we've yet to hear about the possible PCA amendment. If they lower the push/pull threshold I'm sure the failure rate will decrease significantly.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Yes the failure rate for vetting and medicals is low. As for pca there are so many variables we don't know. There have only been 98 forms sent out for a start so would be some job to find 100 out of that. Failure rate of pca will depend on whether it stays as it currently is and how many of the 98 so far are female if that's where the high rate of failures were last time. How many of this 98 are physically fit etc ultimately we will never know this. I speculate the end of this month and the new financial year will draw campaign 1 to a close and get moving on the top scores of campaign 2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

tumbleweed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

Been quiet these last few days :( usually no news is good news tho?

This will probably explode when PCA letters start coming out....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

http:// www. belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/104m-psni-funding-gap-highlighted-31078799. html

Some more unhappy reading, although nothing really we didnt already know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Razer33 wrote: »
    http:// www. belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/104m-psni-funding-gap-highlighted-31078799. html

Some more unhappy reading, although nothing really we didnt already know.

When is there any good news! It's been nothing but bad news from the word go... Beginning to give up hope to be honest

They've stated that the plan is to take sub-optimal recruitment of 100 officers per year.

This most likely means that we are going to have to wait to April 2016 and the next financial year, to see if our AC score is high enough to fall into the next bracket.

I don't relish the thought of waiting, but at least we aren't ruled out entirely.

Attrition rate for the 800 or so without vetting forms is bound to become huge if the wait is expected to be that long

I would be inclined to agree, however it may be possible that a lot of people who are no longer interested have failed to contact Recruitment to inform them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

chickidee wrote: »
    I would be inclined to agree, however it may be possible that a lot of people who are no longer interested have failed to contact Recruitment to inform them as such.

The majority of people won't 'lose interest' in the job, they'll just go about their lives in hope of a call further down the line

Which would be my advice having been placed in the last campaign before the recruitment freeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Doesn’t make good reading. So disappointing. I was so full of optimism last June when I applied and when I just scraped through the IST I thought that it maybe was for me because of how hard I found it. Thought I had failed it for sure.

This is something I've wanted to do since I was 15 or so and I don't know why it took me so long to apply (maybe I knew deep down I just wasn't ready for it) but it's just my luck when I do apply all this budget crap starts.

If they are going to take 100 odd this financial year and another 100 odd next financial year I still don’t know if I'll make it into the appointable band. As I said...just very disappointing.

I'll still keep an eye on here and attend PCA and fill out my vetting forms when the eventually arrive but I'm not holding out much hope anymore and not letting it take over. May have to head further afield.

A police federation article has echoed the shortfall in numbers

"We know 200 posts are to be lost over the next year and that recruitment falls far short of what’s required. What HMIC says is that this assessment is likely to be the beginning of a long period of retrenchment where the current strength of the service could reduce by almost a third unless urgent action is taken to reverse the slide. This will have a severe detrimental impact on both communities and the officers who serve them”

ww w.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31985994

I wonder if they could put money towards the recruitment instead??

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

countrycop wrote: »
    ww w.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31985994

I wonder if they could put money towards the recruitment instead??
    Doubtful, said on news that the Treasury may take all the money back leaving Storming with the bill for what's been spent so far (£12M) ie: even more money to divert from executive budgets to cover it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31985994
    the Treasury has made it clear that a funding package of £78m that it agreed to provide to help build the college may be withdrawn.

That would mean Stormont would have to foot the full bill itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

I'm fed up with it all to be honest. Its the job I've wanted basically my whole life and it's constantly out of my grasp.
    I shouldn't be but I'm actually quite bitter that people who just scraped a pass at their AC in 1309 are getting the call. It's not their fault at all! I'm to blame for failing my PCA by 2 seconds and now in campaign two, despite getting mid 70s that's probably not even going to be enough to get a spot!

Time to move on I think... With a heavy heart... I can't stay in a mediocre job I hate in the hope that there may be a tiny chance that in two years time recruitment takes off again.

Need to look at other long term career plans. Plan B here I come! (And I don't think plan b will be the prison service, which they are advertising starting at a measly £9 an hr!!)

I feel your frustration!! :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Huge congratulations to all who got that life-changing call.

Remember, from the time you set foot in Garnerville for familiarisation, you'll be seen as Peelers, so get your head straight from Day 1, remember you're constantly being watched when you're in training, and do your best to stay grey.

Some of you will still have your head spinning, so if you have any questions, drop me a PM and we'll chat.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Catdog33 wrote: »
    I'm fed up with it all to be honest. Its the job I've wanted basically my whole life and it's constantly out of my grasp.
    I shouldn't be but I'm actually quite bitter that people who just scraped a pass at their AC in 1309 are getting the call. It's not their fault at all! I'm to blame for failing my PCA by 2 seconds and now in campaign two, despite getting mid 70s that's probably not even going to be enough to get a spot!

Time to move on I think... With a heavy heart... I can't stay in a mediocre job I hate in the hope that there may be a tiny chance that in two years time recruitment takes off again.

Need to look at other long term career plans. Plan B here I come! (And I don't think plan b will be the prison service, which they are advertising starting at a measly £9 an hr!!)

Sorry to hear that, but the fact you feel bitter towards successful applicants irks me somewhat, you say they "just scraped a pass" at AC and are less deserving of a position than you?

If you had "scraped a pass" on the pca you would be in. Simple

The whole process is long and arduous, anyone that gets the call deserves it, as they met all the criteria, those that didn't succeed I hope they reapply when the opportunity arises

if hourly rate of pay means so much to you, you'll hardly be interested in campaign 2 on a salary of 19000 pa (approximately £9.36 ph)

Shield wrote: »
    Huge congratulations to all who got that life-changing call.

Remember, from the time you set foot in Garnerville for familiarisation, you'll be seen as Peelers, so get your head straight from Day 1, remember you're constantly being watched when you're in training, and do your best to stay grey.

Some of you will still have your head spinning, so if you have any questions, drop me a PM and we'll chat.

-Shield.

Are people receiving calls for 1405? There are still stages to complete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

pb82 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, but the fact you feel bitter towards successful applicants irks me somewhat, you say they "just scraped a pass" at AC and are less deserving of a position than you?

If you had "scraped a pass" on the pca you would be in. Simple

The whole process is long and arduous, anyone that gets the call deserves it, as they met all the criteria, those that didn't succeed I hope they reapply when the opportunity arises

if hourly rate of pay means so much to you, you'll hardly be interested in campaign 2 on a salary of 19000 pa (approximately £9.36 ph)

Agreed PB. I was low 60s in the first campaign and only just missed the cut off for vetting forms in the second campaign. The people getting calls now have put a year and a half of time/effort/work into this and as far as I'm concerned more than deserve it.

What score you get at ac is no guarantee of how you'll peform as an officer. A high score on essentially a paper exercise is no guarantee you'll be a decent officer, just like a lower score doesn't mean you won't thrive in the role. If you ever find yourself in GV or stationed I hope you have a bit more tact if youre ever looking for assistance from these low 60s / scraping a pass officers.

As for money I don't think you'll find anyone passionate about a career in the PSNI lists money as the incentive to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Some of the guys who got the call yesterday were the top scorers in campaign 2, just saying. The merit list is just a tool to have some form of order, everyone who passes, despite merit listing is capable of becoming a police officer. Stay the course people as I say ;) with this HMIC report out the PSNI need some form of structure in place for the following financial year, we will know a lot more by at the most the 30th of April. The report isn't overally critical which makes me think the chief has ordered this, to validate his point with numbers, and budgetary issues. I'm remaining positive.

With this saga regarding the physical too, will have effect on us folks. As in they're sorting that out too. The guys that got the phone call yesterday I'm sure were shocked as it was outta the blue, so it shows you how last minute everything is now, and this could be the same for us in 1405 also those calls are a lot sooner than the typical time frame, and one thing I did hear is it could be less in a squad but a bit more frequent, don't write yourselves off yet, don't wait mind you, but I firmly believe our time will come out of this. Remember folks two campaigns were to be going on as we speak for 770 odd recruits by now. Huge congratulations to the folks who got the call :) they've paid their dues.

I wasn't aware anyone in 1405 had even done the PCA I have sent vetting papers off and am waiting for a PCA date?
    Mega congrats to anyone gettingb taken in now I'm just a bit surprised that anyone from 1405 is progressing because I thought were were waiting for potential amendments to pca

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

I think what Highburylad meant was that some of the folks who got through had a low AC score in campaign 1 BUT had also applied for campaign 2 and scored significantly better, but made it through on their campaign 1 score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Suzuka wrote: »
    I think what Highburylad meant was that some of the folks who got through had a low AC score in campaign 1 BUT had also applied for campaign 2 and scored significantly better, but made it through on their campaign 1 score

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry folks, thanks Suzuka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Speaking from my own experience, I scraped through my AC in campaign one but got a mark from 'outstanding' at campaign two. Personally, I had a bad day and messed up my final exercise at my first attempt. And because of the long ardous wait, I wasn't going to let any of the stages in campaign two beat me, so one of the spots in the first squads was for me as far as I was concerned. I've now withdrawn from campaign two and opened a space up for someone.

You've scored mid 70s, Catdog, so you'll get your chance pretty soon. Just give it time and ride it out. And trust me, I know the waiting is a bollocks, but it'll be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

I wasn't aware anyone in 1405 had even done the PCA I have sent vetting papers off and am waiting for a PCA date?
    Mega congrats to anyone gettingb taken in now I'm just a bit surprised that anyone from 1405 is progressing because I thought were were waiting for potential amendments to pca

They haven't it was people in 1309 campaign that got the calls. Everyone is still waiting in 1405.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jackrabbit09

Surely if your heart is set on such a career, and you got through the ac surely it will pay off to hang on In there.
    I don't agree it's the right mind set to join purely for the money either.
    It's a lifestyle choice not to be taken lightly

Congrats and all the best to those guys that progressed in campaign 2. Hopefully I'm not far behind...

Surely if your heart is set on such a career, and you got through the ac surely it will pay off to hang on In there.
    I don't agree it's the right mind set to join purely for the money either.
    It's a lifestyle choice not to be taken lightly

Congrats and all the best to those guys that progressed in campaign 2. Hopefully I'm not far behind...

I agree- the job will either be exactly even with what I get now or potentially a little less- that's not the reason to join, if I don't get in this time I will keep applying and keep applying until I am too old to do so anymore

• Advertisement

I am in no way bitter towards successful applicants, but, perhaps speaking out of turn, what the previous poster meant was that the more taken in from campaign 1 heightened sense of hopelessness in 1405, in no way do i mean to detract from the achivements of others as i had my chance to be there.
    I think the general feeling in 1405 is sombre, and this leads to general frustration

Advertisement