Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Overtime is down by a fith this year so far according to news reports, which is good news I've been told (knock wood). It does seem that they are trying to claw as much money back as they can. Don't forget folks we're just coming out of the PSNI's busiest time around the 12th and we're only at the end of the month now, so things may start to pick up for everyone in the coming weeks and months. Fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaylu

I put in an FOI a few months ago and found out that a 72 AC score puts you around 220/230 on the merit list.

What are peoples thoughts on this, do you reckon they'll be recruiting 200+ constables and will make it as far as this down the list bfore sacking it?

There seems to be very little info about numbers online.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Well that's just for the list after AC. don't forget about people failing PCA vetting, medical etc and people that drop off deciding it's not for them anymore. So I would say (or hope!) a score of 72 would definitely get you a spot if you pass everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

But then again you have PCA repeats that means there won't be as many cut as previous years. Take it as it comes. Stop looking too far ahead. You'll drive yourself nuts, talking from experience here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Have to agree with driving yourself nuts thinking it over and over. Best to just get on with life and let it happen! I failed first campaign and it was gut wrenching! Saying that it helped me get the head down for the 2nd time around.

I think they tell people a conservative answer, as to not build up expectations. They went right down to the low 60's in the first campaign so fingers crossed they would do the same for this time around. Nature of recruitment is changing and you will have less drop outs if people are getting 2 goes at PCA especially as that was a big chopper of people last time around.

Anything worth doing isn't easy and this process definitely tests the old resolve. May last year we all applied... and lucky I am part of the first squad going in and that is after 15/16 months. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

I have a 60 score and I'm pretty hopeful it will happen at some stage! positive vibes only! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

Psni26 wrote: »
    I have a 60 score and I'm pretty hopeful it will happen at some stage! positive vibes only! Lol

Agreed!! This forum should be a negativity Free zone. We all come on here to share our stories and to build each other up and to get reassurance and peace of mind. I know we don't know eachother and I really hope everyone are who they genuinely say they are. We all have the same goal and someday we will ALL be coworkers together in one of the most rewarding careers you could have! Whether it's in a couple of months or else a couple of years. (I hope not the latter) Positive mental attitude will see us through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Exactly! Well said QueenP! I feel the exact same. Plus worrying and over analysing doesn't speed up time, just as long as we stay focussed and positive it will happen.

I'm fairly confident that everyone will get a shot at this campaign, just can't see them throwing a merit list away just like that, when they need numbers badly those that were taken on for the 1309 campaign have just replaced those that have retired whilst that process was going on, and bear in mind the last squad for 1309 went in the start of May first squad for 1405 is August, So that will be near four months without a squad going in; in that time 100 officers could retire or leave. Again campaign 2 seems to be as cumbersome as campaign 1, and I have heard more will be taken on than people are expecting, again just through the grapevine and nothing official, but I reckon we'll all be pleasantly surprised, just my opinion. The 12th was relatively quiet and overtime is down by a fith so they are saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

The 12th was relatively quiet and overtime is down by a fith so they are saving money.

I agree with this, but isn't it crazy that we are all thinking the 12th was quiet. Only a few days of riots by youths, a republican funeral and show of strength and a bomb explosion which was intended to kill PSNI officers.

Quite 12th, jobs a good'un! haha!

• Advertisement

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    I agree with this, but isn't it crazy that we are all thinking the 12th was quiet. Only a few days of riots by youths, a republican funeral and show of strength and a bomb explosion which was intended to kill PSNI officers.

Quite 12th, jobs a good'un! haha!

Oh yeah totally crazy, in comparison to what the police in this country have faced in previous years the 12th that passed there seems to have been a relative walk in the park, worst thing that could have happened for all of us in terms of recruitment is mutual aid would be called upon which couldve meant millions spent in the space of 48 hours which would severely dent or cease recruitment and thankfully that hasn't been the case. I always find it crazy dude, I had a sureal moment when I was driving past an area and I was pulling into a garage to get petrol and there was paramilitary flags flying everywhere and I seen like kids just walking dogs walking past and families out and about, normal folk, and these flags flying everywhere and I thought this is messed up but it seems to be the norm and accepted here, just made me think at far we have to go, bit of deep stuff there folks from me haha Mr philosophical lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

If you have to wait 12 weeks for a PCA repeat surely that basically puts your application on hold for 3 months? Therefore anyone passing the PCA who is a lower score at AC would actually go on the merit list before you and have a better chance of being called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Joe789 wrote: »
    If you have to wait 12 weeks for a PCA repeat surely that basically puts your application on hold for 3 months? Therefore anyone passing the PCA who is a lower score at AC would actually go on the merit list before you and have a better chance of being called?

Until that person passed the PCA then they'd jump you in the merit list as they'd have a higher AC score but you're right, people with lower AC scores will get in if they pass the PCA first time. And from what I hear you can take the PCA before the 12weeks is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

Mop a top wrote: »
    Until that person passed the PCA then they'd jump you in the merit list as they'd have a higher AC score but you're right, people with lower AC scores will get in if they pass the PCA first time. And from what I hear you can take the PCA before the 12weeks is up.

They offer a list of dates for support sessions and if you want to do it sooner you can go along to one of them and arrange an earlier retest with a PTI at that

Another week, I know folks on here are waiting on the call but for us forlorn folks down the queue lol, anybody reckon we may get a progressing letter this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭captain truth

Another week, I know folks on here are waiting on the call but for us forlorn folks down the queue lol, anybody reckon we may get a progressing letter this week?

I feel your frustration Highburylad, I really do. My concern is now that they have removed the push/pull and are offering a second attempt at the PCA (steps in the wrong direction) the attrition rate is going to be much lower, but at this point we can't know for sure how much attrition will change exactly.

But you have the right attitude and you deserve your shot!

I feel your frustration Highburylad, I really do. My concern is now that they have removed the push/pull and are offering a second attempt at the PCA (steps in the wrong direction) the attrition rate is going to be much lower, but at this point we can't know for sure how much attrition will change exactly.

But you have the right attitude and you deserve your shot!

Yeah I passed my PCA on Friday and I'm actually really anxious that this still might not happen for me because of all the PCA retakes and lack of push pull. There are still an awful lot of girls I saw struggling with push pull too! Although it's not scored you still have to do it so they can 'monitor' apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Yeah I passed my PCA on Friday and I'm actually really anxious that this still might not happen for me because of all the PCA retakes and lack of push pull. There are still an awful lot of girls I saw struggling with push pull too! Although it's not scored you still have to do it so they can 'monitor' apparently

I was worried about push pull removal affecting numbers too but think we'll all still be progressed, they need the numbers. I've only recently passed medical and trying to be patient again (think its too early for me to be in this batch of calls but I can't help hoping!). Letters / calls usually happen the same week / within a few days of each other so hoping the postman brings good news for Highbury & those waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bustermoon

Waiting for a letter of progression here too! AC score mid 60's so thinking it could still be a while yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭captain truth

In my opinion, removing the push pull is essentially saying that equality trumps quality. Thugs on the street are not going to go easier on someone (man or woman) who is weaker and less physically capable. Where is the logic?

• Advertisement

I totally agree with you there captain. The PTIs have been very keen to emphasise that too, that you are going to be faced with a big burly guy that you will inevitably have to wrestle with and he won't go easier because you're a woman!
    As a female myself I would want to feel confident that I am strong enough to deal with that situation otherwise you're putting your own life at risk

Catdog33 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you there captain. The PTIs have been very keen to emphasise that too, that you are going to be faced with a big burly guy that you will inevitably have to wrestle with and he won't go easier because you're a woman!
    As a female myself I would want to feel confident that I am strong enough to deal with that situation otherwise you're putting your own life at risk

Think that's a good way to look at it. Regardless of thoughts on removing push pull, it's up to each person to ensure they're in best physical condition for dealing with confrontation. I'm a girl too, and I know I will be ensuring I am.

Hoping a letter comes this week. Post has been and gone today and received nothing...'til tomorrow lol x

QueenP wrote: »
    Hoping a letter comes this week. Post has been and gone today and received nothing...'til tomorrow lol x

Lol keep an eye on email too incase you get online learning access first.

.S. wrote: »
    Lol keep an eye on email too incase you get online learning access first.

Thanks for that wee tip :) what times did you's receive the emails at?

Thanks for that wee tip :) what times did you's receive the emails at?

I got the letter first. Think email came through an afternoon few days later. Others in the next batch got email first though. All a waiting game no matter which you get first!

I had got online learning and PCA date before the progression letter arrived!

Cheers folks for the positive words :) yeah it has had me worried a bit regarding resits etc, I have heard more people will be taken on and I have heard they plan to fill garnerville up for the forseeable and distant future. The thing for me is the unknown I'm running my rear off and training in the gym as I've always done however I've upt the ante and I'm just hoping it's not for nothing, its very hard to maintain the focus when it's kinda iffy whether or not I and the rest of us get called.

I hate speaking like this because my scoring is a decent scoring and people on my score last year will be out an all several months already, and I hate sounding selfish or whatever as there is folks down the order even from myself who I know will be equally as good as folks in the first squad, in fact I heard through the grapevine one of the best squads in garnerville has been one of the last to get called in; but at the same time I go let me have my shot haha. I do believe movement will happen either way though, just talking guff to get the days through lol.

As a curly haired ginger girl once sang "tomorrow tomorrowwww"

You are so right though Highbury, I'm losing momentum with my training again.

I have a slight case of ocd when it comes to making plans and being organised. This goes against everything I am comfortable with lol. I have a couple of friends getting married next year and I'm afraid to commit to the hen do's away incase I could be lucky enough to be in, even the weddings! But one thing is for sure they'd understand me missing them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

What stage are you at Highbury and Queen P?

Advertisement