Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I think I've lost it haha, I'm like a robot now emotionless lol

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

fish2690 wrote: »
    Coming up to 12 weeks now P. Driving me mad.

thats like 3 months? Jeeeepers any wonder I can't see where my summer went. It was a daily blur of asking "ANY POST TODAY MUM?"

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

I think I've lost it haha, I'm like a robot now emotionless lol

That's good practice for when you get in Highburylad!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

I wonder how many they process in each batch. We know there were about 100 who got processed at the beginning when the rest of us got the letters halting the process. Then obviously they have another three batches after that which have been processed. Just curious as to how many have been processed. Since we've had three intakes totalling probably between 120-140 people? The last batch obviously still have to complete medicals but then there's those who have missed out in previous calls.

Could it be 100 at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Catdog33 wrote: »
    I wonder how many they process in each batch. We know there were about 100 who got processed at the beginning when the rest of us got the letters halting the process. Then obviously they have another three batches after that which have been processed. Just curious as to how many have been processed. Since we've had three intakes totalling probably between 120-140 people? The last batch obviously still have to complete medicals but then there's those who have missed out in previous calls.

Could it be 100 at a time?

I'm just below the cut off point and I saw an FOI that there were around 400 with a score higher than mine. So yea around 100 per batch. No wonder there is a hold up.

• Advertisement

fish2690 wrote: »
    I'm just below the cut off point and I saw an FOI that there were around 400 with a score higher than mine. So yea around 100 per batch. No wonder there is a hold up.

Ditto, this has been excruciating lol, crazy to think that only 1 squad is in so far I think squad 2 will be starting sometime next week maybe or there after but yeah I'm pretty certain only 1 squad as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Bored to tears in my job at the minute. I need something to happen soon with this campaign to give me even the slightest bit of hope!

Progression letter... Progression letter... Oh where art thou progression letter??!!

As I said... bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

WannabePC wrote: »
    Bored to tears in my job at the minute. I need something to happen soon with this campaign to give me even the slightest bit of hope!

Progression letter... Progression letter... Oh where art thou progression letter??!!

As I said... bored!

LOL join the club!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mk1234

I rang HR to try and find out some information..... I've a score between 64-66, the girl didn't sound too confident when she told me she was unsure if they would be going down to my score on the merit list. Its a right kick in the teeth, made worse by months of waiting! PSNI recruitment is a joke!

Guess ill just have to give it another crack come 30th September 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

You can't really blame recruitment. They are allocated with a budget and have to work within those means and are limited in what they can disclose.

It's probably difficult for them to predict how far they will get down the list. 900 people is a lot to get through.

Chin up, I know it's horrible having to wait but I'm sure your time will come!

• Advertisement

HR usually give generic responses if they don't know anything, they are told at the very last minute I've been told, so it literally comes now from the top to go ahead with it. It sucks so much not knowing and were other forces try to match candidate expectation here it's kinda up the left and to change the pca and offer resits in the middle of recruitment doesn't help, but because last time they had less than what they wanted passing the AC process, at times I believe the didn't know if they were going to get the full amount needed. So they combated that with having a bigger merit pool this campaign, however they introduced an adjusted pca with a resit during the middle of it. It sucks but that's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

I've heard from reliable sources a squad a month is on the books well into the new year and they want a lot going through, but again who knows, right now I'm pretty deflated about the process and have little motivation going into this new one, however I will apply and give it my all, but I'm worried now this will be the same with campaign 3 were the merit pool will be a lot smaller because of resits etc or the bench mark will be significantly higher to make it because of that, I heard they are gonna be introducing a tv ad too for this campaign so that will garner more attention so who knows. Not to put a downer on anything just trying to be more pragmatic and realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

mk1234 wrote: »
    I rang HR to try and find out some information..... I've a score between 64-66, the girl didn't sound too confident when she told me she was unsure if they would be going down to my score on the merit list. Its a right kick in the teeth, made worse by months of waiting! PSNI recruitment is a joke!

Guess ill just have to give it another crack come 30th September 😕

Hi my lovely, I'm in your AC bracket and tbh when I heard what some of the top AC scores that were being processed they were much higher than in C1 that I made up my mind then that although I passed the AC it just wasn't good enough and just let it go. Having been through C1 and knowing what the fail rate was on the PCA and then hearing that they're giving retests I definitely knew to let C2 go. I haven't given up on it but I just thought there's such a slim chance this time round with the changes and top scores that I'd concentrate on something else for a while and wait on C3. If it happens it happens. Not really recruitments fault. They can't say what scores they'll get down to cos they don't know how many will fail PCA retests and medicals besides if they said a score and didn't reach it they might get in bother, they're just covering their arses. Didn't you get a letter ages ago saying your application would not be being processed further?

I'd definitely focus on C3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mk1234

Mop a top wrote: »
    Hi my lovely, I'm in your AC bracket and tbh when I heard what some of the top AC scores that were being processed they were much higher than in C1 that I made up my mind then that although I passed the AC it just wasn't good enough and just let it go. Having been through C1 and knowing what the fail rate was on the PCA and then hearing that they're giving retested I definitely knew to let C2 go. I haven't given up on it but I just thought there's such a slim chance this time round with the changes and top scores that is concentrate on something else for a while and wait on C3. If it happens it happens. Not really recruitments fault. They can't say what scores they'll get down to cos they don't know how many will fail PCA retests and medical a besides if they said a score and didn't reach it they might in bother, they're just covering their arses. Didn't you get a letter ages ago saying your application would not be being processed further?

I'd definitely focus on C3 :)

yeah I completely understand what you're saying, but my god it gets frustrating! This is now my 5th or 6th attempt and my patience with the whole process is really running thin, like many of you guys id give an arm and a leg to get this job! I did receive the letter I guess im just looking for some sort of hope that the rest of us will get processed.

Suppose the best bet is to forget about 1405 and focus on C3 ehh lol

Thankfully I wasn't in a position to apply any sooner than 2013. That campaign really taught me a lot about myself, patience with things directly effecting me is pretty much non existent so I really feel for you. They say good things come to those who wait and it happens when it's supposed to. I had a lot of **** going on around me the last 2 campaigns and I'm in a much happier and better space now so perhaps it just wasn't meant to happen until now for me and hopefully you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 coolhand50

Its so frustrating the whole thing and i pity anyone in the same boat as myself or even worse, being maybe in 4 and in some cases 6 campaigns. disheartening to hear a tv advert now also lol! the numbers are astronomical as it is. Im wayyyy back on my AC score, cant get much lower lets say. the most annoying thing is that i know i messed up majorly on one part of it and would have been nearer the 70 mark if i kept my wits about me. the passmark is 60....and to know that passing the goddamn thing but still not getting a shot is majorly demeaning.
    as much as we dont like to admit it to ourselves your life is put on hold for this, and you cant help it! some of us are stuck in a job going nowhere knowing we could make excellent officers. for me it took me to hit my mid 20s to decide i wanted to do something worthwhile. not to mention theres surely a few that considered going back to retrain or educate themselves at maybe universities...well thats also a no go as you cant commit to a 3 year course because this is the job we all really want.
    as disheartening as it is, yes i will apply for campaign 3, and yes i will work as hard as i can to get it! as i said to pass a test but to no avail is extremely frustrating.
    as you can probably imagine my house is an "uneasy like sunday morning" zone.
    cheers for reading and listening guys. sometimes reading these boards and knowing im not alone is a bit of therapy for me from driving myself insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

coolhand50 wrote: »
    Its so frustrating the whole thing and i pity anyone in the same boat as myself or even worse, being maybe in 4 and in some cases 6 campaigns. disheartening to hear a tv advert now also lol! the numbers are astronomical as it is. Im wayyyy back on my AC score, cant get much lower lets say. the most annoying thing is that i know i messed up majorly on one part of it and would have been nearer the 70 mark if i kept my wits about me. the passmark is 60....and to know that passing the goddamn thing but still not getting a shot is majorly demeaning.
    as much as we dont like to admit it to ourselves your life is put on hold for this, and you cant help it! some of us are stuck in a job going nowhere knowing we could make excellent officers. for me it took me to hit my mid 20s to decide i wanted to do something worthwhile. not to mention theres surely a few that considered going back to retrain or educate themselves at maybe universities...well thats also a no go as you cant commit to a 3 year course because this is the job we all really want.
    as disheartening as it is, yes i will apply for campaign 3, and yes i will work as hard as i can to get it! as i said to pass a test but to no avail is extremely frustrating.
    cheers for reading and listening guys. sometimes reading these boards and knowing im not alone is a bit of therapy for me from driving myself insane!

You are 100% correct, these boards have kept me sane from 2013 and campaign 1. I would love to know an answer like we got from the CC in campaign 1 when he was asked how many officers would be recruited, hopefully he will do another Twitter session again.

I'm looking forward to reapplying for campaign 3, it's the buzz around it, preparing for the IST and getting yourself ready for the AC. Even though the waiting is tough, think about it in 10 years time, when hopefully we are all standing on the front line, realising that it was all worth it...

If it's meant to be, it will be. If you want this job, you won't give up and get fed up waiting for months, think of the people who had to wait years between campaigns? I think having 3 in 2 years, we are pretty lucky.

Has anyone requested an FOI about exact numbers?

Think the last FOI stated that numbers for this campaign have not been finalised.

http://www.psni.police.uk/psni_recruitment_2015.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

coolhand50 wrote: »

I feel your pain. I've lost count of the campaigns I have been through, I allowed myself to stop and wait for a crack at the job, my AC score is as close to 60 as you can get so I don't hold hope for a letter. Its taken 10 years to finally find a job that may tempt me away from stalking the PSNI recruitment page. I will still apply on 30th September, I just can't give up hope on wearing the green someday, but I think I am finally in a position where if it doesn't happen I will cope. Don't wait on the PSNI mate, let it come to you.

Just noticed no pca video on the psni YouTube channel anymore it's been taken down and has been taken down on the JoinPSNI website??? Christ only knows what this means now. I don't wanna jump to any conclusions but if they reaccess the pca it would only be making it easier and if that is the case really what is the point in doing a pca and I'm pro pca.

Probably because they have taken out the push/pull. I'm guessing it's staying that way for the new campaign. I suppose they just have to edit that but out?

• Advertisement

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Probably because they have taken out the push/pull. I'm guessing it's staying that way for the new campaign. I suppose they just have to edit that but out?

That's a good point CD, hope so.

I was thinking along this lines CD too. Let's hope. I really wish they'd go back to the C1 PCA. I know not everyone will agree but you all know my view point on us chicks and the PCA. At least it was one way to cut numbers and giving the lower scoring AC's a chance.

Oh and another Facebook gem today. Patience isn't the ability to wait, it's having a good attitude while you wait. Obviously the person who penned that wasn't applying for PSNI!!!! Makes you want to puke right lmao :P

I totally agree mop. It's one thing to offer resits but I really don't think the push/pull should be cut as well. If you can't manage to pass it then you really wouldn't have the strength required to wrestle with a pretty less than average male let alone a big burly body builder type. That's the aspect that shocks me the most. Resits I sort of understand because there could be reasons you haven't performed your best on the day, but I still think it should have been left alone. And I'm speaking as a girl who failed it by 2 seconds last year and I had to accept that, move on and train harder this campaign and I passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

Reading the induction pack I think it states that we have to pass the fitness test again during training. Perhaps they might be reverting back to previous campaigns where the push pull will be included with that but as you say I think it's better to have it before we go in to give others who can pass it a better chance.

I'm going to go against the grain (whilst I still can!) and say that I personally think that there is too much emphasis being placed on the pca.

Yes, physical fitness is an important entry standard and has a wider impact in terms of general state of health and well-being. I won't argue with that. However, I'm sure you'll find a number of officers in the organisation who are more office based and therefore don't have the same requirement in terms of overall fitness. My point is that just because someone can't manage 26kg or whip round the course in 3.54 doesn't mean that they won't be effective officers or have a successful career in the long term.

Everybody will have their strong points. You might get someone who is particularly fit & strong coming into the organisation but ends up struggling with paperwork/stress/ long hours etc. - which are just as important. I don't think any of us know at this stage how we will perform in the role and how the job will affect us.

I do ultimately feel bad that there is so much made of the pca. Not least because we now know that women are going through who haven't been required to meet 26kg in this campaign. I just hope that people don't take the attitude that one of their squad mates doesn't deserve to be there because they didn't meet last years standard?

I think with all the budget cutting they'll be wanting as they say in the horsey world "a good all rounder" rather than beat cops and desk jockeys and personally I think they'll get that if they kept the PCA as per C1 and part of the recruitment. I totally agree that just cos you pass a PCA doesn't mean you're capable of the job but I think it's as much mental as well as physical testing with the PCA so perhaps it would go a little to prove you can mentally cope with the stresses.

I still think the real test of mettle will be how you cope with the workload and everything that comes with it on a day-to-day basis.

I spent time reading through all the Police Ombudsman's reports as part of the on-line learning, and it appears that a certain number related to unmanageable workload. There is only one case I read in which a police woman stated that she had to use her CS Spray as she couldn't restrain someone herself due to their size. In the same incident, her male counterparts also stated that they had difficulty in restraining the person as they were struggling so much.

Maybe I'll stand corrected. I guess time will tell!

I wouldn't worry if anyone feels that others will look at them differently because they got in without the push pull, for like 10 years there was no pca involved at all pre garnerville hence why we're all being put through the ringer lol So there is hundreds maybe thousands that didnt have to do it prior to all of us. As far as I know you have to do the pca at the end of your course, with the intention of beating your previous time, the push pull i think is still in the final pca before passing out too, and you get 2 attempts at it. You will also have to do the pca once in for promotions, and transfers also. See if I'm honest my issue is more with them changing things half way through a campaign after theyve produced a bigger merit pool, because the previous one was smaller, to cover themselves because of the previous attrition rate.

If you go through say an English home office force or welsh or Scottish force they all say about meeting candidate expentency theyre aim is to meet candidate expentency of getting a job. So they dont string people along, they talk about it loosely in certain a parts of the winsor report and crime commissioner reports, you can see some of them on police oracle. Just to make it fairer on people and give them a real expectation, if that makes sense lol. It's not the fact theyve reassessed the pca as it gives everyone a real chance at this career, which im for because its not all about physicallity, however i do believe its a big part, hence why we have officers who are offered medical retirements etc albeit for various reasons. Its more the fact they made a bigger merit pool because the pca was dropping numbers in the previous campaign, if again that makes any sense lol, im trying to be liberal here, may be failing at it haha. Its just we have the guts of 500 people still waiting on movement, and we all could potentially be not used, I do believe there will be more movement for sure for us as I've heard positive things but it doesn't seem to be happening soon at this rate lol. My worse fear is being strung along for this period of time with no intention of using me as I know many others will be feeling the same, its the nature of the beast I suppose, still sucks lol, hope that makes sense to some lol. I guess I'm more frustrated at the top dogs, just because its like "let's do this" but no regard is taken for the large merit pool and the expectations of people placed on it, maybe they don't care because we're all UID's, but unfortunately I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

I'm going to go against the grain (whilst I still can!) and say that I personally think that there is too much emphasis being placed on the pca.

Yes, physical fitness is an important entry standard and has a wider impact in terms of general state of health and well-being. I won't argue with that. However, I'm sure you'll find a number of officers in the organisation who are more office based and therefore don't have the same requirement in terms of overall fitness. My point is that just because someone can't manage 26kg or whip round the course in 3.54 doesn't mean that they won't be effective officers or have a successful career in the long term.

Everybody will have their strong points. You might get someone who is particularly fit & strong coming into the organisation but ends up struggling with paperwork/stress/ long hours etc. - which are just as important. I don't think any of us know at this stage how we will perform in the role and how the job will affect us.

I do ultimately feel bad that there is so much made of the pca. Not least because we now know that women are going through who haven't been required to meet 26kg in this campaign. I just hope that people don't take the attitude that one of their squad mates doesn't deserve to be there because they didn't meet last years standard?

I think the PCA should be emphasised. Yes, you can branch out in different avenues but you join as a Constable and that's your platform. Just as with the Armed Forces no matter what trade you plan to go on to every recruit goes through basic training and a yearly fitness test.

It could only be a good thing to emphasise fitness and maintain that level thoughout your career. Who doesn't walk by a few officers and think, "I'd like to see him catch me!". It looks professional from the outside and also shows commitment from wannabe Constables to train for and pass a physical element.

On your last point - I do think it is ridiculous moving the bar for the PCA over 3 different campaigns. If the issue was the lack of females passing the course then training for the physical competences of the job could be addressed in training, while there is a standard fitness test such as a bleep test and push up/sit ups that males/females and also age limits are expected to achieve to pass. Much like, again, the Armed Forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭captain truth

Couldn't agree more Joe. It should be about quality. If you want the job, you will push yourself to meet the required physical standard.

Advertisement