Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Joe789 wrote: »
    I think the PCA should be emphasised. Yes, you can branch out in different avenues but you join as a Constable and that's your platform. Just as with the Armed Forces no matter what trade you plan to go on to every recruit goes through basic training and a yearly fitness test.

It could only be a good thing to emphasise fitness and maintain that level thoughout your career. Who doesn't walk by a few officers and think, "I'd like to see him catch me!". It looks professional from the outside and also shows commitment from wannabe Constables to train for and pass a physical element.

On your last point - I do think it is ridiculous moving the bar for the PCA over 3 different campaigns. If the issue was the lack of females passing the course then training for the physical competences of the job could be addressed in training, while there is a standard fitness test such as a bleep test and push up/sit ups that males/females and also age limits are expected to achieve to pass. Much like, again, the Armed Forces.

Totally agree with you, tbh I've even had a snigger at some of the serving officers and thought the same! As for the females not passing, I did it twice and I'm mid 30's, it's as much training as it is mind over matter, they're just not thick in the head as me lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

I can see other's points of view, and they may well be perfectly valid points.

My only concern was that people seem to be frustrated with the changes to the pca over the last number of months in terms of the push/pull aspect, and this has led them to now question the physical ability/calibre of those going through into Garnerville.

Bottom line now is; whether you gain a place in campaign 2, or campaign 3 - you will be in a squad with people who have not had to achieve a push/pull score of 26kg. That's just how it is. What I didn't like is some of the previous comments surrounding the changes, as I couldn't help but find them slightly untactful to those people who have now gained a place on less than 26kg!

Yes, women who didn't meet the 26kg may well struggle to restrain or deal with an average sized male. I managed the 26, but I'm still tiny and may well struggle just as much.

I don't think being able to manage a couple extra kg's on the push/pull is going to make a huge difference if women are faced with someone two or three times their size. - and it is only a couple of extra kg's. The girls next to me managed 22 & 24kg. What's a few Kilograms at the end of the day?

I'm certainly not of the opinion that I'm more deserving of a place than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭captain truth

In my opinion 26kg is insufficient. I am a 64kg male below average height and I scored between 40-45kg on my PCA. I am not big, but I am strong because I believe you need to have a degree of physical power. Size is irrelevant, determination to improve is what counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dani85

I had my first attempt to do my PCA in May (in which the push/pull element was due to be included in the PCA) but I had to cancel it due to damaged tendons in my wrist because I was over-lifting weights - this was all in order to push myself to pass the push/pull.... And although I think of myself as being relatively fit and healthy, I can honestly say that due to the pressure that I put on myself to pass the push/pull, I didn't do as much cardio training as I should have to actually pass the rest of the course.
    I had my PCA re-scheduled for 2 weeks ago and I failed the 3 circuits but got 29kgf on the push/pull- which now doesn't even count anymore!
    I was so annoyed with myself, but also annoyed that the goal posts had been moved, by taking the pass/fail element out of the PCA for the push/pull.
    Now I'm working myself to the bone to train for the 3 laps of the circuit and giving it another go in my resit, but I'm just hoping they don't changed their minds again and bring some other element into the PCA before my resit!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Dani85 wrote: »
    I had my first attempt to do my PCA in May (in which the push/pull element was due to be included in the PCA) but I had to cancel it due to damaged tendons in my wrist because I was over-lifting weights - this was all in order to push myself to pass the push/pull.... And although I think of myself as being relatively fit and healthy, I can honestly say that due to the pressure that I put on myself to pass the push/pull, I didn't do as much cardio training as I should have to actually pass the rest of the course.
    I had my PCA re-scheduled for 2 weeks ago and I failed the 3 circuits but got 29kgf on the push/pull- which now doesn't even count anymore!
    I was so annoyed with myself, but also annoyed that the goal posts had been moved, by taking the pass/fail element out of the PCA for the push/pull.
    Now I'm working myself to the bone to train for the 3 laps of the circuit and giving it another go in my resit, but I'm just hoping they don't changed their minds again and bring some other element into the PCA before my resit!

Round about when is your resit?

• Advertisement

fish2690 wrote: »
    Round about when is your resit?

It's in December fish. Although I can resit it before then if I want to. Not sure whether that's a wise idea or not though but I hate waiting! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Dani85 wrote: »
    It's in December fish. Although I can resit it before then if I want to. Not sure whether that's a wise idea or not though but I hate waiting! Lol!

I would take as much time to prepare again Dani, you have a place in Garnerville waiting for you, otherwise they wouldn't offer the resit, waiting is a nightmare us poor sods have done a lot of it, but at the same you wanna get it right, I firmly believe you will have it in the bag this time, you know what to expect and its yours for the taking.

Can I ask does anyone know if resit pcas are done with people doing pcas for the first time?

Can I ask does anyone know if resit pcas are done with people doing pcas for the first time?

Yes highburylad, when I done my PCA for the first time, there were 2 girls there that were resitting.

Thanks for the advice by the way - going to hold off until Dec :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

For the sake of my eyes, can we please use paragraphs? I have to read every post in here, and my eyes bleed when there's blocks of text 10+ lines deep.

Thanking you one and all.

-Shield.

• Advertisement

In addition to what shield said. Some grammar tips! "I seen" is "I saw" and "I done" is "I did".

Apologies, I used to teach English at school and bad grammar really grinds my gears!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Ghost15

Anyone know the likelihood of receiving vetting forms with an AC score of 64-67?
    Should I give up hope on c2 and just focus on c3?
    Just after reading these posts it doesn't seem likely with resits for PCA etc being offered.
    Just want to know to put myself out of my misery lol

DaveNi wrote: »

I never understood why the Patten number of 7500 was thrown away, we aren't like the rest of the uk and police deal with terrorist threats on a constant basis and the number of devices fortunately found hasn't went down I think it's increased actually over the past two years. Hopefully something will give I think it has to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Ghost15 wrote: »
    Anyone know the likelihood of receiving vetting forms with an AC score of 64-67?
    Should I give up hope on c2 and just focus on c3?
    Just after reading these posts it doesn't seem likely with resits for PCA etc being offered.
    Just want to know to put myself out of my misery lol

I'm in the same boat as you. Well in my eyes I'm still standing on the dock watching the QE C2 sail into the sunset. I'm still staying relatively fit in case I'm wrong but I've set my eyes on C3.

If you do the same as me and vetting papers magically land on your door step sure it's an added bonus and a nice surprise you won't decline and if they don't then you haven't tortured yourself too much ;) well that's my "logic"

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Plucked up the courage to phone HR! Vetting has cleared :) so pleased dunno what I'll be like when I pass medical and get the call, Cheshire Cat comes to mind today

Derob wrote: »
    Plucked up the courage to phone HR! Vetting has cleared :) so pleased dunno what I'll be like when I pass medical and get the call, Cheshire Cat comes to mind today

Great job Derob! Is your medical soon?

Great job Derob! Is your medical soon?

First half of October Captain, wish it was sooner, note to anyone who is as impatient as me, don't apply to join psni lol

• Registered Users Posts: 30 aloha2711

Hi everyone
    This is my first post!
    Wondering if someone can help - getting close to medical time and I wanted to contact someone to see if my vetting has cleared.
    Does anyone have the email address?
    Many thanks :)

• Advertisement

aloha2711 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    This is my first post!
    Wondering if someone can help - getting close to medical time and I wanted to contact someone to see if my vetting has cleared.
    Does anyone have the email address?
    Many thanks :)

Hi there, phone 101 and ask to be put through to HR and speak to recruitment, have you UID number as they will ask you to confirm this and will tell you whether you have passed or if it's still pending

Grand, thanks!
    Bit scared to though! lol
    I'll be totally depressed if it's still pending! Can't hack all this hanging about!

Grand, thanks!
    Bit scared to though! lol
    I'll be totally depressed if it's still pending! Can't hack all this hanging about!

I know the feeling I was same last week but just decided to do it this morning and have to say done a little happy dance when I heard I had passed

Lol! Just right you are too. Hopefully I'll be doing the same, once I pluck up the courage to ring them.

Result! Vetting passed! :)

Result! Vetting passed! :)

Admit it you danced ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

Bugger I just rang myself, vetting is still ongoing, I suppose that's the joy of having to rely on the Garda as I am from the south.

StingrayGC wrote: »
    Bugger I just rang myself, vetting is still ongoing, I suppose that's the joy of having to rely on the Garda as I am from the south.

Chin up, they are very slow had to deal with them recently in work to get a crime reference took them three months to get it to me and I had to write a letter requesting it, quick call to Psni and you get it straight awAy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Midgetgem84

Good stuff lads getting the vetting through...its one of those things that trundles on in the background that you have no control over and you have no clue as to how it's going! Also one of those things that can put you outta the running very easily.

Find out about my own next week too so fingers crossed I'll be dancing too lol

• Advertisement

Derob wrote: »
    Admit it you danced ;)

Lol! I totally admit to having a wee boogie!
    Its another thing you can check off on the mental tick list!

Advertisement