Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'd be happy if they did, my AC score is higher and I think folk in C2 are in GV with my score but I seriously doubt it. How could they? It's been almost 10 months since my PCA and I was one of the last. They sent a letter saying C1 merit list was now closed. I can't see how they'd reopen it unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

Mop a top wrote: »
    I'd be happy if they did, my AC score is higher and I think folk in C2 are in GV with my score but I seriously doubt it. How could they? It's been almost 10 months since my PCA and I was one of the last. They sent a letter saying C1 merit list was now closed. I can't see how they'd reopen it unfortunately :(

I just couldn't see them going back to C1 Merit list. All this Rumor about numbers no doubt happens every campaign, C1 each intake was agreed days before the calls went out, I think there was 11 intakes in C1? In my view, anyone who got vetting forms recently and if they pass everything else will get a call in March for April intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bustermoon

Best make that a diet coke actually Mop - PCA date just arrived!

Bustermoon wrote: »

'Slowly closes biscuit tin'.....

Before Christmas or after?

• Advertisement

DaveNi wrote: »
    Before Christmas or after?

After, thankfully long enough to have the turkey and shloer and get back out training. Seems to be the standard amount of notice but just enough to hopefully squeeze a medical in before the end of jan

PCA invite arrived....

Time to step up the training....

Can't make the familiarisation event though.. Shouldn't be too bad as did PCA 11 months ago.

PCA invite arrived....

Time to step up the training....

Can't make the familiarisation event though.. Shouldn't be too bad as did PCA 11 months ago.

I can't make the familiarisation either, was going to ring to see if there is another one in Jan I could go to before the pca or do you get a brief run through before the actual event? Mainly worried does it look bad if I don't go or show interest in the familiarisation?

FFS!!!!! I'm stuck at work until 9:30 tonight. No postman before I left :(:(

Diet coke?!?! No bloody way.

FFS!!!!! I'm stuck at work until 9:30 tonight. No postman before I left :(:(

Diet coke?!?! No bloody way.

Hopefully good news to come home to!!! Reckon the longer this goes on it'll not be diet coke I'm ordering!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

I never went to my familiarisation. It doesn't make you look bad at all. Some people can't get off work etc and they expect and appreciate that. Those who were worrying about the chief cons figures for recruitment, trust me, don't panic. If you're this far in having done PCA and medical etc with online learning then you will be progressed. It costs them too much money and they only progress a batch at a time when they know they have to funds to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

I can't make the familiarisation either, was going to ring to see if there is another one in Jan I could go to before the pca or do you get a brief run through before the actual event? Mainly worried does it look bad if I don't go or show interest in the familiarisation?

Don't worry about fam. Only good thing is you get a free go at push/pull. It's a different feeling doing it post PCA. You will get a demo before your PCA and the staff are very good at running through it. Not worth burning a leave day. Watch it on YouTube.

Don't worry about fam. Only good thing is you get a free go at push/pull. It's a different feeling doing it post PCA. You will get a demo before your PCA and the staff are very good at running through it. Not worth burning a leave day. Watch it on YouTube.

Do you have to do the push and pull even though it doesn't count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Do you have to do the push and pull even though it doesn't count?

Yeah dude, you do it at the familiarisation and then again straight away after the pca course on the actual day, they use it to track progress through Garnerville I'm assuming they put you on a programme of some description whilst in there.

Yeah dude, you do it at the familiarisation and then again straight away after the pca course on the actual day, they use it to track progress through Garnerville I'm assuming they put you on a programme of some description whilst in there.

Ah right, at least it's not like Campaign 1 where you have to bust out 3 minutes of hell and then 30 seconds of that devil machine haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

I never went to my familiarisation. It doesn't make you look bad at all. Some people can't get off work etc and they expect and appreciate that. Those who were worrying about the chief cons figures for recruitment, trust me, don't panic. If you're this far in having done PCA and medical etc with online learning then you will be progressed. It costs them too much money and they only progress a batch at a time when they know they have to funds to do so.

This is NOT true. Our squad got funding approved the day before the phone calls went out.

Ah right, at least it's not like Campaign 1 where you have to bust out 3 minutes of hell and then 30 seconds of that devil machine haha.

Oh you do dude, as soon as you pass the final cones they are like right come on hurry up, and then its busting it out like a crazed mofo, Lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I once saw someone bust out 90 on that machine. The entire machine was moving around. Insane strength.

Shield wrote: »
    I once saw someone bust out 90 on that machine. The entire machine was moving around. Insane strength.

Haha that's insane, proper prehistoric man strength lol.

Oh you do dude, as soon as you pass the final cones they are like right come on hurry up, and then its busting it out like a crazed mofo, Lol.

Yeah I passed PCA in campaign 1, although I thought that the push pull didn't count towards it anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Ghost15

Yeah I passed PCA in campaign 1, although I thought that the push pull didn't count towards it anymore

It doesn't count with regards to passing or failing your PCA.. that is solely down to your timing now.
    However you are made to do the push /pull before your PCA starts (a score is noted) and then again straight after the 3 laps

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Tinfoilcap wrote: »
    This is NOT true. Our squad got funding approved the day before the phone calls went out.

Interesting as that came from HR. They rarely know when they will have funds to bring people through but told us that they only progress people when they have positions to fill. so unless you were near the end of the batch of a campaign then I'm not sure who told you that and where it came from

I was so bad! Phoned mum and she went and checked. Guess that cheeseburger will have to wait Shield!!!! :D sooner than I thought. I thought we'd be a week or 2 after!!! Can not wait!!!! Push pull BEFORE and after?!?! Don't like that :( anyone going to the familiarisation session?

I was so bad! Phoned mum and she went and checked. Guess that cheeseburger will have to wait Shield!!!! :D sooner than I thought. I thought we'd be a week or 2 after!!! Can not wait!!!! Push pull BEFORE and after?!?! Don't like that :( anyone going to the familiarisation session?

Sooner than you thought?... Do you mean the actual PCA date?

Sooner than you thought?... Do you mean the actual PCA date?

Yeah thought it would be towards the end of the month

Yeah thought it would be towards the end of the month

Oh that's ok... I thought you maybe meant like in the next couple of weeks haha

Hell no!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

I am in same boat with regards to familiarisation and pca date both in the next 5 weeks or so.

Problem is, I work in accountancy and the two months of the year you are not allowed holidays (besides the Christmas week off) is December and January.

How important is the familiarisation and do you get to try the actual course on that day?

On pca I take it you are just thrown straight in without getting an idea of how it all works? are there penalties for hitting cones or going outside the lines etc?

I worry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Midgetgem84

I am in same boat with regards to familiarisation and pca date both in the next 5 weeks or so.

Problem is, I work in accountancy and the two months of the year you are not allowed holidays (besides the Christmas week off) is December and January.

How important is the familiarisation and do you get to try the actual course on that day?

On pca I take it you are just thrown straight in without getting an idea of how it all works? are there penalties for hitting cones or going outside the lines etc?

I worry :(

Even if you don't get to the familiarisation session (which i didn't either) the staff will still give you a small amount of time to get yourself used to the course.

All I would say is this, don't panic. If you've a good bit of fitness about you you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Can't say what they're doing in C2 but I attended 2 PCA's and the familiarisations and they didn't change. Hopefully someone from C2 who's already done it can confirm if there's any differences.

At the familiarisations you're all brought into the hall and the PT will walk around the course with you all and demonstrate the course and you've a chance to ask questions. Then you get a chance to have a play on all the obstacles. You can go around it as a course but no more than twice and you're not allowed to time yourself. You can attempt each obstacle as many times as you like. They also do a very good demo on the push/pull and you can have a go at that too. It's a good opportunity to chat the the PT's to get an idea if you're training is enough.

On the day of the test the same thing kind of happens, you're all walked around the course and then you're given an opportunity to try a few obstacles and warm up before you begin. They did ask if everyone had attended a familiarisation at my PCA's so I'm not sure what they'd o if you haven't, presumably give you a little longer or more explanation, not sure tbh.

IF you don't complete each obstacle correctly they make you redo it and it eats away at your time. If you know down pokes you need to wait for them to reset them before trying again. Same with the cone weave. Ideally you want to do it clean but others have made mistakes and still passed.

Don't be panicking, no point! Plus you've always got the repeat if you don't make it this time round. Positive thinking is a HUGE thing in the PCA.

Advertisement