Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 crash1984

Can someone tell me, if we get in, how long we are in GV for? I have read so many different things from 6 weeks - 21 weeks. Are you living in full time, or do you get out at weekends? So much conflicting information! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

crash1984 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, if we get in, how long we are in GV for? I have read so many different things from 6 weeks - 21 weeks. Are you living in full time, or do you get out at weekends? So much conflicting information! :-)

First 4 weeks are residential mate, then the remaining weeks aren't. Its 22 weeks in total, but actual 21 weeks in training as I believe there is a week off for study at some point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 crash1984

First 4 weeks are residential mate, then the remaining weeks aren't. Its 22 weeks in total, but actual 21 weeks in training as I believe there is a week off for study at some point :)

Thanks mate, that's cleared that up! I'm getting married in June, been booked for over 2 years, so I'm bricking it abit about the timing. Just have to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Thanks mate, that's cleared that up! I'm getting married in June, been booked for over 2 years, so I'm bricking it abit about the timing. Just have to see how it plays out.

No worries mate, yeah I dunno with timescales but say your in the February squad, pass out would be like first week in July, March intake would pass out around first week in August, if previous squad timescale are to go by. So you may run into a dilemma, but I would cross that bridge when you get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Ghost15

When my friend was in.. someone in their squad was getting married. They only let them have their wedding day off and they had to cancel their honeymoon! Just a heads up crash1984!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Wedding day off and evening classes to catch up on what you miss. That is assuming that you're not getting married on a weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Floral15

WannabePC wrote: »
    Will do. Have you contacted vetting yet? A couple of lads on here have been told theirs are ongoing but a mate of mine who isn't on here was told his cleared at the start of December.

Has your friend that got his vetting cleared just completed his medical quite recently? I thought the SMT played a part in the vetting, maybe wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Get wedding insurance lol. My ex was back squadded when he was at GV over 10 years ago lol. His grandad died and he went to the funeral in England for it, then our first born came along too and he took a few days off for that too so they chucked him in a different squad. I'm assuming they don't do that anymore from the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

They definitely still do that mop haha! People get back squadded for a whole number of reasons, especially if it's essential training one would miss. I know people who've missed family funerals to stay on course, each to their own.

It's 22 weeks in total, your living in first four. You do have some annual leave but it's a nice way of saying go and study for exams as it comes in the form of 2 days before week 8 and 3 days before week 16 haha. Couple of other days near the end of the course but again it's dressed as get all your kit into your new locker in district and familiarise yourself with the section you will be joining... also means your not going out to district with loads of leave to take.

Hope this helps. Anyone any questions fire me a PM. Good luck for calls this week hopefully!!!

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    They definitely still do that mop haha! People get back squadded for a whole number of reasons, especially if it's essential training one would miss. I know people who've missed family funerals to stay on course, each to their own.

It's 22 weeks in total, your living in first four. You do have some annual leave but it's a nice way of saying go and study for exams as it comes in the form of 2 days before week 8 and 3 days before week 16 haha. Couple of other days near the end of the course but again it's dressed as get all your kit into your new locker in district and familiarise yourself with the section you will be joining... also means your not going out to district with loads of leave to take.

Hope this helps. Anyone any questions fire me a PM. Good luck for calls this week hopefully!!!

I went to station with 120 hours leave to take by April. So 12 10 hour shifts. Not too shabby lol! Have you guys put your choices in yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ryan561

I went to station with 120 hours leave to take by April. So 12 10 hour shifts. Not too shabby lol! Have you guys put your choices in yet?

When did you start at your station tho? And wait, you get to choose your district? I thought it was a military kinda deal in which you go where you are needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Floral15 wrote: »
    Has your friend that got his vetting cleared just completed his medical quite recently? I thought the SMT played a part in the vetting, maybe wrong though.

Yeah he had it the day before me in December and the vetting had actually cleared before the SMT. My vetting is cleared too! :)

Ryan561 wrote: »
    When did you start at your station tho? And wait, you get to choose your district? I thought it was a military kinda deal in which you go where you are needed

I started a few months back. You get 4 choices in order of preferred district and they try to accommodate you best they can. 90% of the time everyone gets one of their top 3, but sometimes it just doesn't work out and you have to go where they send you. Don't think anyone in my squad actually ended up outside their top 3

Depending what branch and role in the armed forces you go into, you get 3 choices of where you most want to go and 3 where you least want to go. I think it's more or less the same for the po po and you get told close to when your passing out to where you'll end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ryan561

Ahhh I see thanks guys! Is there any rules you have to follow when choosing a district, such as a certain distance from home or anything like that?

Ahhh I see thanks guys! Is there any rules you have to follow when choosing a district, such as a certain distance from home or anything like that?

I'm not too sure on that one but I'm pretty sure if you choose the district you live in, you can't go to the station in your home town or the one that serves your area.

You can pick whichever district you want. Say for example you live in east Belfast but still want to work in Belfast you can pick A district but specify that you don't want Strand Town. Obviously they recommend not living and working in the same district but it's your choice. They may still decide not to give you the choice. They will try their best not to send you the other side of the province. You can also state any special circumstances for consideration such as kids in school, sick relatives you care for etc but again it doesn't make any guarantees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Floral15

WannabePC wrote: »
    Yeah he had it the day before me in December and the vetting had actually cleared before the SMT. My vetting is cleared too! :)
    Wow That's great!! I did mine in Dec too and emailed last week but was still ongoing, maybe wait until next week and mail them again :)

Floral15 wrote: »
    Wow That's great!! I did mine in Dec too and emailed last week but was still ongoing, maybe wait until next week and mail them again :)

Yeah keep on them every fortnight or so. Fingers crossed it'll clear soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 atd2492

Can anyone send me the vetting email address? Sent something through to Psni vetting but yet to receive anything back so might have got the wrong email address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 BILLYSAUCE

Anyone on a score of 63-60 waiting on a progression letter? Do you think itll happen? Will we get a letter or some form of communication either way? Am I all alone ?!?!

BILLYSAUCE wrote: »
    Anyone on a score of 63-60 waiting on a progression letter? Do you think itll happen? Will we get a letter or some form of communication either way? Am I all alone ?!?!

If they close the campaign and aren't progressing any more people or aren't taking any more squads in for this campaign, they'll send everyone a dear John.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

I'm remaining positive and I'm at the lower scale! You really never know!

Calls are heading out today guys, good luck. I know of 2 that have gotten it that aren't on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rustey Nail

When a person gets that much anticipated call to say 'your in' how much time will it be before the training in GV starts? In other words how much notice can you give your current employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

You get around a months notice, I think I got close to 6 or 7 weeks.

When a person gets that much anticipated call to say 'your in' how much time will it be before the training in GV starts? In other words how much notice can you give your current employer?

I got a weeks notice to attend the induction weekend and then 4 weeks after that started training.

Thanks Tinfoil & Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jordan1010

I got a weeks notice to the induction weekend and after that 4 weeks to the start date

• Advertisement

Jordan1010 wrote: »
    I got a weeks notice to the induction weekend and after that 4 weeks to the start date

Thanks buddy, I am sure it must be a good feeling telling your current boss you are leaving for your dream job.

Well done!

Advertisement