Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I had a big problem with this after getting back into golf this year, hit the odd one on the course but so many on the practice ground (which is probably the place for them tbf). So demoralising when you hit one. Haven't had one in the last two rounds so hopefully they're gone.

Thankfully I haven't had one in years and won't have any more for years to come!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't get to play much at all, played Narin the other day. 32 points off 16, had 7 pars. From one extreme to the other though!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Thankfully I haven't had one in years and won't have any more for years to come!!!

Yeah, I had one two rounds ago but not really a hint of one since, in fact it's been the opposite where by bad shots are coming off the toe. Which isn't great but better than a sh@nk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

30 points of 18 today in Grange Castle in absolutely horrible conditions at times .

Not playing too much of late so can't really complain . But chipping was much improved as that had been killing my scores lately and my driving was good for most parts of the round .

Played in a team event in This Island this morning but kept track of my score and had 34 points off 14.

My short game is costing me so many strokes. I four-putted the first (albeit the first was from a bit off the green), I scratched the 9th from a greenside bunker, I left three putts right in the jaws of the cup.

My ball striking also goes to pot as the round goes on which is very annoying. Obviously the first three items on the list here are what's doing the damage to my score:

1 blank
    1 triple
    2 doubles
    6 bogies
    7 pars
    1 birdies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Scored 22 points over 14 holes in very blustery conditions at St Annes yesterday. Happy enough considering I scratched 3 and had a couple of double bogeys as well.

Highlight of the round was chipping in for birdie at the par 3 6th. Actually turned away from the shot to put the club back in the bag thinking the ball was gonna stop close enough to the hole only to hear my playing partner cheer as it dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

level to v-par today in grange castle in a fairly strong wind. Left a lot out on the course today, just never really got the pace of the greens which are running exceptionally fast at the moment (last weekend they where running about 11) and had about 4 3 putts. I'm probably hitting the ball as good as I every have, hopefully I can carry that through to Killeen Castle next week :)

2 bridies
    6 pars
    7 bogies
    3 doubles

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/decdoc/round/470216

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

33 points off 16 today around Ballykisteen in the Lady Captain's Prize to the Men. Scratched the 16th hole but still managed to scrape into the buffer zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Captains prize in galway bay. NR. 48 out and then it got worse. 24 shots for 3 holes from 12 to 14. Lost ball on 16th and card went into the bin. Ah well there's always next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Disappointing 28pts in Moate today. 16 front, 12 back. Usual story - good start, bad middle, good end. Captains Qualifier next week and I'll have to be much better than today!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Disappointing 28pts in Moate today. 16 front, 12 back. Usual story - good start, bad middle, good end. Captains Qualifier next week and I'll have to be much better than today!

Moate is in fantastic condition at the moment, really enjoyed the round there Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Played a team event last week with a 11,13,19 and myself (10) hcaps in the open week in our club.

It was a strange format with 2 scores counting on the par 4s and all scores counting on the par3s and par5s

All four played well at different times but we thought we had blown it on the two par 5s on the front 9 ( I scratched both as had no shot on either) ended up with 54 points on the front 9

Back 9 we all played well I had 6 pars 1 of which didnt even get me on the card. But crucially we played the par 3s and par 5s well. I parred the the two par 3s and the 2 par 5s on the back 9 to make up for my scratches on the front. We ended to 9 with 61 points and won the competition with a total of 115 points.

Got lovely Galvin Green tops as prizes but just happy to have played so well off a hcap I thought id be year before I could play near to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

34 points in Killarney yesterday off 14 hit the ball relativley well but putted poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Played in our Captain's qualifier yesterday which disappointingly this year was stableford (the main event is strokeplay at least) scoring 33pts off 7. Had an anxious wait as thought there would be 34 needed but surprisingly everything on 32pts qualified yesterday with 33pts required from the Sat qualifier.
    Hit the ball reasonably well but a few poor chip shots cost me shots as well as getting unlucky lies under trees on two pulled tee shots, one of which resulted in a left handed fresh air shot as I tried to get back into play costing me my first double bogey.
    Can be a game of inches at times as evidenced by trees and a few lip outs but glad to have qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Gross 91 for nett 71 yesterday in Powerscourt (East) off whites {37 points :) } 5 pars and only one blank. Pins were in very difficult positions - Tough!
    Didn't enter the comp as was trying a slightly different putting stroke and shorter backswing on irons and didn't know how it would stand up on the course.... Feck it... should have done. Finished 2 under CSS :(
    Putting was a bit dodgy for the first few holes... missed a few short ones as was concentrating on the stroke and not direction... DOH! Got it sorted and came good after.
    Really looking forward to Killeen Castle next saturday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

39 at portmarnock links today. Just back from two weeks off so was surprised, normally I have a few shockers after a break.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

31 last Friday, wasn't really up for it after a long day at work. Then 37 on Sunday, could have been 39 or 40, got a couple of bad breaks on the greens. Then had my ass handed to me in matchplay Monday night by a 16 year old (not that age means anything in this game), 6&4. Wasn't up for it at all. There is such a thing of too many competitive rounds in too short a time I think. Felt golfed out. Also didn't really want to get up and away from watching the open. To top it off nicely I came back to find that BBC had switched channels for the playoff and Sky+ series link did't catch that. Was really cheesed off after that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

24 points for 15 holes. 2 scratches in there but we walked in as we'd be on the course nearly 4 hours at that stage. Not usually that slow but any momentum was quickly killed by standing on a tee box waiting.

Like Boskowski I think a lot of competitive golf leaves you feeling tired or something. I've played 48 holes in the last 24 hours!

Ye I really think so. Maybe its an age thing (wrong side of 40, hell 45 now actually :eek:) but I find when I play well there is quite a bit of mental energy going into it and it seems difficult to do so over several days to the same standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

32 off 12 in weekend comp. Css 37. All good bar the driver. Three driver related scratches. Promising overall and feel I'm on the way out of a two month slump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

80 strokes around Lough Erne today. The 70's club still awaits my arrival but I'll take +8 and my 40 points and cherish them. By far and away the best golf I've ever played. First time playing the course and I loved it.

Started with 2 bogies, the second was a poor shot to give away after having a SW in.
    Onto a short par 3 next and a 12 footer just lipped out for birdie, par.
    A 520 par 5 next and I smashed one down the middle, leaving me a 6i which I left pin high.. but just on the edge of a slope, another foot to the right and it would have fell down and left a tap in eagle. Missed the tricky eagle putt but tapped in for a birdie.
    Onto a par 3 next and an 8 ft birdie lipped out, tap in par. A long par 5 into the wind next and a 10 ft birdie looked in all the way... tap in par.
    A 325 downhill par 4 next and another cracking drive left me just shy of the green side bunker. Nearly chipped the bloody thing in for eagle... tap in birdie to bring me back to level par for 7, and not a putt having dropped yet.

Index 1 up next and a drive had me in the perfect position. Then the first real poor shot off the day seen me pull the iron approach into trouble. Left myself a long tricky putt and missed the one back for a double.
    Chickened out of going for the next par 5 in 2 and laid up, a sloppy hole and missed a 6 footer for par to turn 3 over.

Par putt lipped out on 10.
    Made my first putt of the day 11 to save par.
    Gave a long birdie putt a good run on 12.
    Fatted my tee shot on the par 3 13th, then bladed my chip right out the back into cabbage. Chipped it to a foot from there.... Very lucky that I pulled a good one out of the drawer because the wheels were coming off.

The next 4 were very nervy holes, 2 pars and 2 bogeys.
    Onto the par 3 18th to finish.
    I pulled the tee shot and chipped into 10 feet. I had been blocking out the score for the round but I knew it was for 80, hoping I made made a miscalculation to make it for 79. I sank what was only my second putt outside 6ft of the day.
    A quick check of the card confirmed the 70 club will have to wait but it's within touching distance.

Still buzzing about the round, god help me(ye) when I finally do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great round PARlance - but breaking 80 is way overrated :)

79 - around Rosslare - was happy enough as not practicing as much as I should be.

Course not that hard - but was still happy to play last 7 in level.

Putting a bit better these days - still not making enough Birds - but again, not practicing putting - so you get what you deserve.

When I was scoring well there for a while - it was my driving that was setting me up - but a very worrying duck hook has come into my game - this resulted in a treble at one point.

May have to take driver out of play a bit more for a while - back to irons off tees on shorter par 4s. Not great.
    Not sure the last time I hit a 3 wood off a tee - so that is unfamiliar to me , I'm normally usless with something unless practicing it a good bit.

Anyway. Kids back to school soon - real golf starts then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

69 in Thurles yesterday - first time breaking 70, albeit in a casual round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

82 in a semi casual round in a Moor Park. Me and the two brothers were playing for a little cup thing I bought :pac:

10 Pars
    37 front and 45 back

Driver just deserted me on the back nine, instead of a high draw I was getting low pulls leaving me scrambling and lipping out a few times

Still won it by 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

30 points in a 12 hole comp yesterday. My HCAP is 17 and I was receiving 11 strokes. Started off with a double bogey and scratched the 4th hole. Was only on one green in regulation but chipped in twice for birdie and had 6 pars so short game was sharp yesterday.

Bandit :D

Boskowski wrote: »
    Bandit :D

If that was for me then yesterday it was well deserved, unfortunately put me in a strokes comp off the back tees and I am more likely to be called hacker. lucky to break a 100 some times. The 12 hole comps mid week just seem to suit me. But chipping in twice for birdie puts a real gloss on what would have been just a steady round

It was for you but it was a well meant messin kinda comment.

Boskowski wrote: »
    It was for you but it was a well meant messin kinda comment.

No worries that's how I took it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

32 points off 23 in beech park. have to say the course is in great shape. one of the nicest ive played on as well, only 20 euro as well.

18 front, 1 scratch - 14 back , 2 scratches.

My putting is absolutely atrocious. one scratch was due to a four putt which is bad, even for me.

I had 5 birdie putts on the front 9 and sunk none. Three putting was the order of the day. Was really solid tee to green but really let myself down on the greens so disappointed after playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 SolarStoned

just scored 44 points (8over par) yesterday in citywest singles competition :) got slashed from 16 to 12 handicap today...heading in the right direction :)
    first time seeing Exceptional Scoring Reduction on my gui page.

Second top 3 finish in two weeks today. 38 of 16 now 15. What really makes me happy was that I had a poor swing day, not comfortable over the entire round, but I managed a score purely on scraps and not giving in. Also took a big scalp last night in fourball matchplay and in the quarter finals now. Captain Prize next week, bring it on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What a difference a few days makes!

I had a 75 nett that include 3 trebles and holed very few putts. My putting really does let me down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

98 around Bellwestown today, not too many 3 putts and a par with a few greens in regulation thrown into the mix, happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

A most unusual round for me today. Strokeplay off the Blues, opened with a double bogey, another on six, treble bogey on eight and another double bogey on nine so nine over par through nine holes...! Then played the back nine in one under (one bird and eight pars) for 80 gross or 71 nett. A most extraordinary round. One bird, thirteen pars, three double bogeys, one treble bogey.............and not a bogey on the card.........strange!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

1st round captains 8 over for 69 nett

Absolute nightmare today in The Island. 24 points. Virtually nothing positive to take from it, every aspect of my game was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Ciaranra wrote: »
    1st round captains 8 over for 69 nett
    Good man C still well in there, Played in the inter Scr cup in Edenderry, 7 over in the middle of the fairway on a par 5 11th so kinda in with a squeak and then carved me 3 wood OB... finished with an 8.... also hit a poor drive on the last par five into a hazard, then hit one into the woods a 9.....all in all actually played well with a good sprinkling of pars and one bird but 3 poor shots really killed me. It is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

12 hole stroke comp yesterday...off 17....hitting the irons better than ever before...putting was poor tho...had two birdies. 4 pars 2 bogeys...2 doubles..a seven and a nine...had 8 putts for birdies... crazy stuff for me!😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

32pts off 18 around St Anne's GC yesterday. Only two scratches, so getting close to my goal of a round with no scratches. Very busy course.

While the round was an absolute disaster I must have hit the longest drive of my life on the 18th in The Island yesterday. Now it was a bit downwind and it's obviously a links so the ball runs and runs but the hole is 421m and I knocked the drive down to the 100m to the centre marker. So around 320m!

Didn't get a par of course :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

29 points in lisheen springs. avoided the rain until a downpour on the 18th. stiff wind. putting again my downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Played Grange Castle with the society yesterday. Got 27 points in practice on Friday which included 8 3 putts and a 4 putt. The greens were very fast. Lucky I got the practice in because I putted much better and got 35 points off 17 which I was happy enough with. Double bogeys on 3 and 4 after opening with two pars was a killer and I took one point from the 12th and 13th which was really disappointing. Apart from those I played as well as I have in a long time.

Word for the course, first time playing Grange Castle and it was a great experience. Everyone in the society enjoyed it. You could hit a good score but you could also be punished very easily. Fantastic nick and really great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Captains Prize Qualifier in Moate yesterday and I was tipping along nice and steady until I found a bunker on 18th with my 4th shot (Par 5) and proceeded to take 2 to get out of that one and spin into the next bunker. Out first time but a long way from hole, 2 putts for a big whopping 9 on the end of my card.

Finished on nett 77 and just outside the qualifying mark of Top 75 players but I am sure to get in as I'm next sub and there are usually a few withdrawals. I know I'm way off the pace (leader has 66) but I don't care about that I just want to be there on the day and taking part. 18 holes starting in 3 balls at 8am am and then a 9 hole play off for the Top 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

92 in the mire yesterday in a scratch cup in forrest little. was +4 after 8 (in the worst of the weather) and playing well, but back nine, I chucked in some big scores....

some guy shot 78 in those conditions yesterday (off 13), thats incredible stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

29 points in the clubs open singles on Thursday, 35 points in the society captains prize on Saturday.

Fairly contrasting rounds. Thursday was a disaster to start with, got my first ever real dose of the shanks and couldn't shake them till the 5th. 4 scratches to start off with & was seriously contemplating going back in I was so frustrated. I knew my chipping & putting were fine as they have been for some time but I couldn't get the ball in to play with the shanks. Horrible horrible feeling. 5th hole par 3 & I stuck the ball to within a foot for a tap in birdie and gave me some confidence. Very happy to come in with 29 points after that start.

Saturday started okay, got a couple of 1 pointers just to keep things tipping over when things could have went astray but hung in there and had a tap in birdie and a par to get going a bit. Crossed with 19 points & would need a good back 9 to get into the prizes, hit a drive on the 10th that was a bit of a pull but was sickened when it could't be found. I should have went back and teed off again but I spent so long looking I chose not to. Let this get to me and only got 1 point at the next par 3 & more or less put me out of the running of a prize at this stage. A good run of holes gave me 15 points in the last 7 holes left me happy enough but disappointing that I am letting stupid errors affect me on the next hole.

Poor Sunday. Started off early morning with a 19 points front nine. Then scratched the 10th after duffing chip into the bunker which I hadn't done in a few weeks. Scratched 14 then when the mist had turned into rain and clubs started slipping. Then hit my 3rd into the water on 16 from a severish uphill lie where I misjudged how much the lie will turn the ball over. By then it had turned into a full blown winter morning with proper rain and we all walked in. I had 26 in total but really only hit one very poor shot. Feel still pretty good overall and Captains Prize is only a few days away. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played like a donkey on back nine in Boards outing - hadn't played like that in ages.

So - went out today not knowing what was going to happen. Haven't been practicing with kids off etc.

Something different happened today - couldn't get an early tee time - so was stuck at course for 90 minutes before game - did , mid irons, short game, chipping and putting before my round. Unusual for me lately - have gone back to my bad old days , of ten minutes before tee time. In fairness , more a kids off and work issue thing.

Landed just off the first par 5 in two and got up and down with a good 6 foot putt - then under clubbed 2 and made a mess of it. Regret picking ball up - would have been easy 7 - so no stroke score.

Anyway - started hitting irons very very well - driver not so well - but got lucky with bad drives.

Then had a freak of a day on the greens - 8 more 1 putts - hilarious , couldn't miss , started knowing I was going to make it. They were all in the 7 to 25 feet range - a total of 5 birds , with 2 very close lip outs for 2 more.

Coming home (about 16) I started to get very nervous, but made a great bird on 16, had another great 7 iron on 17, but didn't go for bird on 17 - resulted in 3 putt. (was thinking of par on 17 - should not have, and done what was clearly working)

Then an unlucky bogie to finish.

Best ever round in competition.

42 pts - off 6.

Definitely my lowest ever handicap.

Would love to know how I putted so well today - seems strange to have your lowest ever handicap based on a freaky day on greens - but in fairness - I had 9 , good birdie putts - must be something else going on. In fairness , I hardly hit one bad iron all day. Good iron shots that hit greens in that 20 to 30 foot range are not the most memorable aspect of a persons round - but they are the building block of a good round for me.

Over the moon - can't wait to see what my handicap is - rather embarrassingly not sure how handicap works in that range (lol)

All a bit mental - had to reassure the lads I was playing with , that I only have days on the green like that once every 4 months or so.

I guess - the 1 I made on the first got me on a run - my routine was excellent, every putt I made , I did the same thing.

Anyway - class day. One of those once or twice a year job.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Played Headfort new course today 34 points, 15 on front 9, 19 on back 9, going well on back until last 3 holes scored 1 point on each hole. Course in great shape. Noticed the greens on old course were heavily sanded, thought it was a bit early in season to be sanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

36pts off 12 today in an open in Letterkenny,
    15pts out
    21pts back

Disappointed with the front 9, lot of easy holes to get off to a good start but I just made a balls of most of them. Drove the ball well, but irons were very poor, ground was very soft after all the rain and doesn't suit low bounce. But held a few good putts and I'm getting better on the lag putting, no 3 putts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement