Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Managed to get the permission slip in for 2 rounds this weekend.

35 Points on Saturday
    37 Points on Sunday

Solid scoring, but on both days I had 2 complete brain farts, which were the difference between a nice cut & at best a 0.2 cut. Greens had been hollow tined & sanded earlier in the week, so it was a bit of a lottery with the putter.

Got really lucky with the weather. No rain at all for us on Saturday, but a decent wind, and a couple of light showers on Sunday, but nothing to really make it into a miserable day.

Sunday was probably more frustrating. I had 35 points coming off the 16th green, 17th a par 3, about 165 yards. Pushed my tee shot right, but carried the bunkers. Was really the wrong side to miss on, so took my medicine & looked to just throw it to the middle of the green & take my chances with the putter. Unfortunately I ended up 3 putting for a scratch.

Then on to 18. Its a tough enough par 5 (index 4, I think), even from the whites it requires a long drive to give you a chance to go at it. Wasn't driving too well, so took 3 wood to play sensibly. It worked well, I hit the middle of the green in 3. But again followed it up with 3 putts for bogey. So 2 3-putts in the last 2 holes cost me at least 2 points & what would have gotten me comfortably back down to 11.

Ah well, playing better golf in the last couple of weeks, so won't beat myself up too much. Still need to tidy up my short game a bit though.

If I can eliminate the 1/2 silly mistakes per round, I can put together a very good score...its easier said than done unfortunately :o

Anyway, roll on Fota, need a big one this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played donabate yesterday, 32 points. Last five holes were olayrd in a fown pour.

Regarding slow play. Refreshing to play through two groups who knew what they were about and let us through on the fifth after telling us as soon as we get close they would wave us through. Done front and back nine in 1.5 hours each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Couple of modest results over the last two weeks, .1s around the 30 point mark with strong starts and weak or even terrible back nines. I seem to be developing a thing with front nine back nine and when going well my game changes. Its so hard to stay focused and not think about scores.
    Ball striking hasn't been great either especially irons. Driver thankfully ok, but I hit very few nice shots into greens lately. I seem to be getting around more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

33 pts yesterday in Co Meath GC off 16

21 pts on the front nine with three solid pars

Going in to the back nine, i thought i was finally going to complete my goal of a round with no scratches. Snap hook into trees and that was that. The rain made the back nine pretty miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

40 pts in the Presidents prize yesterday, had it in the bag and bottle it! but I said going out if I shoot 40 I'd be happy and I did :)

My first ever cut on the way :D yeeee.... haaaaa....

• Advertisement

oh came 6th..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

2 birdies
    9 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 double bogey

+6 (39 points)

I went out with the main aim of no double bogeys or three putts but I double bogeyed and three putted the 16th which ruined my card! Shame as it was the only blot on a decent scorecard.

Isn't that +7?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Isn't that +7?

Looks like he played 19 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Hadnt played in 3 weeks so wasnt expecting much on Saturday morning, ended up with 38 pts. Game was solid except for the putter, dont think i sank one over 4 feet all day, just couldnt get the pace of them at all, Lost my class by 1 point but got cut 1 shot which im pleased about as ive been going steadily the other way in .1's for a few months. Hopefully its a sign of things to come, going to try and get a bit of putting practise in over the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My second comp in 12 months, blobbed the first and second in captains prize, two easy holes, and blobbed another easy hole on back 9. Still had 36 points. Very pleased/surprised! Not sure I'll get another comp in before winter rules, so prob wont be able to play team golf next year without three cards. Am currently off 8.7 so would like to get a third card in and get back to 8, my lowest ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

After a 3 week break from even holding a club first game back today in Castle knock.
    Had 74 gross, 40 points,
    -2 after 9. Had 2 silly double bogies then and came back in 40.
    Delighted with that as was expecting to be very rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

dar_cool wrote: »
    After a 3 week break from even holding a club first game back today in Castle knock.
    Had 74 gross, 40 points,
    -2 after 9. Had 2 silly double bogies then and came back in 40.
    Delighted with that as was expecting to be very rusty.

Class stuff dar.

Considering break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Isn't that +7?

Haha! My bad I must have played 19 in my head! Was six bogeys instead of seven for +6. Best round in a while can't wait to get back out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Reading some of the above posts, a break from golf can create some great rounds. We'll done lads.
    Always play better than you expect after some time off, when the opposite should be true, it's a funny old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm in Portugal, no golf, but I can feel myself getting better and better!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

34 points off 20 today in Cahir in society outing.
    Again a day of what could have been. Way too inconsistent at the moment.

Has anybody got recommendations for golf lessons in North Tipp area please? Can travel a reasonable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Played Powerscourt East yesterday, was a friendly matchplay so may have added this up wrong but think I had 36 points off 14. It was my first time playing the course and have to say I really enjoyed it, it's in lovely shape.

As for my game, the long game is pretty good and the short game is pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

41 pts (77 gross) yesterday in the captains prize in fota island. Knocked my first shot OB on the first, but steady the ship pretty well after that, only other really bad hole was on the 9th, were i managed to shank a 7 iron after trying to play the hero recovery shot from under a tree :rolleyes: I had a great back 9, finishing level for the 9, 5 up on level 2's.

3 x birdies
    9 x pars
    4 x bogies
    1 x double
    1 x tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭slingerz

Won the monthly medal yesterday with 82 off 15 for a nett 67.

That included a triple on the 8th where I slipped on the articifical tee box and the ball never got in bounds. Drove just short par 4 16th before duffing chip into bunker with a sand save for par

Cut from 14.6 to 13.7

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

35 points in St Anne's today off 12. Starting to score pretty consistently now and hopefully will see a bit of a break through soon.

2 scratches and some fairly poor driving thrown into the mix, iron play saved the day on a good few holes.

Wind was up a little, was good enough for a top 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

33points yesterday in Sunday comp, off to an alright start then blanked 3 & 4 and I just never got going, putting really let me down, even missed a 1fter on 13.

Had to laugh last night, the exact same thing that happen on the 17th in the solhiem cup happen in my 4 ball on the 8th yesterday, thankfully I wasn't involved and the guy who picked up his ball without the putt being given walked off on the 9th in a huff!
    I'm fairness I think he was hungover and looking for an excuse to leave after forgetting his gui card to enter comp. He'll be back as normal next week but he won't live it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

41pts in Fota on Saturday at a great boards.ie Captains Prize.

Birdies 1
    Pars 8
    Bogies 8
    Doubles 1

most consistent round of golf all year and still could have been better, bad course management for the double and left a few putts in the jaws of the hole but cant complain anyday you go out and shoot better than handicap is a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Played a scramble the weekend and went fairly well. Finished on 7 under with no bogies. We had a run of 5 birdies in a row and everything just dropped & we all chipped in more or less equally.

I have one question though about the format that we weren't sure about, someone here might be able to clarify for me. Supposing I hit a good shot into a green and my ball is used, would I have to putt first? That's the way we played it with every shot to be safe but I am not sure if you have to follow that order?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

82 strokes on par 69 course earlier today for my course record.

Definitely a tale of two nines. Started solidly but finished the front nine treble double treble bogey to go out in 46 which is fairly average for me.
    Parred the 10th and bogeyed the 11th after finding the fairway bunker but amazingly managed to par my way home from there to come home in 36. Delighted. Amazing how driving straight off the tee helps. Just need to find consistency.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Macker1

Memorial Cup for Past Member at Grange Castle yesterday.

Format was a three person scramble.

Myself and the regular playing partners were playing off a handicap of 3 and had a great day.

1 Eagle
    8 Birdies
    9 Pars

Gross 62
    Nett 59

Some very consistent golf by each of us had a good score going but the highlights of the round came late with a 30ft putt for birdie drained on 17th and then came the eagle on 18th. We found ourselves partially blocked out by a large tree for our second shot when one of guys hit a fantastic high fade from 165 mtrs into 10ft with the 5-iron. He knocked in the eagle putt to much delight as it sealed the win. Won the cup and were delighted to finally be in the winners circle after a very poor year. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

91(77) from the back tees today. Was a bit of a nightmare. 6! three putts and one lost drive for a quadruple 8 which I blame the previous three putt for. :D Shame 'cos I had a score in me today. Putting would normally be one of the stronger parts of my game. Followed by driving. Go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

After all my grumbling of late not being able to hit big scores and featuring in competitions played one of my best ever rounds today in perfect conditions shooting +2 for 41 pts off 7. Given the perfect conditions the CSS was a high 37 but still a nice and well needed cut of 0.8 to bring me down to 6 (have been struggling to break the 7 barrier for the past couple of years). However, as enjoyable and as big as the score was it was still only good enough for 2nd with a 21 handicap shooting 42pts so I've yet to win a competition in my home club, hopefully that will be next week in the final medal of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

After all my grumbling of late not being able to hit big scores and featuring in competitions played one of my best ever rounds today in perfect conditions shooting +2 for 41 pts off 7. Given the perfect conditions the CSS was a high 37 but still a nice and well needed cut of 0.8 to bring me down to 6 (have been struggling to break the 7 barrier for the past couple of years). However, as enjoyable and as big as the score was it was still only good enough for 2nd with a 21 handicap shooting 42pts so I've yet to win a competition in my home club, hopefully that will be next week in the final medal of the year.

Great Shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

played in a 2 ball better ball yesterday with both scores to count on par 3's. Won gross over all which way nice :) what made it even better was i played really well myself.

12 pars
    4 bogies
    2 doubles

2 silly 3 putts caused the two doubles, thankfully partner was already in for bogie or better on both holes. 1 bogie cause by a bad chip and other 3 were got by missing green on par 3's. Overall game is in a good place hopefully get another couple of good rounds in before end of qualifying.

• Advertisement

34pts yesterday what a weird round only 1 scratch on the 12th which I think is the easiest hole on the course. Drove my ball right off tee only bad drive of the day. but couldn't find it which pissed me off as there's no trouble only a few trees but you will always find the ball as there open & grass is always cut!
    my chipping is shocking! And putting is not much better even though I have been putting some serious hours on my putting mat!

Hit loads of GIR and fairways just couldn't hole anything! starting to hate my putter :mad:

Advertisement