Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

43 pts yesterday in Waterford Castle off of 5.

Drove the ball well but only hit 9 GIR. Putting was decent but still left alot out there!! Had a 3 putt from about 8 ft which if it didnt happen, I would have shot my first ever round in the 60's on my home course!! :mad:

5 birdies
    10 pars
    3 bogies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

After all my grumbling of late not being able to hit big scores and featuring in competitions played one of my best ever rounds today in perfect conditions shooting +2 for 41 pts off 7. Given the perfect conditions the CSS was a high 37 but still a nice and well needed cut of 0.8 to bring me down to 6 (have been struggling to break the 7 barrier for the past couple of years). However, as enjoyable and as big as the score was it was still only good enough for 2nd with a 21 handicap shooting 42pts so I've yet to win a competition in my home club, hopefully that will be next week in the final medal of the year.

Congrats on a super round, very hard to win stableford comps. See 62 won medal few weeks ago, madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    43 pts yesterday in Waterford Castle off of 5.

Drove the ball well but only hit 9 GIR. Putting was decent but still left alot out there!! Had a 3 putt from about 8 ft which if it didnt happen, I would have shot my first ever round in the 60's on my home course!! :mad:

5 birdies
    10 pars
    3 bogies

Nice shooting in fairness. I caddy as a summer job and play a bit probably a 20 handicap but I admire guys who shoot like this. It's not easy to hold it all together over 18 holes. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Frustrated yesterday in the Presidents Prize (5-Day) in Castleknock. Started with 3 putt on first for a scratch, 3 putt on second for a point, 4 putt on third for a point (including hitting the ground for a 2 inch tap in:eek:), 3 putt on 4th for a point, 3 putt on fifth for a point. So 4 points through 5. Hitting the ball as well as I have done all year, but the putting is killing me :mad: the first 3 were off the green, but still should have been getting down in 2 from the lies. All aspirations of winning have gone out the window and now all I want to do is get it back to a score inside the buffer.

Par on 6 (no shot) for 2 points to steady the ship, par again on 7 then missed a 4 footer for par on the 8th. A long 2 putt for par on 9 got me to the turn with 14 points. A ball in water on 10 meant only 1 point followed by a lip out for birdy 11 to only manage a 2 point par. A big drive on 12 left me a 3/4 shot into the green but I'm having trouble with them at the moment and I basically duffed it. A decent chip gave me a chance but I missed the 4 footer for par.

A par on 13 was followed by great drive on the index 1 14th. But a 5 iron hit fat came up short and left me with the hardest shot in golf, about 40 yards out of a bunker which I played as well as I could have hoped to about 15 foot and my putt went so close for par but a 5 is always a good score there. Another big drive and another 3/4 shot in saw me coming up short on 15 and while I gave my chip a chance of going in, I missed the 6 footer back for a 1 point bogey. Digging deep and looking for a birdy on 16, a matter of 2 foot was the difference between a run at eagle and a deep bunker after a big second shot 4 iron into the par 5. A well executed bunker shot left me with a 10 footer down hill, which I left agonisingly in the jaws, the roll of a ball short. 17 playing long and tough, into the wind, I nailed my drive (was hitting it the best I have done all year) but another fat second shot saw me come up short. A good chip saw me getting up and down for the first time all day and while I pushed my tee shot on the par 3 18th to flirt with water, another up and down saw me finish with 3 pars on the trot to bring home 20 points on the back 9 for a total of 34.

All in all, happy with how I struck the ball. Driver was hot yesterday with only 1 real bad hit. Couple of shots from the fairway which I hit fat just came out of nowhere, as I was flushing the long irons all day. 70-80 yards is killing me since I got new clubs..... need to practice more of them. Putting is a joke. After the first 5 holes though I rolled it pretty well, but left a lot short. I should know better, but the greens were slower than normal yesterday and compared to Greystones they were at a snails pace.

The killer though was I finished 3rd. 35 was first and second. I can't help but think of the tap in on the third :rolleyes: as with my strong back 9 I would have come out on top :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

34 points on Saturday out in the Lady Presidents Prize. 2 scratches on the card, one on each 9, for about the 3rd/4th round in a row, being the difference between a cut & a buffer. Both scratches were the result of getting tangled up in the trees.

38 points won it.

To take a major positive from the round, I needed to birdie the last to hit my buffer. Its a long par 5, sharp dogleg requiring about 275 yards off the tee to make the corner from the whites. Stepped up, and knocked the drive around 275. That left about 215 in to the pin. Hit a hybrid to about 20 feet & two putted safely to make the birdie.

Was a very satisfying end to a round and builds confidence that I have the game to pull out the big shots when they are needed.

Went out and played in a Champagne scramble then on Sunday. Was playing with a 20 & 24 handicap. The 24 is realistically struggling to play to a 28 handicap so were under pressure to get his tee shots in. Unfortunately we didn't manage it, so were stuck with his drive on 18 (the same one as above). Meant playing from a tight position from a drive of about 150 yards.

Was thinking of the day before. Stuck a 9 iron into almost the same position as Saturday, and knocked the same hybrid in to about 10-12ft. Missed the birdie, but a par from the starting position felt like a birdie.

Hit all the par 3 greens, and drove the par 4 10th hole with my 3 wood to the delight of my partners.

A great day out, with good craic from the lads.

Played some very nice golf this weekend (just need to cut out these minor lapses in concentration)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

36 points in Tuesday comp, went out in 20 points and felt like I could finally get a cut this round. Proceeded to blank the 10th and get 1 point each on 11 & 12, tried to keep it steady then and got 2 points on each hole till the 18th. Walking up the 18th I knew I needed a par and 3 points to have any chance of not getting a 0.1 back and going out to 13hcp, hit a good drive, good hybrid and perfect chip in for a bird. No cut buy thankfully I live to fight as a 12 handicapper for another day.

Senna wrote: »
    36 points in Tuesday comp, went out in 20 points and felt like I could finally get a cut this round. Proceeded to blank the 10th and get 1 point each on 11 & 12, tried to keep it steady then and got 2 points on each hole till the 18th. Walking up the 18th I knew I needed a par and 3 points to have any chance of not getting a 0.1 back and going out to 13hcp, hit a good drive, good hybrid and perfect chip in for a bird. No cut buy thankfully I live to fight as a 12 handicapper for another day.

?? Par would have had you 35.... Bogey 34.... Double 33..... Surely well inside the buffer:confused:

Seve OB wrote: »
    ?? Par would have had you 35.... Bogey 34.... Double 33..... Surely well inside the buffer:confused:

Tuesday comp in perfect weather, css could have been as high as 38, I've been stung with high css's before.

Tuesday comp in perfect weather, css could have been as high as 38, I've been stung with high css's before.

WOW that's crazy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

WOW that's crazy

Its 37 every week in my club!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Tuesday comp in perfect weather, css could have been as high as 38, I've been stung with high css's before
    WOW that's crazy
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    Its 37 every week in my club!!
    Was thinking about playing Black Sunday in Killeen Castle on Oct 11th, looking at results I see the CSS on the past two occasions was 29 and 28 points. Makes for a nice change from all the big high scores, reckon 26 points there would be great shooting and some challenge. €50 is on the expensive end however hence my reason for not having played previously.

Never even seen a css in the 20's but I've played plenty of rounds where I though it was more than justified.
    Off the back Tees in my home club would usually be 36 css but foward Tees on a good day would always be 37 and the odd 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

WOW that's crazy

My home course (Athy) CSS is regularly 38/39

No wonder I'm not going down! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First time playing Royal Tara today ( blue and red)
    91 strokes
    3 pars
    11 bogeys
    4 DBL

Not a great day but enjoyed it all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

40 points around fota today . My highest ever - never hit the driver & irons so well in the same round :D - chuffed !

72 gross for 38 points in Arklow, was good enough for the win, first W of the season, should get me down to low 4 handicap which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

33 points in Fota mid-week. New irons out for the first time and they feel very different, both shaft and swingweight. First impressions are very good but still getting to know them. Happy enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Macker1

37pts today at Grange Castle.

Quite happy with play as I managed to get 37pts which included 2 scratches.

Greens have been forked and sanded so getting putts to drop was a bit of a lottery.

May have turned a corner in the last couple of rounds with some more consistent play.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Finally put a score together but should have been better, right side of the corner has been turned.
    Gross 79 for 39pts
    2 scratched holes & two one pointers came from nowhere however 3 birdies in the round eased the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

dar_cool wrote: »
    72 gross for 38 points in Arklow, was good enough for the win, first W of the season, should get me down to low 4 handicap which is good.

That is class score around a course with danger all over and a very hard finish.

I like Arklow nice track with great variety.

• Advertisement

76 today +3 in last medal of the year, got the gross prize, never hit the driver as well, got a new shaft last week and its really paying off. Putting was bad, 3x3 putts but form is good at the moment. Pity season is almost over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

76 today +3 in last medal of the year, got the gross prize, never hit the driver as well, got a new shaft last week and its really paying off. Putting was bad, 3x3 putts but form is good at the moment. Pity season is almost over.

That's some great shooting of late, congrats. I had a woeful 84 today +11 with two 8's on the card. I was the opposite in that my driving was shocking, especially on the front nine. Hitting the irons nicely which resulted in a handy 2 and two other missed opportunities so at least I'll recoup a few euro for my trouble but unfortunately it's another 0.1 as ever all the clause 19 adjustments can't save me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

35 points today in last medal of the year with the most unconsistent round ever.

- Out in 20 Home in 15
    - 2 scratches and 6 1pointers
    - 5 3putts
    - 4 lost balls
    - Dont know how i even managed 35pts
    - Sitting here confused and wondering what i could have shot had i had an any way decent back 9

Started off with 4 1pointer 1st: 3putts 2nd:3 putt, 3rd: ball in ditch took unplayable 4th: 3putts so was +5 after 4 holes, good stern chat with myself on walk to 5th tee and then went par, birdie, birdie, par, birdie and pulled it back to +2 after 9.

Onto back 9 and the hardest hole on course and another 4 pointer par (first time to par that hole since about may!!) Looked at my watch 11.30 am, had to be gone outa club at 12.35 at latest to make a hurling match, course with this on my mind my game plummeted!! 11 and 12 are two par 5's for ladies but 4 for men and really good birdie oppertunities 11th= 4 putt bogie 12th= slice so 3rd off tee bogie
    13th: push into trouble but saw it land walked up and couldnt see it so played provo and 3 putted for a double 14th: you guessed it 3rd hole in a row i hit 3rd off tee after a hook this time and 2putt for a triple bogie :'( was fair sick at this stage. 15th duff of tee bogie 16th 2 foot putt for birdie finished with a bogie, like WTF then finished birdie, par???

The 16th defo sums up my day, decent drive pin high righ of green on par 4, great flop shot from under a tree over a bunker to a flag about 8 ft on and left myself a 2ft birdie putt, while lining myself up i twisted my wrist somehow and nose of putter touched the ball, stepped away from ball gave out and then forgot about it, stood up hit putt done like 200degree turn around inside of cup and popped out to less than an inch...ughhh!!!

Why is golf such a head wrecking game!! and why am i still dying to get out again??

Sorry for the rant lads :p needed to release some anger at golfing gods :p

38 points off 12 today

2 birdies
    7 pars
    6 bogies
    3 doubles

Good enough for 3rd place and a 0.2 cut. Getting better but putting is really costing me a great score, 4 putts and 3 putts galore, 3ft seems to be my dodgy distance at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

How did new shaft come about dar - and what did you do to get it ?

My driving a little uncertain since I changed without my desire.

Rented clubs on holidays and was hitting it straight every time. Kept my eye on adverts for one when I got home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭slingerz

34 pts off 14 with 2 scratches. playing with a self induced headache didnt help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

34 off 14 and again left a good few easy ones out there. Driving now very well but putting has deteriorated. Stupid game really. ;)

40 points off 12 in Tuesday comp, good enough for 2nd place and a 0.8 cut to bring me to 11.4, my first time down to 11, delighted.

1 birdie
    10 pars
    5 bogeys
    2 doubles (1 a four putt)

That's a 4th, 3rd and 2nd place in my last 3 comps, next one will either be 1st or 50th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

32pts in Tuesday Comp and a 0.1 back :mad: knocked my ball down off first tee which I haven't done in months! second shot was 5i struck well too well as reached fairway bunker & ended up scratching the first! Not really the start you want.

Had a short game lesson last Fri so have been practising my pitching in the range to great success but different animal on the course! but when I did catch it right and not blade it I was getting it close! Birded the index 4 by pitching the ball from 70 yards to 8ft & sinking the putt. highlight of my round!

It was a funny round as I was striking the ball very well & putting the best I have all season just one 3 putt! just didnt score well 4 scratches & weather didnt help!

Feeling confident again about my game just need to get a few hrs in practising my pitching & chipping on the course (not range). Which be hard since there's no daylight left in the evenings!

Only 3 weeks left till qualifying finishes hope to at least get to 18/19 from 21 fingers crossed!

Advertisement