Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

if we ever had a terrorist attack in ireland ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

If Ireland was going to war in the morning we would be fitting in as part of WEU battle plan. We have 13,000 approx depmanent defence for troops trained on some of the best equipement available. I think the Dept of Defence has bought very few turkeys (EG SA80's , UK Battle drones, US military software, M-16 (originals), Abrahms tanks (originals)) over the years. That is the advantage of a small army trained on the best equipent with an intelligent population, you can train them fast.

The day Ireland goes to War will be a sad day indeed and God keep it far from us. I like that it is Neutral, that we are respected as neutral and that both business and politics recognises this. I would say if it came up in a referundum tomorrow morning when the scales would balance up we would lose more than we would gain like Switzerland.

Special forces arent in the front lines they are usually behind the enemy lines in a war providing intelligence and distracting from where the real war is like (Taking out scuds in Iraq, Gathering information on mainland Argentina and obsering Airforce bases. Harrasing German troops in rural France, destroying and disabling ships using limpet mines in harbour, providing training and acting as advisors to the Taliban and Mujahadeen in Afghanistan.) that sort of thing. Irish Special forces are working the whole time.... they just dont make front page stuff is all.

I don't understand your post, especially where it connects with a terrorist attack on Ireland. We have only a strength of 9500 for the Permanent Defence Forces add in an Garda Siochana strength of 13200, then we have a credible force for our population, not our geography.

As for purchasing errors, this happens everywhere and our Government are by no means exempt from this.

Special forces are special, but do nothing for state security. The best intelligence services are those we never hear of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I don't understand your post, especially where it connects with a terrorist attack on Ireland. We have only a strength of 9500 for the Permanent Defence Forces add in an Garda Siochana strength of 13200, then we have a credible force for our population, not our geography.

As for purchasing errors, this happens everywhere and our Government are by no means exempt from this.

Special forces are special, but do nothing for state security. The best intelligence services are those we never hear of.

My post in response to someone else comment on our defense forces less than 10,000 over all. Cripes is the Defense forces shrinking that fast? 20 years ago we had a Reserve defence forces of 10-12,000.
    I would like you to point out ANY Serious purchasing errors made by the DoD (that awful toilet paper in the bathrooms is already declared ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

if we did ever have an attack/hostage situation here in Ireland I would be confident that we have the people with the required skills and ability to deal with it. we might have a small army but they are highly skilled individuals and our special forces I would think would be more than up to the task. be grand.

On Saturday, September 21, 2013, Jack Conroy (a pseudonym), age 37, a veteran sergeant of the Irish Army Ranger Wing, British paratroopers, and an Irish Garda police reservist, was serving as a security consultant for an oil company in Nairobi, Kenya, with his immediate supervisor, Mark Weston (also a pseudonym), an ex-British Special Air Service (SAS) commando officer, when a colleague sent him a chilling text message at 12:41 p.m.: “Terrorist attack underway in Westgate Mall.” At the nearby, upscale shopping mall, an estimated 10–20 Islamist, al-Qa’ida-linked, al-Shabaab terrorists wearing combat fatigues and carrying AK-47 assault rifles began a fierce, shooting rampage that ultimately killed 67 people and wounded 175 more, including 11 Kenyan soldiers, during a horrific four-day siege.

Conroy and Weston arrived on-scene, unarmed, at 1:06 p.m., having already confirmed that an oil company executive and his wife were trapped on the embattled mall’s second floor, inside the Onami sushi restaurant. There was total chaos among Kenyan security forces, no police cordon, and no proper command and control as grenades exploded and full-automatic gunfire echoed from inside the mall, yet Jack and Mark bravely entered through a car park gateway. Four shots were fired directly toward them, and they momentarily withdrew to locate another entrance point. They soon found 150–200 staff members and mall employees taking cover behind some trucks, and guided them to safety. “There were police there, but they were doing nothing,” Jack later reported. “We took control of the situation and started sending the people in pairs down the service road to safety.”

Then, they received a text message from the trapped executive, stating: “Shooting inside (restaurant) now,” and realized that their corporate client was in grave danger. They asked the huddled Kenyan soldiers and police for weapons, but were refused. Four policemen accompanied Jack and Mark up to the second floor through an emergency stairwell as the gunfire and exploding grenades continued to wreak havoc. A children’s cooking competition was interrupted by blazing fusillades of AK-47 fire, and Jack said that, “It was like walking through the gates of hell. There were bodies littered everywhere.” They soon came upon another 150 panic-stricken people and guided them downstairs to safety under hostile fire

At 1:33 p.m., an Asian civilian handed Jack a semi-automatic pistol with 15 rounds in its magazine. Jack located Mark and told him, “I’m armed and I am going to Onami for the clients.” Conroy and a policemen then entered the main shopping mall area, drawing terrorist fire for a third time, and Jack was finally able to return the gunfire. As they reached the Onami restaurant, two armed terrorists emerged, and he fired three shots in their direction. One al-Shabaab fighter was killed, and the other ran away. Conroy immediately rescued his two clients, only to discover that a further 100 people were hiding in the restaurant’s storeroom; he organized their safe movement to a café where Mark had established an escape route to freedom.

Another gunman fired a quick burst at Jack, who instantly replied with four rounds in two double-taps, which “eliminated the danger,” according to an eyewitness. Thus, within the span of only 49 minutes, Conroy and Weston arrived at the besieged mall, took control, led at least 500 dazed hostages to safety, rescued their clients (who were quickly driven away), and neutralized two or more terrorists in the harrowing process. As if this extraordinary heroism under fire wasn’t enough, however, the two daring men went back inside again to retrieve the wounded, and spent the next three hours using their military paramedic skills to treat at least 10 gunshot and shrapnel victims, mostly children. They were both photographed by the press during this period, but their true identities are being kept secret to avoid retaliation by Muslim extremists.

Jack told one reporter, “I am not a hero, not at all. I just used the years of training I got as a member of the unit (the Irish Army Ranger Wing) to rescue two of my clients.” The bloody bodies of four dead terrorists were discovered by police after the end of the siege, indicating that Conroy and Weston may have been even more successful than they realized, and their exceptional valor, honor and skill were unparalleled. While a great deal has been written about the legendary British SAS, much less is known about Jack’s former unit from the Irish midlands.

http://www.sofmag.com/irish-elite-special-ops-%E2%80%9Cwarriors%E2%80%9D-army-ranger-wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Enda Kenny would get super ripped in a Rocky style montage -apply combat facepaint and a bandana - and then take off from an attack helicopter that emerges Thunderbirds stlye from Skellig Michael. He'd drop down from the chopper and immediately decapitate the the terrorists with a hurley. In an act of defiance and freedom, our leader would then solo the entire length of Croke Park with the severed head of the chief terrorist and knock it over for a point from the 45. On his way to the Aras to receive acclaim from el Presedente he stops to cut the ribbon on a new Supervalu and indulges in a 99 ice cream cone. He turns to the press gang and quips 'These radical Muslamics need to COOL down or I'll FLAKE them'. The baying crowd crease themselves in laughter and adoration. Mary Kennedy from Nationwide emerges from the melee and kisses our hero passionately on the lips. Enda takes Gaybo's Harley keys and himself and Mary drive off into the Dublin sunset....

*Enda Kenny awakes from his dream confused and realises his y-fronts are all sticky, he sighs as he remembers he has to visit a Donegal creamery in the morning*

My post in response to someone else comment on our defense forces less than 10,000 over all. Cripes is the Defense forces shrinking that fast? 20 years ago we had a Reserve defence forces of 10-12,000.
    I would like you to point out ANY Serious purchasing errors made by the DoD (that awful toilet paper in the bathrooms is already declared ).

The following might shed some light, MOWAGs (too expensive to maintain and the armour on them is cracking despite being told not to put that much on the vehicles (link)), the new sight for the steyr is not going smothly, and the Mitsubishi pajeros and Ford Rangers are not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sure those terrorists from all those foreign countries wouldn't be able to buy much explosives or guns with what they get on the direct provision scheme! €19 a week for fags and extras doesn't buy many blocks of c4 or ak47s.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Enda Kenny would get super ripped in a Rocky style montage -apply combat facepaint and a bandana - and then take off from an attack helicopter that emerges Thunderbirds stlye from Skellig Michael. He'd drop down from the chopper and immediately decapitate the the terrorists with a hurley. In an act of defiance and freedom, our leader would then solo the entire length of Croke Park with the severed head of the chief terrorist and knock it over for a point from the 45. On his way to the Aras to receive acclaim from el Presedente he stops to cut the ribbon on a new Supervalu and indulges in a 99 ice cream cone. He turns to the press gang and quips 'These radical Muslamics need to COOL down or I'll FLAKE them'. The baying crowd crease themselves in laughter and adoration. Mary Kennedy from Nationwide emerges from the melee and kisses our hero passionately on the lips. Enda takes Gaybo's Harley keys and himself and Mary drive off into the Dublin sunset....

*Enda Kenny awakes from his dream confused and realises his y-fronts are all sticky, he sighs as he remembers he has to visit a Donegal creamery in the morning*

Nonsense there is a plan in place since the foundation of the State. Hitler asked DeV to mind a resurection machine(see wonder woman TV series). Dev being the crafty guy that he was (in Arthurian legend style) decided not to use this unless there was an extreme crisis in the state. This was hidden under neathe the Mullagh More site where it was recently re discovered by An Taisce.

Should the Country ever need heroes, should the country ever be in Grave danger or Perilous outcomes inevitable..... we should be able to resurrect the 1916 Rising leader ship (except for Collins, Dev wouldnt have liked it). This is this countrys Nucear Option. ...... and we are all waiting for one man to unlock the code and push the button Michael D Higgens President of Ireland, Leader of the little people and unoffical Spokesperson of Darby O 'Gill fan club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well if you are involved in alliances and have allies who have agreed a mutual defence pact, are you not by definition completely incapable of being neutral?

Countries etc do have a lot invested here, so they could cone to our aid - but only because they'd be looking to protect their interests- would we get the same or any help if they had no interests here? They don't 'care' about Ireland, they care about what they have in Ireland.

If there is a mutual defence pact (that you intend to honour) - no you would not be neutral. Using the US as an example, as far as I know, Ireland and the US *do not* have a mutual defence pact. If the US goes to war with North Korea - we can maintain our neutral status.

I'm not saying the US cares about Ireland from the goodness of their hearts. But they do have a large financial interest in Ireland and I would expect that they would provide support in the event of someone invading Ireland.

That doesn't mean we aren't neutral or are allied with the US. It means we have strong relations with one another and the US is very well known for securing it's interest abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The following might shed some light, MOWAGs (too expensive to maintain and the armour on them is cracking despite being told not to put that much on the vehicles (link)), the new sight for the steyr is not going smothly, and the Mitsubishi pajeros and Ford Rangers are not fit for purpose.

Well, I wouldn't go basing assessments of the state of our security preparedness on 6 year old reports from the Herald of all places (which was based on an original piece in the Sunday Times).

It was (and is sensationalist rubbish).

The MOWAGs get hammered - they're good kit and they're in demand - which probably indicates we didn't buy enough. At the time there was a problem sourcing parts and some vehicles were being cannibalised to keep others on the road until the parts arrived.

Vehicles coming back from Africa at the time required, as you might imagine, a major overhaul to get them back into top condition.

There were a number of problems when they came into service (mostly, iirc to do with the suspension, and with modifications we had specified) There were some armour cracks (about 30) and they were all minor and to be expected.

UCDVet wrote: »
    If there is a mutual defence pact (that you intend to honour) - no you would not be neutral. Using the US as an example, as far as I know, Ireland and the US *do not* have a mutual defence pact. If the US goes to war with North Korea - we can maintain our neutral status.

I'm not saying the US cares about Ireland from the goodness of their hearts. But they do have a large financial interest in Ireland and I would expect that they would provide support in the event of someone invading Ireland.

That doesn't mean we aren't neutral or are allied with the US. It means we have strong relations with one another and the US is very well known for securing it's interest abroad.

Yeah, I think you are proving my point - that we are not and never have been neutral.....

......and the Yanks would only intervene to protect their interests - if, by some huge stretch of the imagine, were attacked and the belligerent could persuade the US that they would not adversely damage their interests (or there was a coup and some right nutter took over), the Yanks would just sit there - maybe they'd issue a strongly worded statement.

• Advertisement

the new sight for the steyr is not going smothly, and the Mitsubishi pajeros and Ford Rangers are not fit for purpose.

hmmmmm the sight on the steyr isnt too great heh? How about the the magazines don't fall out when we run (see SA 80)? The new magzine guard (wtf?) isnt rusting (see SA 80)? Th gun doesnt suffer from excessive fouling (16 original).

On the other hand .. it works well within the terms of mounted infantry, easy to handle. Few accidental discharges, allow for compatible accessories (sights, 40mm grenade laucher, heavier barrel and and bigger drum mag for using as a LMG). It has a prove history in first world armies Austria, Australia and many others in a variety of climates. I can see the Steyr in service for another 10 years. Not a bad swop for a mountain of rancid butter in intervention

Well, I wouldn't go basing assessments of the state of our security preparedness on 6 year old reports from the Herald of all places (which was based on an original piece in the Sunday Times).

It was (and is sensationalist rubbish).

The MOWAGs get hammered - they're good kit and they're in demand - which probably indicates we didn't buy enough. At the time there was a problem sourcing parts and some vehicles were being cannibalised to keep others on the road until the parts arrived.

Vehicles coming back from Africa at the time required, as you might imagine, a major overhaul to get them back into top condition.

There were a number of problems when they came into service (mostly, iirc to do with the suspension, and with modifications we had specified) There were some armour cracks (about 30) and they were all minor and to be expected.

All I can say is I speak from experience.
    hmmmmm the sight on the steyr isnt too great heh? How about the the magazines don't fall out when we run (see SA 80)? The new magzine guard (wtf?) isnt rusting (see SA 80)? Th gun doesnt suffer from excessive fouling (16 original).

On the other hand .. it works well within the terms of mounted infantry, easy to handle. Few accidental discharges, allow for compatible accessories (sights, 40mm grenade laucher, heavier barrel and and bigger drum mag for using as a LMG). It has a prove history in first world armies Austria, Australia and many others in a variety of climates. I can see the Steyr in service for another 10 years. Not a bad swop for a mountain of rancid butter in intervention

It does its job, but it has never been loved.

All I can say is I speak from experience.

All I can say is so do I.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Simple thing -

Paris - suspects planned everything down to the minute. They knew that whichever police officer they happen upon be it regular or specialised, they knew there was a high chance they'd be killed. So they had to go for their target and get the hell out of there asap. They couldn't go on an all out spree as this knowledge alone meant they had no chance of survival. (This plan clearly wasn't thought through until the end given they decided to rob a petrol station with cctv and ultimately give away their location.)

Any Irish or British City - suspects plan everything down to the minute. They know that, more than likely, the first police to arrive or happen to be in the vicinity would be unarmed so that provides a crucial few extra minutes to do whatever they desire. Their escape plan wouldn't be so easily tarnished either as the uniform police in the entire city would be unable to do a single thing to stop them. Problem here is simple and it's been stated dozens of times before - the police are exceptionally under-equipped for this scenario or even consider putting such a scenario to an early end whereas in Paris there was an (albeit small) chance that they could. The officers themselves would also be open targets and, like in Paris, would be sought out by these guys. They get the additional disadvantage of not having a sidearm - so now they don't even have a fighting chance.

Not opening the 'arm the gardaí' can of worms here but it's a simple observation. In the overall scheme of things this argument would really apply more so to a British Town or City as the threat to them is considerably greater however it cannot be ignored.

All I can say is so do I.......

Good, but it would appear my experiences are different from yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Are people really comparing the N.Ireland situation to the threat presented from Islamic extremists ect? its whole different beast we ve never had to deal with gunmen going around killing at random almost! i can assure u there ll be no phone call to the local police before a suicide bomber goes into a shopping centre or something!

FGR wrote: »
    Simple thing -

Paris - suspects planned everything down to the minute. They knew that whichever police officer they happen upon be it regular or specialised, they knew there was a high chance they'd be killed. So they had to go for their target and get the hell out of there asap. They couldn't go on an all out spree as this knowledge alone meant they had no chance of survival. (This plan clearly wasn't thought through until the end geiven they decided to rob a petrol station with cctv and ultimately give away their location.)

Is that why they went into number 6, Rue Nicolas-Appert, before realising they had the wrong address - bit early maybe?

EDIT: and left a national id card in the getaway car they abandoned......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Is that why they went into number 6, Rue Nicolas-Appert, before realising they had the wrong address - bit early maybe?

I said they planned everything. Whether they planned it out -properly- is another story altogether. They knew who they wanted and they knew how to get in and how to get out.

If anything it's disturbing that such a ragtag duo were able to accomplish what they had.

FGR wrote: »
    I said they planned everything. Whether they planned it out -properly- is another story altogether. They knew who they wanted and they knew how to get in and how to get out.

If anything it's disturbing that such a ragtag duo were able to accomplish what they had.

except they didn't know the exact address........and you'd have thought if you are going off to carry out an attack like that, you'd dump your id, mobile phones etc......plus have a getaway car / bike about a mile away to swap into when you burn out the initial getaway vehicle......

I know no plan survives contact with the enemy, but these guys didn't even get into contact before it began to seriously unravel for them - thankfully, otherwise it could have been much worse - but it does show the calibre of individual that is supposed to be threatening us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

evo2000 wrote: »
    Are people really comparing the N.Ireland situation to the threat presented from Islamic extremists ect? its whole different beast we ve never had to deal with gunmen going around killing at random almost! i can assure u there ll be no phone call to the local police before a suicide bomber goes into a shopping centre or something!

Yes all those phone calls that saved the shoppers of Omagh and Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder would the IRA/UVF/etc all join together to fight the common enemy, lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

There have been plenty of terrorist attacks commited in Ireland by the British Crown Forces and their proxies.

Yes it does.... No rifle except from Master Chiefs in Halo fits all purposes for all occasions. Every soldier complains about his kit. Be a soldier and man up. Use what you have under the circumstances. what would you rather? H&K varient of a 5.56 FN? We didnt have money on the day. SA 80's or or first rate M4 not going to happen either. Buying from Israel or South Africa might have been playing outside the EU? On the day with the given varibles ..... we got a good deal.

I think we bought from a reputable seller that will supply spares and repair part for years to come. Unlike South Africa (change of Govt change of policy) or Israel (every factory is under treat from rocket attack). Not arguing that either country dont make quality products .......its just you wouldnt want to depend on them.

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder would the IRA/UVF/etc all join together to fight the common enemy, lol?

Martin Cahill ... aka The General? or Islamic fundementalist tearing down Crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Israel (every factory is under treat from rocket attack).

No such country. The country is Palestine, and Palestine is Arab. They have every right to defend their country against invaders who stole their land.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No such country. The country is Palestine, and Palestine is Arab. They have every right to defend their country against invaders who stole their land.

You know it's the likes of you was the reason I stopped being involved in the Palestinian Solidarity movement. I remember being on a march to the Israeli embassy during the bombing of Gaza back in 2010 and some clown (Irish) piped up 'kill the Jews'. I had a go at him but no one else in the crowd (among them several prominent people in the movement) said a word.

Israel needs to be challenged on its military conduct from time to time, but racists and those frankly not living on planet earth debase the movement completely.

EDIT: It was during the flotilla raid in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

You know it's the likes of you was the reason I stopped being involved in the Palestinian Solidarity movement. I remember being on a march to the Israeli embassy during the bombing of Gaza back in 2010 and some clown (Irish) piped up 'kill the Jews'. I had a go at him but no one else in the crowd (among them several prominent people in the movement) said a word.

Israel needs to be challenged on its military conduct from time to time, but racists and those frankly not living on planet earth debase the movement completely.

EDIT: It was during the flotilla raid in 2010.

You will get the odd loonies at most demonstrations.

I have supportted Palestine from a purely humanitarian perspective for quite some time.

All in all most people have behaved with dignity,as have the Palestinians I have met.

gladrags wrote: »
    You will get the odd loonies at most demonstrations.

I have supportted Palestine from a purely humanitarian perspective for quite some time.

All in all most people have behaved with dignity,as have the Palestinians I have met.

There is a toleration of extremism at the head of the movement (and I speak of the regulars and prominent people), it wouldn't be odd or out of place to hear someone banging on about global Zionist banking elites for instance. I attended several meetings back in the day and got weary of nutty views and blatantly anti-semitic tropes being bandied about unchallenged. There is actually a (fragile) peace movement in Israel but the Irish Solidarity movement is more interested in parroting whatever Hamas or Hezbollah have to say instead of building genuine alliances for peace. They're at nothing, and I suspect if Israel didn't exist you'd see the same people at the end of a megaphone shouting nonsense outside the GPO about something else. It's an important issue but they actually can't conceptualize how poorly they serve Palestinians by their actions.

the arguement is to the sustainable chain supply of parts not to whether which group of arabs has squatters right there.....

They have been arguing before leaving the desert about owns what out there and I dont care, as long as it does interfere with me.

They're at nothing, and I suspect if Israel didn't exist you'd see the same people at the end of a megaphone shouting nonsense outside the GPO about something else. It's an important issue but they actually can't conceptualize how poorly they serve Palestinians by their actions.

Sure there is always one :D !!!!

• Advertisement

If you want to make that arguement what about all the settled people who stole Ireland from the tinkers.... there is an arguement for you to win much closer to home. Then at the begining of time there were all the Africans that came here to populate Hibernia,Then the Red headed transients from Siberia. Dont forget the Viking and Roman..... are you going to ask but what have the Romans done for us? Do you want to tell them all to go home too?

Seriously man ..... time and place for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Along with Iceland and Portugal, Ireland is probably the least important country in western europe. Why attack Ireland when you can attack England/france/sweden/italy..literally any other big country in the EU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Along with Iceland and Portugal, Ireland is probably the least important country in western europe. Why attack Ireland when you can attack England/france/sweden/italy..literally any other big country in the EU

There's Islamic terrorists in every country so there's no reason why all can't be attacked including Ireland.

Attacking ireland would get globle attention, it would resonate with the US of A since alot of them claim to have irish heritage, it would be attacking a stop off for US soldiers, while getting rid of the stupid sense of security we have in ireland,

Then we d have the Miriam o callaghan and the likes wondering why security was so low and how they got thru and the answer will be....Ah sure were neutral why would they attack us sur wer grand!

Attacking ireland would get globle attention, it would resonate with the US of A since alot of them claim to have irish heritage, it would be attacking a stop off for US soldiers, while getting rid of the stupid sense of security we have in ireland,

Then we d have the Miriam o callaghan and the likes wondering why security was so low and how they got thru and the answer will be....Ah sure were neutral why would they attack us sur wer grand!

Any attack outside the ME will get global attention - beyond that it wouldn't matter to the US.

We tend overstate our importance to the US.

Any attack outside the ME will get global attention - beyond that it wouldn't matter to the US.

Not sure One third of America claim Irish heritage, When a president need to be relected Sure doesnt he drop by for an auld visit and a pint and some hurling. I think it has cooled off since the 80's but still a great resonance there .... except West virginia and the whole KKK thing. God Bless em dont they work hard to keep those sheets white ...... its like a re run of Django unchained

An attack on any developed country will get global attention. Im not saying an attack on ireland wouldn't be big news, but I just don't believe a dozen dubliners being shot by a terrorist would resonate across the globe in the same way as the paris attacks, or for as long.

Agreed. and to the person who said 1 in 3 americans are of irish descent, its not nearly that high. like 1/3 of americans aren't even white so I doubt half of the white people are of irish descent

Not sure One third of America claim Irish heritage, When a president need to be relected Sure doesnt he drop by for an auld visit and a pint and some hurling. I think it has cooled off since the 80's but still a great resonance there .... except West virginia and the whole KKK thing. God Bless em dont they work hard to keep those sheets white ...... its like a re run of Django unchained

Not really. Obama visited to pay back a debt to Dan Rooney.

Congress is now in Republican hands and will be for at least two years. Just because 'Irish' has traction in the NE of the US and Chicago, but not much beyond that.

Agreed. and to the person who said 1 in 3 americans are of irish descent, its not nearly that high. like 1/3 of americans aren't even white so I doubt half of the white people are of irish descent

Dont forget Muhammed Ali was claiming Irish hertitage... apparently the slave owner used to like burning off excess energy with the slave population after dinner. A dirty part of our history... but still true. Loads of people are interracial over there. Dont even start on Brazil, I was told there are 7 shades of skin tone over there..... no rascism.... all one melting pot.

• Advertisement

Dont forget Muhammed Ali was claiming Irish hertitage... apparently the slave owner used to like burning off excess energy with the slave population after dinner. A dirty part of our history... but still true. Loads of people are interracial over there. Dont even start on Brazil, I was told there are 7 shades of skin tone over there..... no rascism.... all one melting pot.
    lol nope
    people with dark skin (ie. africans and natives) are treated like **** in brazil. The rich and middle class are almost entirely european, lower class almost entirely black or native. The more european looking you are the higher your social status, same goes for most of latin america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

lol nope
    people with dark skin (ie. africans and natives) are treated like **** in brazil. The rich and middle class are almost entirely european, lower class almost entirely black or native. The more european looking you are the higher your social status, same goes for most of latin america

What has any of this got to do with the OP question?

lol nope

Ok if you took out the recent immigrants from Europe in the last 70 years ...there would be racism in South America. Anyone remember that photo of the Speical forces officer who initiated the Falklands surrender to the British he had blonde hair?

but then there would be no Sauerkraut, excellent beer (didnt Brazilian take over Budwieser?), South American Pharmaceuticals, and all the great things we love about a certain country in Europe.

Very uninformed, grady was ali s grandfather and wasnt a slave owner at all!

Very uninformed, grady was ali s grandfather and wasnt a slave owner at all!

please read again there was no direct claim that Muhammad Ali was fathered by a white slave owner but It is true for a massive part of the population. I suppose that was the way back then. Diseases must have been rampant .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If you want to make that arguement what about all the settled people who stole Ireland from the tinkers.... there is an arguement for you to win much closer to home. Then at the begining of time there were all the Africans that came here to populate Hibernia,Then the Red headed transients from Siberia. Dont forget the Viking and Roman..... are you going to ask but what have the Romans done for us? Do you want to tell them all to go home too?

Seriously man ..... time and place for everything
    israel's slaughtering and stealing is modern day and continues because they can get away with it by crying anti-cemitism

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

israel's slaughtering and stealing is modern day and continues because they can get away with it by crying anti-cemitism

Its just the odd one that get upset about. I have two friends one is muslim and the other is jewish and they never get upset about which way the wind is blowing in Jeruselem. they do business have the same friends...... Life is too short to be worry about things we cant change.

please read again there was no direct claim that Muhammad Ali was fathered by a white slave owner but It is true for a massive part of the population. I suppose that was the way back then. Diseases must have been rampant .....

Dont forget Muhammed Ali was claiming Irish hertitage... apparently the slave owner used to like burning off excess energy with the slave population after dinner.

Seems pretty direct to me

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kearnc25

A good number of interracial people over there could also be descended from all the Irish slave women that were forced to mate with African slaves.

• Advertisement

Yes it does.... No rifle except from Master Chiefs in Halo fits all purposes for all occasions. Every soldier complains about his kit. Be a soldier and man up. Use what you have under the circumstances. what would you rather? H&K varient of a 5.56 FN? We didnt have money on the day. SA 80's or or first rate M4 not going to happen either. Buying from Israel or South Africa might have been playing outside the EU? On the day with the given varibles ..... we got a good deal.

I think we bought from a reputable seller that will supply spares and repair part for years to come. Unlike South Africa (change of Govt change of policy) or Israel (every factory is under treat from rocket attack). Not arguing that either country dont make quality products .......its just you wouldnt want to depend on them.

I disregarded you post from earlier, but after reading a few more of yours, I believe you are talking absolute bollixs, my friend!

Advertisement