Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenstar vs Panda

Options
  • 08-01-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,

I live in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown and received a letter from Greenstar offering 6 months free bin collections if I switchover from Panda. Anyone any experience of Greenstar? Will they take 2 green bins per collection.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Dublin County South forum.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Greenstar don't charge per collection for the green bin, I don't know if they will give you two green bins, frankly I doubt it. Shouldn't be a problem with the general refuse (in their case purple) bin as you pay a flat charge per lift and a weight charge (per kg).

Do you have so much glass and cans that you need two green bins collected every week? I'm doing nothing tomorrow night if you'd like me to call over to discuss it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »
    Greenstar don't charge per collection for the green bin, I don't know if they will give you two green bins, frankly I doubt it. Shouldn't be a problem with the general refuse (in their case purple) bin as you pay a flat charge per lift and a weight charge (per kg).
    And with both companies an annual charge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I got the same letter

It seems that Greenstar only collect bins every two weeks. Currently Panda collect the general waste bin weekly and the recycleables every two weeks.

There are no published rates on the greeenstar website - I emailed them looking for details after I got the letter, but no reply received so it doesnt look like I'll be switching - what a stupid waste of marketing spend!

(They also included a large heavy cardboard flyer, with no details of whether it was printed on recycled paper - opportunity missed! The Panda guys will have a laugh when they find it in the green bin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

homer911 wrote: »
    I got the same letter

It seems that Greenstar only collect bins every two weeks. Currently Panda collect the general waste bin weekly and the recycleables every two weeks.

There are no published rates on the greeenstar website - I emailed them looking for details after I got the letter, but no reply received so it doesnt look like I'll be switching - what a stupid waste of marketing spend!

(They also included a large heavy cardboard flyer, with no details of whether it was printed on recycled paper - opportunity missed! The Panda guys will have a laugh when they find it in the green bin)

I was jsut looking into this. There are rates published on Greenstar website:

http://www.greenstar.ie/external-forms/index.php

Comparsion is as follows:

Standing Charge:

Panda - €64 (may go up this year)
    Greenstar - €65

Charge per lift:

Both €3.20 per lift

Charge per Kg:

Panda - .277c per kg
    Greenstar - .26c per kg

In summary if you put 1000kg's out per year you would save €16. However with greenstars offer of 6 months free then this would rise to €207 for 2015 would makes it worthwhile if you can live with fact that greenstar only collect every 2 weeks. However I have never used greenstar so anybody know how reliable they are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

We use Greenstar, they are fine. They collect the black bin one week and the green the other, and they text you in the evening to remind which one is collected the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

As above, we use Greenstar. We have a purple bin (refuse) and two Green (recycling bins), purple gets collected one week and the Greens the following week and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Greenstar have a compost bin which means you should be putting out your normal bin less often, or that putting it out only every second week works fine. The cost per pick up of the compost bin is less than the normal bin so double savings really. I find them fine but I've never used anyone else since moving to the house.

Greenstar have a compost bin which means you should be putting out your normal bin less often, or that putting it out only every second week works fine. The cost per pick up of the compost bin is less than the normal bin so double savings really. I find them fine but I've never used anyone else since moving to the house.
    Not double savings as there is an additional annual fee which you will never make back,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ted1 wrote: »
    Not double savings as there is an additional annual fee which you will never make back,

+1 Greenstar's per kg charge for general waste is 26c, for compost (brown bin) waste it's 15.5c per kg but there is an additional annual charge of €22 for the brown bin which means that you need to leave out 210 kgs in the brown bin to break even. I've ignored the 70c difference in the per lift charges.

• Advertisement

Rang panda this morning saying about the greenstar offer. They gave me 13 free lifts which they claim is the same as greenstar. Only difference is greenstar collect every 2 weeks as oppose to evey one. So really I got 3 months free. But am not tied into an 18 month contract and am supporting an Irish company.

Over the next three months I plan to clear out the house, garden and shed

P. S. It's being a good week. Made a similar call to UPC and got half price for 6 months. Board gais have announced a price cut. I get paid tomorrow and will see the benefit of 15% cut in LPT ( I pay monthly) and there is also less tax to be paid. Roll on 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

We rang Panda a few days ago and they didn't try anything, just said "yep, you can cancel any time".

It all seems a bit odd - when someone from the DLR area rings up and says they want to cancel there's really only one place they are moving to. You would think they (Panda) would actively try to retain customers. I'm only moving because I'm getting 6 months free. It's hard to beat that. I believe Greenstar when they say that their ongoing charges will be the lowest standard charges after the 6 months finish. Maybe I'm gullible. "And we promise to be the lowest price after that*" . . . and . . . "* Lowest price is the standard local renewal rate, special promotional pricing is excluded."

NB - if Panda gave me 13 free lifts I wouldn't be paying them anything for a year and a half or so. I don't put the bin out much. Did they say the 13 lifts must be used within 3 or 6 months or something?

z

zagmund wrote: »
    We rang Panda a few days ago and they didn't try anything, just said "yep, you can cancel any time".

It all seems a bit odd - when someone from the DLR area rings up and says they want to cancel there's really only one place they are moving to. You would think they (Panda) would actively try to retain customers. I'm only moving because I'm getting 6 months free. It's hard to beat that. I believe Greenstar when they say that their ongoing charges will be the lowest standard charges after the 6 months finish. Maybe I'm gullible. "And we promise to be the lowest price after that*" . . . and . . . "* Lowest price is the standard local renewal rate, special promotional pricing is excluded."

NB - if Panda gave me 13 free lifts I wouldn't be paying them anything for a year and a half or so. I don't put the bin out much. Did they say the 13 lifts must be used within 3 or 6 months or something?

z
    It's 13 weeks free. So 3 months. But there is no contract to sign up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Rang panda this morning saying about the greenstar offer. They gave me 13 free lifts which they claim is the same as greenstar. Only difference is greenstar collect every 2 weeks as oppose to evey one. So really I got 3 months free. But am not tied into an 18 month contract and am supporting an Irish company.
    zagmund wrote: »
    For me, Panda told me it was three months of no lift charges - see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93693162&postcount=9 - rather than a specific number of lifts. I presumed it was just waiving the lift charge and not waiving the kg charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Simona1986 wrote: »
    As above, we use Greenstar. We have a purple bin (refuse) and two Green (recycling bins), purple gets collected one week and the Greens the following week and so on.

Can I ask, what do they charge for the extra green bin? We have 2 green bins and panda charge 25 per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Can I ask, what do they charge for the extra green bin? We have 2 green bins and panda charge 25 per annum

I'd say the two green bins referred to are the dry recyclables and the compost bin (both are green). I don't think anyone would need two large dry recycling bins unless they were in a commercial enterprise.

I find Greenstar fine. Although, their marketing and PR is not really up to par. I think all bills should be sent out to email as a PDF if you so choose.
    This would be much easier for me to manage. Instead they only send them out by paper. not very GREEN is it?
    They have said this eBilling is in their plan... Lets hope its soon.

I currently have 2 recycling bins, which we put out every 2-4 weeks, the black maybe every 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

It's 13 weeks free. So 3 months. But there is no contract to sign up to.

Greenstar needs new customers hence the offer.

Panda offered 50% of the annual fee rebated plus 10 weeks free, but I negotiated for fewer collections over 26 weeks (the number of times I'd expect to put the bin out over the 6 months), so effectively the same offer as Greenstar. Happy enough with them, so have saved the hassle of moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭tandcapply

Greenstar needs new customers hence the offer.

Panda offered 50% of the annual fee rebated plus 10 weeks free, but I negotiated for fewer collections over 26 weeks (the number of times I'd expect to put the bin out over the 6 months), so effectively the same offer as Greenstar. Happy enough with them, so have saved the hassle of moving.

Also rang Panda, told them the truth, that I don't want to leave and happy with Panda's collections and etc, but Greenstar offer is tempting.

Got next 13 lifts free (what it means is for the next 13 weeks whether I leave the black bin out or not it'll be free).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

100gSoma wrote: »
    I'd say the two green bins referred to are the dry recyclables and the compost bin (both are green). I don't think anyone would need two large dry recycling bins unless they were in a commercial enterprise.

I find Greenstar fine. Although, their marketing and PR is not really up to par. I think all bills should be sent out to email as a PDF if you so choose.
    This would be much easier for me to manage. Instead they only send them out by paper. not very GREEN is it?
    They have said this eBilling is in their plan... Lets hope its soon.

The two green bins are both recycling bins. I house-share with 4 other 20-30 year olds and we tend to fill both recycling bins every two weeks. We only put the purple (refuse) bins out every month or so.

I will check the bills as to the cost of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Had the man from Greenstar around the other night (with Panda atm) and am tempted to switch, one thing I didn't ask him was what about old bins do they take them away or do you have to try to get Panda to do it?

acermaple wrote: »
    Had the man from Greenstar around the other night (with Panda atm) and am tempted to switch, one thing I didn't ask him was what about old bins do they take them away or do you have to try to get Panda to do it?

Bins belong to panda. Worth calling panda, I got a great deal with them this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Panda seem to have a dedicated team for retention. I'm happy to stay with them given the deal I got.

Sent greensatr a query on my invoice on monday last (16th). no reply as of yet.
    resent it today. They say a reply can take up to two working days. That's 5 now. hmmm. Kind of regretting not taknig Panda up on their 6 months free offer that came in the door! I also need the ability to review or print my past invoices online. Greenstar do not have this. They do not even have ebilling. Not very green.
    feeling a bit sour now... If anyone from GS sees this. Get reply to your queries.
    thanks

one other thing I just noticed... Panda don't take glass in their green bin. I use this feature a lot with the greenstar bin. Between beer/wine/jars we have quite a bit of glass each week or two. I guess it would mean loading a box and driving to the local recycle station each week or two. not a huge deal, but it is very handy to just dump glass into the greenstar green bin. So thats one advantage GS have over Panda. Otherwise though, I'd prefer Panda. Especially with their MUCH better online expereince. view and print past bills etc. Nothing like that on greenstar. That should be a very basic thing. view and print past invoices.

one other thing I just noticed... Panda don't take glass in their green bin. I use this feature a lot with the greenstar bin. Between beer/wine/jars we have quite a bit of glass each week or two. I guess it would mean loading a box and driving to the local recycle station each week or two. not a huge deal, but it is very handy to just dump glass into the greenstar green bin. So thats one advantage GS have over Panda. Otherwise though, I'd prefer Panda. Especially with their MUCH better online expereince. view and print past bills etc. Nothing like that on greenstar. That should be a very basic thing. view and print past invoices.

Panda take glass in our area.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Panda take glass in our area.

that's strange? Evry reference on their website to glass says NO.
    https://www.panda.ie/household/what-can-i-put-in-my-bin/green-bin.html

Sounds like they should update their website so. That's a big selling point especially for people they are trying to lure away from Grenestar.

that's strange? Evry reference on their website to glass says NO.
    https://www.panda.ie/household/what-can-i-put-in-my-bin/green-bin.html

Sounds like they should update their website so. That's a big selling point especially for people they are trying to lure away from Grenestar.

Interesting. I wonder if it's to do with which depot is lifting the waste. It was important to us as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Thanks for the advice folks, rang Panda today and told them I wanted to change, offered free black bin collection til mid July and half price standing charge for the year so I'll stick with them for the moment:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

acermaple wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice folks, rang Panda today and told them I wanted to change, offered free black bin collection til mid July and half price standing charge for the year so I'll stick with them for the moment:).

So when they say 'free black bin' - does that mean no charges at all - no lift charge and no per kg charge?

Advertisement